1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Most powerful class?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Stardust, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Stardust Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I'm sure this has been done before but now it's made again :)

Which class do you think is the game mechanicly most powerful. Personally I think it is a wild mage because of thier ability to cast incredibly many spells of the same level (usually lvl 9 or 10).

2. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

My vote goes for wild mage aswell. That level increase comes in real handy to take down critters quickly if you are lucky enough to have a good increase.

3. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Definitely the Wild Mage.

With Limited Wish restoring you NRD's you can go on and on. :evil:

4. Redrake Gems: 7/31

Veteran

There is no most powerfull class. Depends on everyone's style.

5. Stardust Gems: 7/31

@ Redrake

This isn't a really well balanced game, a paladin for example is not even close to the power of a wild mage.

6. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I agree with Stardust. A ranger will almost always fall against the power of a high level mage, even if the ranger is the same level. And if you have ever tried the beastmaster, you will know that the classes in this game are way unbalanced.

7. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Thta's because spellcasters ARE the most powerful classes in the game, being able to dish out more damage than any other; the counterbalance to this is the high amount of XP they need to level up.

Blades are probably the most mechanically powerful out of the classes in BG2 (SURPRISE), since they can be extremely powerful fighters, get mage spells, and only need Thief XP to level up, as well as UAI at high levels.

8. Night_Heaven Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I think a sorcerer will beat down a wild mage :p

9. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Sorcerer can be most powerful if he has picked the good spells (which is easy enough to choose), but WM still has the ability to cast ANY spell in the game via NRD and a little bit of luck. And some unexpected good Wild Surges can completely make WM uber:spell refreshments, no saving throws allowed, area effects, etc. etc.

10. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I tend to find the Cleric-Mage multiclass to be most effective, although that's as much a result of overpowered equipment in the game as the natural strengths of the class.

11. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I agree, C/M is very powerful, but it needs huge amounts of XP. At 6M XP, they can really use the power of magery offensively to contirubute their cleric abilities:Time Stop, and then Harm=Auto hit, one dead enemy, no saving throw at all.

At low XP, the MC has too few levels of experience in both classes, single classes tend to reach high spell levels faster and easier, which makes them super powerful.

12. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    No, a sorcerer just won't cut it. Why? Basically because a WM has an unlimited supply of lvl 9 spells, and will access them sooner than a sorcerer.

A WM can cast more high-level spells than a sorcerer during a chain of time-stops and limited wishes. This is however very cheesy, since you can talk to limited wish djinns during a time stop.

The good side is that the wild surge effects take place only after the duration of the time stops expire. But cheesy or not, it still has an element of possible and terrible failure. If a WM's luck runs out, you're knee deep in trouble, like polymorphed, paralyzed or almost anything else, most probably all possible ill effects that you can encounter. Better hope your WM makes her saves! :D

13. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I know what you are talking about, bad wild surges are often disastrous, but good wild surges really win the battle at hand. It is a gamble WMs enjoy taking.

You say sorcerers gain acces to level 9 spells later, both mages and sorcerers do get 9th lvl spells and their first HLA at level 18, for 3M XP. Ofcourse, once the WM has a 9th spell copied in his spell book, he can 'try' to cast it via NRD. (which is not a sure thing and often dangerous or fatal at low levels of experience) I casted a TimeStop at level 14, and also got refreshed all my other spells due to Wild Surge:now that was an extremely lucky roll on my behalf.

14. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Druid

:p
    Agreed

15. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

In BG2, magic rules. Any type of wizard will kick ass to different degrees, but noone else can match them in this game.

16. Stardust Gems: 7/31

The only class I can think if that would be able to kill a powerful wizard fairly easy would be a figther/mage using breach + timestop.

17. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    But even then you are using Mage levels.

Besides, using Timestop, a Mage could beat a Mage so a F/M isn't a great example.

18. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Hmmh... well, it depends upon levels. Low-level Mage could very well lose to fighter of same level, but oh my, how the tables turn at higher levels!
    Monks are weak at low levels, but when they get to high ones, they're hidesomely powerful.
    Hmmh... I would say that some of the spell-casting classes would still reign supreme, prolly mage or sorcerer.
    Warrior? Well, if all else fails, my PFMW makes me untouchable. And when it wears off, there will already be ten walls of stoneskins to hack down, and I'm buffed to high heavens anyways. And now I will just flash out the good old Timestop-Robe Of Vecna-Improbed Alacrity-Dragon's Breath-repeat. Who's the better slayer now? :p

19. Stardust Gems: 7/31

My point was that you almost have to have arcane caster levels to defeat a purecalass mage (or sorcerer).

20. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Do multiclasses count?

The most powerful single-class is Sorcerer.

The most powerful multi-class is a Fighter/Mage/Thief.

The most powerful dual-class is a Berserker > Mage.

Of course, this is all IMHO.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.