1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Motion of censure

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by khaavern, Mar 16, 2006.

1. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Well, let's say that I don't get started on the problems of capitalism either and call it quits :)

Still, just one note: with direct investment in the market there is always the risk that the state will not invest wisely and the large investment can cause some unforeseen circumstances. If you so much want to put the money somewhere, depositing it within a series of banks may be wiser - there are the people who are supposed to know how to invest best anyway (plus, you don't need to employ people in the government to do exactly that, and I suppose you are against large governments).

Basically, I admit I do not have enough knowledge about the American Social Security system to speak with certainty, but the current idea doesn't sound so bad. Every country faces the problem with aging population, some have it way worse than the US. If Bush wants to change the system so drastically, it could possibly work, but it has to be thought out well. I have seen enough schemes for basically syphoning out people's money as "investment" and "social security" in my country to trust something simply because it is either "state-managed" or "private".
    Anyway, GG, the part about the IOUs sounded somewhat weird... What do you mean, that there have been times when the government simply told the people who were due a SS check "Sorry folks, your money went over to Japan to pay for our deficit, better luck next time." That sounds a bit unlikely to me.

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

To put it simply, either you are wrong or every single professional economist I've ever talked to in my life was wrong. You'll have to excuse me if I don't lean your way. ;)
    :D Hey, I never said it was fair, just that SS counts on that to stock their coffers for the people it pays. Life's a b****, and so is death. :heh:

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    OK now, open a Social Security thread if you're interested in that topic. This one happens to be about censuring Bush...

4. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Oops, sorry for inadvertently contributing to highjack the topic
    \me hangs head in shame

Anyway, if the motion of censure does nothing else than express the Congress' dissatisfaction with the President, what is the point of making it a big deal? Even a lot of Republicans have sometimes expressed that they are unhappy with Bush's decisions (as far as the news here shows), so what would change? It seems a bit like a waste of time, really.

5. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think the reason for the motion of censure is that there is no way on God's green earth that the republican dominated congress will approve impeachment, but a great many republicans would probably allow a censure.....which is (only a little) better than nothing.

6. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Well, comparing the effect with the time wasted that could possibly be put to good use actually doing something for the country, I'd say very little better than nothing :) Then again, it's not as if an assembly can't use its time and energy to pass laws that actually harm the country.

7. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Now you're getting it. In the view of many of our founders, a government that does nothing is often better than a government that does something.

8. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Trust me, I believe they themselves had no idea how right their words could be.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.