1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Multiple romances

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Astin X, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Jurts Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Indeed, our perception of all the NPC's varies quite heavily, but I will never accept that they are underdeveloped personalities. Perhaps you just haven't taken your time to explore all their banters, background and many other things that the game presents you with. If after all of that you are still able to see those three as capable to share one man between them, then perhaps we are too different persons to ever find a consensus on this subject.

Though, I would be surprised if many other would interpret their personalities the way you do.

I find it much more understandable if someone who uses multi-romance admits that he does it because of total lack of time, or just because he's a little cheesy bastard... :p But to actually justify it based on perverted and twisted (strong words indeed :p ) interpretations of the NPC's - that's just too difficult for me to comprehend.

2. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    We've made our points.

MasterPoet and Foradasthar have made theirs, which I respect. Perhaps its best to leave it at that.

P.S.: ** Jurts ** Tal just put up the NPC Interactions Guide that I put together. You might want to check it out to see how Jaheira interacts with the NPCs you haven't touched before. ;)

3. Jurts Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Hehe, well actually I've done a quite thorough exploration of NPC banters with IE... "professional" reasons... :rolleyes:
    But I'll check it out anyways, IE is quite inconvenient to use for dialogue reading...

4. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I waited until this next morning to see if you could still at least give some sign of even understanding my point.

I don't interpret their personalities the way you seem to think I do. I simply don't raise them on a holy pedestal of divinity, outruling all other form of behaviour but what I deem to be true.

I've not read any docs about each and every comment those characters make during the game. I've not read any developer's comments or suchlike about them either. But I've played the game through several times and had tens of parties with some of the characters in question in them. And according to what I remember about their dialogues, they really didn't bring about anything special about their personalities save the standard requirements that're needed in order to make an NPC-persona believable.

Through adding dialogue, you can do quite a few things to a game's character in any circumstance. This case is no different from any other.

[ April 16, 2003, 07:01: Message edited by: Foradasthar ]

5. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I originally posted here to express my opinion that the roleplaying merits of the multi-romance mode, its credibility, is open to question.

Since then, this is now starting to look like a flame war.

Masterpoet, if you're too busy and that's the reason you're doing it, I totally respect it. My opinion remains unchanged, but I see where you're coming from.

Anyway, for the time being, let's just accept that each of us have firmly held opinions on the matter and step back some.

6. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well since this is obviously a me vs you situation, it can't really be a flamewar. I've no emotions attached to this little debate of ours whatsoever.

My views of the characters are probably exactly the same as yours, only difference is that I believe there's room enough in them to make a new path to their personalities, instead of continuing on the old one.

As long as people understand that the difference is only in their opinions, I've nothing to say against it. But when it gets to the "I'm right because it's me who's saying so", that's when it gets on my nerves. The original post was more to point out that there is no one right answer to what is roleplaying, and what isn't, as long as it's a matter of a personal experience.

7. TheBard Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

[​IMG] *didn't realize he was debating with someone*

Beren, I agree. When I play a game the first time I do it probably just like you.

:D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.