1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Most upsetting character death? *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by joacqin, Sep 22, 2004.

1. -Green_Knight- Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Eddard Stark's death was really something, because it so clearly stated that the Game of Thrones is not your average heroic fantasy series. So that was a good death really.

Since then Mr. Martin, in my own expert opinion of course, has gone completely overboard and deleted a lot of likeable characters. A few deaths are OK, but by the time of a Feast for Crows I was really starting to get a bit tired by spending a lot of time getting to know characters and then having them put down.

Ah well.

2. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    The ending of the War of the spider book: Resurrection

I really liked Pharaun the wizard, and his death left much to be desired. Also disapointed about what happend to Halisstra.

3. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

@ The Magister

I have read all of the other books in that series except for the last but someone told me what happens. Pharaun was probably the best character in the book and it is a pity that he died.

Edit: Also Maeve Flechters death in Shockwave by Clive cussler was pretty unexpected

4. Ironmancal2131

Ironmancal2131 Nice head, I think I'll take it

I actually stopped reading the War of the Spider Queen series once Ryld got killed by the Draegloth.

5. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Little Paul in Dickens' Dombey and Son.

May be topped in the last Harry Potter book, depending on who Rowling kills.

6. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Ironhide in Transformers The Movie. Its not a book though, but it pissed me off a tad when I was a kid.

as for deaths in books I would have to say Garet Jax from the thrid Shannara book was a bitter drink to pour down. Damn that Terry Brooks, he allways kills off the cool ones.

7. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Alice in Stephen King's Cell. After all she has gone through, the way she died was just unforgivably tragic... only to prove that humans are its own worse enemy, time and time again.

8. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The only ones that come to mind at the moment for me, and one of the isn't really a death as such, are Stormy at the end of Koontz's "Odd Thomas", and Elvis' passing over at the end of "Brother Odd"

9. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I still can't believe JK Rowling killed Ron and Ginny, then Harry ended up marrying Hermoine - Total shocker!!!

10. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Good one, Belisarius. :D

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Tanaros Blacksword in Godslayer by Jacqueline Carey.

12. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

The Gentlemen Bastards in The Lies of Locke Lamora, and Nazcz Barsavi. Her death in particular was quite affecting. Just for what happens to her, how she's delivered to her father.

13. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Grand Admiral Thrawn at the end of Timothy Zahn's Star Wars book "The Last Command". He was pretty wicked and had such potential.

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Lee Scoresby in the subtle knife. shame to die with one bullet left... :(

and not so much sad as tragic: Will Parry's dad. That sucked big time.

15. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Elizabeth Hart's car accident in The Cat Who Dropped A Bombshell. She had such potential.

16. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

The Fool/Beloved's shortlived death was tough for me, as well as Nighteyes'.

17. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    George, Tonks and prof. Lupin from Harry Potter 7. All three left me thinking "But she's joking, right!!?"

18. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I second that statement Urith. :(

19. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I recently finished the final Harry Potter book and the death that troubled me the most was Hedwig. I couldn't believe she killed off the snowy owl. I'm already dreading movie 7 because of it. After reading and seeing the first movie my son became enamoured with owls and especially snowy owls. We have a couple of stuffed animal owls in honor of Hedwig. He may be 13 or 14 when the 7th movie comes out, but I can guarantee he will ball his eyes out.

20. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I read some on line Q&A where she explained that Hedwig's death was symbolic of the end of Harry's innocence. Not sure I buy it, but that is what Rowlings said.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.