1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Multiple romances

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Astin X, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Astin X Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I know that it is possible to have multiple romances with various mods, but I am not sure about the restrictions. I generally would like to play a game with both two going at the same time - probably Aerie and Viconia - but I am uncertain if the romance ends if you remove them from the party just for a moment.

2. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I've never used them but it probably ends.

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] If you leave the NPCs out of the party for more than 3 days the romance is over. Unless it is jahiera who you must NEVER kick out unless she leaves voluntarily

4. TheBard Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Instead of starting a new thread, I figured I'd bring this one up.

I continued an SOA game into TOB. I had three romances going on with no problems (using the mod for concurrent romances). Suddnenly, in TOB, all romances but Aerie is at Global 3. Meaning they are ruined. Does the concurrent mod not work with TOB? And if not, what does?

thank you.

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I had the same problem. You used a SoA only mod, when you should use SoA+ToB one. Just read the descriptions and/or ReadMe.

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] You can use CLUAConsole to restart the romances can't you? then just put time and events forward, do one romance, stop it, start another then another...

but only if you're desperate :p

7. Jurts Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Yay, multiromance, yay :)
    Yay, bugs, yay :)

8. TheBard Gems: 5/31

Veteran

The concurrent romanaces I installed had TOB versions installed as well. However, when I use CLUA to reset them to 2 (in love) they automatically reset to 3 (ruined). The lovetalks are all at a high level for each of them

Viconia 77 (though I thought 76 was max)
    Jaheira over 50
    Aerie over 50 as well

Aerie is the only one that continues the romance. All the rest won't work. I've played all the way passed the fall of that city waiting for Viccy to put in her two cents when the alignment change comes up. nothing.

Is there a way to reset the romances w/o them resetting back to 3 again? Confused.

9. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'll admit, the multiromance can have a certain appeal, but I have to wonder about its merits from a roleplaying perspective.

One night, you're taking advantage of a (at last early on) self-absorbed and vulnerable blonde elf girl.

Next night, you're courting someone you know has committed murder and god knows what else for pleasure many times before you were even born.

Next night, some way, somehow, you're going to try and score the stern and philosophical Jaheira.
    (I'm in love with this half-elf, but I'm trying to reduce everything to archetypes for this discussion).

Somewhere along the way, don't you think the protagonist would deserve to have this project blow up in his face at some point? I think Bioware was fully justified in forcing you to choose one and one only, considering how disparate the three personalities are.

And then to invite various bugs with the mod ...

Let's just say that Jaheira is more than good enough for this gamer.

10. Jurts Gems: 7/31

Well, I'm not going to be that polite and say that the fact that multiromance scripts are so buggy is an enormous blessing :p Those who use it, deserve every bug they can get, heh and seeing them complain later does my heart good :p

11. TheBard Gems: 5/31

Veteran

well, that was informative and worthless.

The reason for using the multiple romance mods is to see what all they say, do, and the extra quests and suspense they bring. Some of us don't have much time to devote to a game. For us, using the multi mod saves us time in beating the game three or more times for the sole purpose of seeing what happens in the romance sequences.

I'd love to be able to just play this game through repeatedly and try all sorts of new things each time. However, the desire to have a roof over my head and a full stomach makes that a no-gainer.

So, I'd simply like to find out how this can be rectified w/o having to dig through people who take this "role playing" part to psychologically dangerous extremes. I just want to see what happens and how it works. Man, I'm just a horrible person. LOL

12. Jurts Gems: 7/31

Pah, then DL the InfinityExplorer and just read through the romance dialogues, the fun level is about the same.

13. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I appreciate that there are other things going on in a person's life. On the other hand ...

Insisting that there be some credibility to what your protagonist is up to does not quite add up to 'taking roleplaying to psychological extremes'. I'll provide an example that has nothing to do with the romances.

Whenever I use my good party, I always bring Keldorn along. Besides kicking *** with Carsomyr, he does possess a certain Sean Connery-esque dignity and manner that I can always respect. However, he just won't suffer the company of Viconia on moral grounds. Sure, I'd like to have them both in my party (both would have awesome magic resistance), but as a good aligned elf fighter/mage, I have to respect Keldorn's wishes. There are a number of ways to get around it, but then it doesn't really make sense given Keldorn's personality.

