1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

MotB crafting

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Beren, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think I understand the new system. But one thing I don't like about it is that there appears to be less options. (e.g. making your weapons inflict holy damage or damage on chaotic creatures, making your weapons keen edged, etc.)

Are there any recipes for these? And if you have to give spoilers, don't worry about it. ;)

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    From what I tried the old receipes still work, but i simply used the ones I had written down. Thus far I didn't find any books listing the old receipes.

I created a holy sword and a flaming sword with massice criticals. Worked.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Where did you get the essences?

Or do the new essences map somehow to the old ones? From what I recall, there were four levels in the old essences (faint, weak, glowing and radiant)and only three now (volatile, brilliant and pristine).

I assume you can get the gems... I already have a blue diamond acouple rubies and a star sapphire... though I'm not sure where I got them :)

4. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

This is what I came up with:

The new MotB essences are dropped by monsters.

You might find distillable bodyparts at merchants however.

Gems are not required for MotB recipes.

And as Ragusa says at least some of the OC recipes should still work.

And there isn't less options than the OC, Beren. On the contrary.

An item can hold 4 enchantments now, if you are an Epic Level crafter, and I.E. weapons can now be enchanted with Dispel, Haste, Stat drains and various mind effects besides the usual damage enchantments.

There is a couple of good MotB crafting guides out there.

If you guys thinks it is appropriate, I'll link them here?

[ October 30, 2007, 10:44: Message edited by: Ironhawk Skylord ]

5. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'll end up linking at least one of them when I write a walkthrough for MotB anyway. :p ;)

6. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ha! Second time through and I was able to get TWO Shadow of the Void essences by running around for five minutes :lol:

Now, what will I do with the second one I wonder...

8. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I haven't really spent much time crafting, but I did notice that the odd monster from the OC will now drop essences from MotB, as I got a number of volatile essences while I was playing through my evil campaign.

9. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I finally got around to making and enchanting a pair of kukris for my finesse fighter last night and all I can say is Yikes! There may not be anywhere near the variety of choices as there were for OC recipes but the elemental damage amounts are huge! The minute I enchanted those kukris the difficulty of the game fell through the floor. 12 attacks/round unhasted with that much bonus elemental damage is sick and wrong.

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Using the Shadow of the Void or Shape of Fire essences to enchant a weapon is amazing: 6D6 Cold or Fire damage; only negative you get is some fire or cold vulnerability along with it.

11. JSBB Gems: 31/31

This time through I have been using mainly suppress so I have not been getting spirit essences or the unique essences - maybe next time (when I will be playing an evil character) I will be able to try that.

My kukris are currently both +6 with 3D6 Fire and Electrical and 3D6 Cold and Electrical damage respectively. I will see how the essence supply goes but I am hoping to end up with both kukris being +8 with 5D6 fire, cold, and electrical damage. I don't know if the additional hits of the +8 would make up for the lesser damage from not being able to take another elemental damage type but given that Safiya can't cast the acid spells it isn't really an issue.

12. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I would advise that Suppress is not the way to go. IMO, using Devour Spirit once per day or Eternal Rest multiple times is better. Using Devour Spirit is a neutral act according to the game, and Eternal Rest is a Good act; you do not have to be evil to use either of them.

The Shadow of the Void essence(s) can be obtained by using Eternal Rest, so you should be able to get one or two of those at least even if you don't want to use Devour Spirit. I can understand if you don't want to take the Spirit of Fire essence (but I did both runs so far :) ), or some of the other unique essences (I didn't get any of the others).

13. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I promised this silly glowing bear that I am travelling with that I wouldn't go around eating spirits and I am trying to keep my word on that. My craving level is as low as it can be so I have not really been having too much trouble with hunger. I don't have eternal rest which probably means that I missed it somehow.

14. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Don't eat the telthors then; eat the multiple elementals you run across. Besides: Why is it better to kill a spirit that's attacking you vs. devouring it? I interpreted Okku's desire as not to eat any that weren't directly threatening.

The place you get Eternal Rest is in the Death God's Vault in the crematorium. You didn't necessarily have to encounter it until near the end, but there's nothing preventing you either. It's not that big of a deal since there aren't that many undead around other than in the Death God's Vault or the shadow plane, but it comes in handy occasionally.

15. JSBB Gems: 31/31

From the way that they were talking it seemed to me that killing the spirits just sends them off from the prime material plane on to wherever the spirits go next while devouring them means that they completely cease to exist. I suppose I could eat a few elementals.

For the most part it seems like too much work to eat spirits. Well over half of the time when I have tried to eat something one of my followers has killed it before the devour fully activated. I suppose I could just go for them when they are at full health but I gather that you don't get spirit/special essences from doing that so that wouldn't help with crafting.

16. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Right; you don't get a spirit essence unless you kill them with it. I would usually take on something the other's weren't and then use Devour Spirit or Eternal Rest when it reached Near Death. Occasionally, I would just disengage them from the fight when the monster was getting low on health and issue a quick "Hold Your Ground" broadcast command to keep them out.

17. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I got eternal rest last night and proceeded to chow down on a bunch of the undead critters in the Dead God's Vault. I am up to two pristine spirit essences so it looks like I may be able to use a spirit essence recipe by the time Safiya hits level 30. I also picked up a ton and a hal of other essences down there so I am already most of the way towards having what I will need to make my maxed out weapons.

The thieves-guild crafting guide that Ironhawk linked to has a lot of options that were missing from the guide that I downloaded. I think I will stick with elemental damage for my weapons though.

18. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    You won't be able to use Pristine Spirit essences until you get Malleate Spirit (which you can get in the academy). You can however use up to four Brilliant Spirit essences with Mold Spirit (if you got that).

Actually I have been assuming you got Mold Spirit. I hope you did, otherwise the Spirit essences are useless I think...

Did you get one or two Shadow of the Void essences right after you got Eternal Rest? Very powerful essences that you only need Mold Spirit to craft with.

Oh, and Safiya didn't get as high as 30 in my first game. Probably because I started with a 20th level character (who did reach 30th level)

19. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I didn't get any Shadow of the Void essences and I took out at least one of each type of undead that I ran into down there with eternal rest. So far the only unique essence that I have got is Myrkul's essence and the only recipe that I see for it is for a scythe that gives a hideous penalty to AC so I am not interested.

I had mold spirit and I got malleate spirit tonight. I just finished my chat with the Founder and my character is at level 28 (would be 30 if I wasn't playing as a drow). Safiya is level 26 I think so I suspect that she will not hit level 30. Oh well, when she hits level 27 I guess I will finish enchanting my kukris. 12d6 elemental damage per hit should be nasty enough anyway.

20. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Ah! Good opportunity to use the spoiler tags: Here's how you get the Shadow of the Void essences:

If you use the dialog choice to use Eternal Rest on the furnace, two Shadow of the Void monsters appear and attack you (they look like wraiths). You can use Eternal Rest on one of them easily, but since there's a 5 minute rest on the ability, in order to get the second, you need to run around for a while :)

Ironhawk Skylord likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.