1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Most painstaking enemy

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Tassadar, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

which creature caused the most problems for you when you first met them? don't include bosses like dragons, kangaxx etc, just run of the mill creatures

mine were the beholders -> without the shield of balduran, cloak of reflection or scroll of prot from magic, these guys are pretty difficult to face in small packs

2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Mindflayers the first time I met them. But after a minute or two I quickly found out the best way to kill them. After that the most painstaking would be beholders. I still have some trouble with them.

3. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Beholders and mindflayers make me feel most stressed. However, in Irenicus's dungeon, those damnable mephits are as challenging as anything.

4. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Lol. Yep, those mephits are just about as deadly as Mind Flayers for the average low-level intrepid group of adventurers. ;)
    Mine was a Greater Wolfwere in Firkraag's Dungeon which decided to attack me when I had just about run out of spells - and which refused to die even after my character and Minsc hammered it with four successive criticals.
    My first encounter with Mind Flayers and Beholders wasn't exactly too hard - but it was when I tried out battling them without using any summons that I realized how deadly they really were.

5. Dangerous Beans Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The critters that pissed me off, were those elemental portals in the underdark. I decided to send the group to visit one, killed the first elemental easy.

But then they just kept spawning constantly. Jahiera died and I pulled out, but they kept spawning a following me.

Then I ran into another group of annoyances, those bloody drow pop outta nowhere and ice two of my weakened people...

6. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I'd have to say the Beholders...
    And they're still tough opponents. I don't use the Shield of Balduran. Its only purpose (... if an item can have a purpose) seems to be to make some of the hardest battles easy - and Beholders are meant to be challenging.

7. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Mindflayers... The only enemies I still have respect for :)

8. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Mindflayers, certainly. I tried the Hidden as an early quest my first game. Needless to say, mindflayers stressed me out for quite a while after that.

Anyone else have problems with that hobgoblin force at the entrance to Firkraag's lair the first time you met them? I ended up with my entire party confused and held, not fun.

Scythesong,
    I remember that wolfwere. I have a screenshot of myself slamming him with 3 horrid wiltings and two criticals each (from Minsc and Korgan) all in one round. He still read as uninjured. He was really easy whenever I fought him a couple nights ago, though.

9. The Silver Bear Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

uahuauahuahuhauh 100% agreeded!!! Mainly when you're going to free the Genie. Gee I was killed a lot (and when I say a lot I mean A LOT!!!!!).
    But who I really hate are the Vampires...that damned Level Drain is a pain on the hole!
    Oh yes..I also hate Goblins..not that they are hard..but I just can't kill Goblins anymore. I became so annoyed with their number in Windspear Hills that I simply use Ctrl + Y on them. Advice..never sleep there for they will always come back..Goblins and the boring Orcs... Blarghhh....

10. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Those evil Halfings in the Planear Sphere. Dunno why, but they have always been somewhat difficult for me. Least until I learned to lure them out 1 by 1.

11. dragoon169 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

id say the hob goblins...the first time i did hendaks quest, i ran into the group of hobgoblins, and EVERYONE got held and confused...i watched helplessly as they "focus fired" my guys one by one...

12. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

For me it was the group of adventures in the sewers that ask for money to let you go by. For the level of party I always seem to face them at they are always tough.

Also, the group of adventurers in the inn near waukeens promenade. You can face these very early on and unless you use cheese tactice they can desimate your party so easily.

13. The Silver Bear Gems: 7/31

Oh yes! I forgot about them..they really were hard to me. And i still have a few problems sometimes..with that damned Mage and that boring "Archer".

14. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31

Those damn tactics Saughin are a pain in the ass. They really arent bad in groups in tactics and theres 500 of them in the city. Improved illyich. Beholders when their still tough (non-tactics and tactics), ie in the sewers. And last but not least, the most annoying ****s ive ever had to face with my solo sorcerer is the kuo tao.

15. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The first time I played the game I ran into loads of problems with trolls on account of not having any fire spells ready. :confused:

Another time it the umber hulks at de'Arnise Hold who kept confusing the hell out of my party.

16. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

i think the greater mummy, clay golem and shadow fiends are a notable mention

shadow fiends in packs - all it takes is one to hold you - and it happens quite regularly to low level characters

greater mummy - no +3 weapons, better haul arse - this guy's disease keeps going and going

everyone knows about the clay golems - hit hard, and no one carries enchanted blunt weapons except the mage and cleric...

17. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

When I first played the game the hardest creatures for me at the time was the Mind Flayers, they just owned my whole party in a few seconds, there easy now sure but the first time I thought id never get past them :)

I guess after playing it so many times there is no hard enemy to face now, just the ones who cast imprisonment on you :)

18. Niskers Gems: 7/31

The greater Wolfwere caused me much pain, but I'd hasve to say the only enemy who causes me problems even after several times through is Beholders.

19. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

The evil halflings, they killed me so often.

Same with the crooks in the sewers.

And the Baalor that the deep gnomes ask you to eliminate. The first time I tried it I didn't hae Keldorn and Carsonomyr so it killed me badly.

20. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

For me, it was my first time in the Drow city and I didn't get out quick enough at the end. I had to fight the entire city to get out. In small numbers, the Drow are easy. But the whole city was a little much.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.