1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Most upsetting character death? *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by joacqin, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

burrich and the fool's deaths in fool's fate :(

not quite as bad as nighteyes but i was kinda tearing :o

2. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Dumbledore's death :( :( :(
    I actually teared up.

3. Lord Garak Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Druss dying at the end of Legend and Waylander at the of Hero in the Shadows and Jianna, Stavut and Shakul in The Swords of Night and Day.Though I'm not sure if Jianna raelly died. It was either her or Askari. But it's still sad (I liked both of'em).

4. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

actually waylanders death seemed more like a happy event to me...he wanted to die

5. SatansBedFellow Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I was more than merely angry at the death of Griffen in H.G.Wells' "The Invisible Man". Wells described him as
    But the moronic inhabitants of this provincial England, through their constant prying, bring about the doom of this splendid mind. For Shame!

6. booger Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Wow, reading through this post was very nostalgic for me, in a sad yet nice way. I like remembering good bookse even if they have sad bits in them. Somehow all the deaths I really remember were all from the same series (Dragonlance). Strange, and although I'm sure there are more if I thought about it harder, I'll just post my feelings on the ones that are on my mind after reading through the thread.
    For me, Sturm's death definitely was an upsetting and memorable one, but the fact that it was honourable made me able to deal with it. I was really upset after reading it though...I think I was in 7th grade at the time when I first read it.

Another death already mentioned would be Flint's, I think this affected me even more; all the foreshadowing in the world couldn't have prepared me for it. Tas's reaction made it even sadder.

Fizban's "death" initially shocked me, although it didn't really bother me all that much I just didn't expect it. I really like old wizard characters, so maybe thats got something to do with it.

7. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Flint and Tasslehoff from the Dragonlance books. Both deaths are somewhat assuaged by them meeting up in the afterlife, but it's still a shame. :cry:

I was still sad to see Sturm go, but at least he died the way he lived, as a true hero. If he wasn't a paladin, he sure as the Abyss deserved to be. Sturm had a good death in battle, but Flint having a heart attack just seemed cheap to me. And Tasslehoff was just so damn fun; they never should have killed him off! :mad:

8. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Just thinking about Flint's death makes me sad.

9. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    I think it was Lord Morham from the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant...granted he didn't die of anything other than old age, but when I started the second trilogy and he wasn't in it I was dismayed...I wanted him to make an appearence!

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Leptines' death in Tyrant by Valerio Massimo Manfredi :( Also Biton, Iolaus and Doricus to lesser extents in that order.

11. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Owen Deathstalker on Mistworld all alone.
    Kevin Laine as he takes up the mantle of Liadon in The Fionavar Tapestry.

12. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Yeh, my two worst have been Moiraine's in Wheel of Time and Dumbledore's in Harry Potter

13. Whoa.KinG Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Jaheira and Imoen dying in BG2: TOB novel was the worst ever for me! Especially like the other person said before about playin with them at your side all games and reading all the books. Then of course there was Pharaun in War of the Spider Queen, if anyone shouldn't have died it shoulda been him.

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

and I now want to kick my own ass for reading the end of that last post :mad: :bang:

Aitrus in Myst: The Book of Ti'Ana :cry:

15. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Nighteyes' death was upsetting.

I just read Odd Thomas, and Stormy's death really upset me. I was so angry, after the last ray of hope, everything's going to be okay....

Nope. She dead. *Sob*

16. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31

Verity's death shook me. It wasn't even necessary, as you find out a little while later, its not needed.Even sadder is that if he had brung(brought?) Fitz with him in the first place he would not have had to do it.

17. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Noah Crane in An Eye for an Eye by Gerald Seymour. Poor bastard..

18. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Heh. I think I'm now glad that I knew in advance that Pharaun was going to die in WotSQ because judging from how pissed off I got when I knew it was going to happen, I would've flipped if it was a surprise.

He was one of the coolest FR characters in a long time, right up there with Jaraxle and Entreri. What a damn waste.

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Maggie Robbins in The Dig by Alan Dean Foster. At least the few pages where she was actually dead :rolleyes: . It was just so sad, I felt exactly like I did at the end of The Remains of the Day when there's this understated, never spoken aloud love but you know exactly what the protagonist is feeling and he only realizes it when he can no longer say it.

20. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Resurrection!!

Broxigar the Orc in Richard A Knaak's Warcraft: War of the Ancients trilogy :(

Like Nighteyes, you could kind of see it coming from the very start, but he was the most noble and likeable character in the books so it still kinda miiffed me. What a way to go though, he held back Sargeras, the Dark Titan himself :cry:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.