1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Most painstaking enemy

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Tassadar, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Don't forget Vampiric Mists!

They level drain you on hit, and blink in and out of invisibility so they always get the first hit in. Also you have to keep targetting them when they appear... annoying.

Memphits, Beholders, Golems... yeah, I'd agree with the rest of you.

And yes Benanthalin is right about Demons too. I hate them more than mind flayers and greater werewolves!

2. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

The Mephits aren't so hard. Just have Immy throw in a Fireball and if you can throw a Holy Smite in there too.

The hardest one for me is the Shadow Dragon with a level 9-10 party. That thing just keeps going and going. It really confusing most of the time too because you pause it... give 50 commands, unpause it, wait for the Shadow Dragon to own you, then reload. Wash, rinse, repeat. (I know I'm not supposed to include bosses, but I don't consider the Shadow Dragon a boss. He's way easier than any other boss. Besides, Illych is technically a "boss".)

Those little friggin' halflings are hard mothers when you're low level. Not even the bloody demon is that bad.

Most defineatly the Iron Golem in D'arnise Keep. I always do that quest almost right away to get the FoA, and damn. That guys hard if not impossible. Half the time I just run out screaming.

3. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I'd forgotten about the Darksun halflings - those guys are as hard as nails. Tarnor Hatchetman and his cronies (the evil party in the Temple District sewers) can be quite hard because you're likely to meet them while you're still at a lowish level. A web spell helps here. Clay golems are always a priority enemy for me because they haste themselves and consequently hit hard and often.

What about adamantite golems? Like iron golems but 90% damage resistant.

@Mystra's Chosen
    The iron golem in the de'Arnise Keep is a fairly easy enemy because you can fight it from the doorway. Give Minsc Lilarcor and the golem can't touch him.

4. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Yes, but that's kind of cheesy. The golem should be able to just break through the wall.

I forgot about those halflings. They really aren't that bad if you use the right tactics, but they are annoying if try the battle at an early level.

Tarnor & Friends mopped the floor with my party during my first few run throughs. They're really easy if you've got the Resist Fear spell, though (or Teleport Field, but that makes everything easy).

I'm surprised that nobody said anything about Tanova yet. It took me a while to figure out how to beat her.

5. Ishmael Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

All of the complaints about difficult challenges assume the party blunders into a room and screams CHARGE!!!

A little stealth goes a long way.

Some monsters (such as the memphits on the Djinn platform) aren't worth fighting. Hife in shadows or Sanctuary and walk by.

The great thing about sanctuary is that you can perform actions, cast spells, and it stays active, unlike hide in shadows. Feeding dog stew to the Umber Hulks becomes a simple task.

Number one tactic for Mind Flayers: Use range weapons or quick spells, and don't stand still. You can't go toe to toe with amind flayer.

Intelligent tactics, and most importantly, using everyone's full scope of assets will make big challenges seem simple, even at low levels.

6. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31

They assume no such thing! We are merely discussing the enemies that make our palms sweat a little, the ones that we don't like to face and the ones that we give ourselves a pat on the back for when we've defeated them. I know damned fine how to kill mindflayers, thank you very much, but it doesn't mean that I enjoy fighting them.

7. Ishmael Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

OK OK, you have risen above your low roots to the vanguard of goonery.

Maybe you can eductae me, speaking of mindflayers... what is the story behind the mindflayer hideout in the sewers? When I entered it in the beginning, I though I was on the Cult of the Eyeless quest. Needless to say, it isn't....

I just need a hint, if you would.

8. Niskers Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Mind-Flayers 101: Chaotic Commands, hack and slash, with maybe a spell or two thrown in. Works (almost) every time.

9. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Also remember to wear your best armour and stock up on the intelligence potions.

10. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31

Are you talking to me? Are you TALKING to ME?
    Spoilers
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    As a race, the mindflayers are forever scheming. The hideout in the sewers is an attempted infiltration into Amn. You may recall the Alhoon in the Hammer Of Thunderbolts chamber complaining that his plans have been ruined. You may also recall a partially decipherable note from "The Hidden". If you have Jan Jansen in your party for any amount of time you will get a quest to cure a psychic illness besetting the daughter of his childhood sweetheart. To cure her, you need to make contact with The Hidden and perform a task for it. If you ask it, The Hidden reveals itself to be a mindflayer in disguise. So there you have it: the mindflayers are attempting to infiltrate Amn; you stumble across one of their bases of operations and wipe them out. It has no great significance: it is merely some extra colour. I believe that it was originally intended to make more of this, but time constraints caused the plans to be axed.

11. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Tanova is quite hard, also those Shadow thieves after installing the pack that makes them harder, but most of all I hate GOLEMS. Clay golems and those bigger ones especially. That's because I don't like blunt weapons that much and I rarely have them. Just think of an Iron golem (which you can't hurt) blocking the doorway you just have to get in. Just have to summon a monster behind him and sneak in when it starts to attack your summoned monster. (Sometimes I shed a tear for those berserkers summoned by horn throwing themselves into an impossible battle against those immortal golems.) :'(

12. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I hate golems as well.
    Well, clay golems really - 80% of the time the only bunt weapon carrier is my wizard... damn golems!
    Beholders never used to bother me until I got Tactics installed, but I have to say that Liches (the non-bosses) are my number 1 worst nightmare.

13. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The biggest 'pain-in-the-ass' of enemy is vampiric mist. Puf! Invisible. Whack, drain 1 level and 3 spells. Puf! Insivible again. Whack, drain 1 level and another 3 spells. Puf! Repeat four times, then the mist is a pile burbling bug goo that even flies will not touch. :mad:

Yea, I hate those; not because they were difficult, but because that unlimited, instant invisibility and ability to see everything from the other side of the map. :nolike:

I don't even bother with them anymore: ctrl + y ;) No more PITA. :D

14. Razal'dar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

The first time I played through the game, back when I didn't know a gnome from a halfling!, (ah bless), I found that the most difficult enemy was Tolgerias in the planar sphere. That was before I discovered the wonders of cloudkill! I must have reloaded the game dozen's of times. Now he's as easy as.....something.

15. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

@Malovae
    Just use the 1st level priest spell Shillelagh. Most parties will have access to this spell. Spiritual Hammer probably works as well. I usually use my ranger(s) against Clay Golems - armed with Shillelagh.

16. HeresiarchQin Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I hate the tactics Liches. The original Liches were extremely stupid, but the tactics Liches are incredibly annoying because they will cast Protection from Magical Weapons. And they have a natural immune to normal weapons, but the worst is for god's sake Bioware gave Liches immunity to spells equal and below level 5, so no Breaches on them! Not mention the freakin powerful Party-teleporting-back + 100% dispel magic if my party attempts to escape :mad: ...After some frustrations I got rid of the immunities to spells of them with Near Infinity (because it seems that AD&D Liches don't have any spell immunity at all) so I can Breach them.

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The first time through it was definitely the vampires. Especially the random encounters when walking around Athkatla at night. There's simply no way to prepare for them, and they always attack your spellcasters first, meaning you have to rememorize all your spells, so it's just a general pain.

18. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

@ Victor

The reason it was 80% of the time I have difficulty was that I only take a healer 20% of the times I play and most of my chars don't carry blunt weapons - so mage it is ;)

19. Golden Avenger Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I find annoying those little spiders in the tombs with the spider queen. They individually are easy to take on for any charachter but since they have about 40 of those buggers, I always seem to get a party memberhit and poisioned every round that I have a full party

20. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Golden Avenger -

Just set off a fireball spell and kill every single one of them - you'll also hurt your party, but not that much.

Fry up those little spiders like quahogs!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.