Where the multiple romances are concerned, it just doesn't make sense that you can get action with innocent Aerie, evil Viccy, gritty Jaheira, and none of them mind you getting some with the others. Also, I don't really think that a guy who is deserving of Jaheira's heart would ever fall in with somebody like Viconia.

While I enjoy aspects of both powergaming and roleplaying, and have argued that they aren't necessarily exclusive, in my games I try to maintain a certain amount of credibility with what I'm doing.

I'm not trying to flame here, but I hope it's seen where I'm coming from.

14. TheBard Gems: 5/31

Veteran

I play the same way.

As a matter of fact, the first time I played BGII through I imported my female paladin from my completed BGI game. LOL You can imagine that I'd had no idea that romances were even IN the game (I think I'd shut Anomen down early on as I'm a guy IRL). In BGI, I'd never had Vic in the group.
    I rescued her and set her free. In the second game, I'd stuck to that line of thinking and just released her when I'd rescued her from the mob.

I do roleplay. However, this is now the fourth time I've gone through this very long game and I simply wanted to play this one a little more completely. I wanted to see what the other strongholds were like (I always play a paladin, cleric, or fighter/mage). I wanted to see what all happened with the various romances. And I wanted to complete as many side quests as I could (I actually started reading the walkthrough to see what I'd missed).

All this just brings up that I've played D&D since it was the red for basic, blue for expert, green for companion, black for master, and gold for immortal books. I just want to speed things up because I don't have time anymore.

I see your point. I just wanted to show mine.
    And I'd like to STILL know how to fix this. :)

15. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] Masterpoet - in ToB you can only have ONE romance at any given time, because that's how it works

The only way would be to play through ToB 3 times or perhaps get IDU to read the dialogues as you would say them, sorry, I don't think you can get round this one.

16. TheBard Gems: 5/31

Veteran

[​IMG] Now THAT was an informative reply.

Thank you 8 people, that was all I was looking for LOL. I wasn't sure if there was a mod for it.

:)

17. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

No-one can ever really judge another's way of playing the game. If one of us here had a fantasy of having **** sex *** with Irenicus while *** Bodhi **** and (insert something you consider very delicate and untouchable), it still isn't any of your business (note: all of the crossmarks are there only for emphasis, they're not censored profanities). I can well imagine someone might want to have multiple romances at the same time. And even though I might not want to do that, I don't have anything against it either just for that reason.

There are numerous ways to roleplay your character, and none of them is the "one right way". When it's about multiplayer, then it's important that the players are in the same so-called wavelength in their gaming preferences, of course. But in singleplayer it's none of anybode else's business. The only reason I'd go saying that it's not roleplaying when you're playing multiple romances at the same time, would be because the romances obviously don't count in each other. If someone made an actual mod where these potential romantical interests would interact with each other as if they were aware of it all, then that problem would be fixed as well.

Neither Aerie, nor Jaheira, nor Viconia is detailed enough of a character for anyone to be able to rightfully claim and prove that "she's not like that". If you simply add (and/or change) some dialogue, you could easily make room in their personalities for this.

18. TheBard Gems: 5/31

Veteran

[​IMG] :eek:

do you mean it's actually a game? Not real life? Viconia doesn't really LOVE ME? :confused:

LOL Yeah, that was my point as well. Sometimes people need to back up and realize it's a computer screen, and not a window. *concurs*

btw, I'd still like to see the multiples continue in TOB, but i'm crazy, I know.

19. Jurts Gems: 7/31

So you claim that the personalities of these NPC's are undeveloped to that extent that you can actually see any of them getting involved in a polygamic relationship? Can you see any of them sharing the PC's bed with each other after the insults they sling each others way?

I think you are in desperate need of correction... you are all welcome to use multi-romance of course and experience it's bugs, but do not put up such cheap excuses under the pretenses of false role-playing. Underdeveloped personalities... pah.

20. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Undeveloped personalities indeed. All of the fits of anger can quite easily enough be fit into a larger hate-love relationship between the women and the protagonist (yes, I deliberately dump Anomen out of this). Much in the same fashion as in the romance with Viconia.

If you look at it all from an objective viewpoint, all that the dialogues really do is give a very stereotypical, shallow impression on each of the characters. There's no way of truly knowing the many colours of the personality that is... well enter any character you wish. What you believe to be their personality is nothing but your own image of it. I'm willing to accept this, and so should you.

Your very own exclamation of "pretenses of false role-playing", proves that you're not willing to look at the matter from another angle at all.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.