1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Most annoying\ridiculous stuff

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by iceviper, Sep 14, 2004.

1. iceviper Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hello all,
    What are,in your opinione the most annoying or ridiculous things in BG?
    you can make your list here,but there is one rule: you can't mention an issue that is part of the 2nd D&D rule set (for example: the fact that a cleric,even an evil one, can't use a knife is quite ridiculous but is part of the rule set so i can't mention it).
    here is my list:

*The fact that when you use magic in the mapped city areas you get an ambush of the Cowled wizards,but when you're having a random encounter in the streets you can use magic.

*Melee weapons that gives you extra spell slot,and that slot disappear in the moment you switch to ranged weapon.

*Inventory 1: the fact that a familiar use the same space as a little ring,and a full-plate armor use the same space as a magic scroll.

*Inventory 2:I find it hard to believe that you can fight a dragon effecitvely when having 16 armor suits in your back pack and 3000000 gold pieces in your pockets.

*Well,thats not ridiculous but i find it quite amusing:
    Having the childish,naive,little Aerie turning into a serial killer with the Robe of Vecna and the Crom-Fayer...

2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Speaking of Aerie, how about having her slay Kangaxx the Demilich with a single hit? :D

The excessive amount of walking to get out of certain dungeons (Windspear Hills springs to mind) is tedious. Being able to pick which entrance to a city district you want to use would also save on a lot of walking. Boots of speed don't help: one char zips ahead and then has to wait for the others.

You can stack a couple of million gold pieces in basically a space (and weight) of zero, but each tiny little ring takes space in your inventory. As much space as a human body, in fact (See first Harper Hold quest).

(To tie into another thread) You can only have six people in your party, and every time have to give the same lame excuse (there's no space!) to people you want to join you.

All female romantic interests are elves (a winged elf, a half-elf, a dark elf... this is racism). The male romantic interest is such a dork you'd probably never have him long enough in your party to find out that he can romance (read: impose on) your female PC.

All paladins/knights/good-aligned people in general are such goody-two-shoes you wish you could slap them on a couple of occasions (well, with the exception of Valygar perhaps)

3. iceviper Gems: 1/31

good one!
    i never thought on that "there's no room in my party" rubbish before...

4. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

- Being able to sleep in Irenicus' Dungeon

- Not being able to get Nalia's stronghold with a paladin.

- Not being able to throw a spear.

- Not being able to buy or use mounts.

5. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

- Every madman in the city can use magic, but when you cast, say detect alignment, wizards attack you. And another thing; how come Irenicus AND Imoen gets taken captive by the cowled wizards, but when you use magic, they wont capture you (instead, they try to kill you)

- Reputation. If I kill a beggar or some other guy in a secluded area, why the hell does my reputation go down? Nobody saw me do it!

-more to come...

6. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

- Tazok

- That guy in the theives guild who backstabs and kills you out of the blue as soon as you fail to pick a pocket.

- Nalia's Aunt.

- Looped conversations.

- Drop so much as a dagger in the streets and it vanishes. But no one thinks to clear Jaheira's poisoned body or Viconia's crisp burnt corpse.

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The guy who kills you in one hit is there to make sure you dont wreck the game by doing something stupid. If you manage to turn the thieves guild red you cant finish the game thus you being killed is a not so subtle way of the game telling you it is time for you to reload.

8. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Irenicus' dungeon at all, after what feels like the 10,000,000th time through, it's actually only the 5th. It should be a place of pain and suffering, and you should really have a feeling of desperation trying to get out. And while you shouldn't be able to use mounts in the city or a dungeon, while they would be painful if not impossible to program, they make PERFECT sense for wandering adventurers, and how cool would a mounted wilderness encounter be?

But to add to the list:

- Project Image not costing you the spells you cast with it;

- Anomen as a romantic interest - this role had Valygar or Haer'Dalis written all over it;

- Wraith Sarevok only having an effectively +1 weapon, thus making him unable to beat up an amnesiac Sorceror PC with a regular dagger who has gotten one of the Tears Of Bhaal already. Sure, he's magic immune and has 600 HP or so, but he's just a meat wall that can't hurt you in this case.

- "You must gather your party before venturing forth." Not the idea, just the voice.

- Niz (the Suldanesselar dragon) not taking to the open air above him and destroying you with wing buffets, breath attacks, swooping strikes and spells.

- Not sure if it's legal, but offensive Chain Contingencies (and by that I mean 3x Horrid Wilting, targeting nearest enemy) go in here as well.

9. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

**Note, this will have spoilers of BG2: SoA. Which should be plain obvious anyway.**

- How the Cowled Wizards continue to assault you for using magic in the streets of Athkatla after you've slaughtered 50 of their numbers because of interrupting.

- How (insert romantic interest) will take it personally and tell you to drop off and die, because you kindly say "Can't this wait" when there are two werewolves currently trying to eat your head, while 2 other members of your party are lying dead on the ground and a third one is about to join them.

- The numerous idiots throughout the game who are stupid enough to imply your life was in their hands. Such as when you exit underdark and Elhan gets all high and mighty on you. I swear I will make an "Attitude Mod" some day. Well no I don't but I'd like to. If you've slaughtered an entire town of the drow, a huge hive of beholders and illithids, fought dragons and liches and even demiliches and survived, then how stupid can one elf be to actually have the audacity to threaten you with his petty legion.

- The AI bug that causes mages with magical ranged weapons switch to any close combat weapon as soon as the spell runs out, run into melee and die.

- In BG 1 especially, seeing some fights take 2 minutes just because both parties need one minute of swinging to hit once, and another to hit home a second time (and kill). While this is in princible according to the rules, at least in PnP the DM has the brains to elevate the "to hit" chances when both monster and player alike suck, in order to ensure better playability. I seriously do not appreciate a game where 70% is combat and 80% of that is watching everyone miss.

10. iceviper Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I got another two:

*Having only 1 HP,You're escaping from a greater werewolf.you're reaching to some place he can't see you for a second,then you succefully Hide in Shadows and woosh.... like you never been there!

*Did you ever use the Living Door trick?
    here is how it works: you have a room full of monsters in front of you, and your party is in really poor condition.What you need to do, is to get 2 characters,make them invisible (Hide\potion) and put them at the entrance of the room.
    Now you get all the other party members,and start firing arrows,magic missles,etc. the monsters can't get through because something is blocking them but your ranged attacks can hit....That's what i call pure logic.

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Same can be said for any other dragon, but if THEY can fly, but we don't have spells/items that enable us to do the same, it wouldnt make much sense challenging any dragon.

12. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Ridiculous: Money. You can rent a room for 10GP easy a night. However a single drink can cost the same. A few days of adventuring and you could buy a whole mansion. Merchants like Ribald who are obviously wealthy beyond belief (he has to be if he's selling items worth 20,000GP+) and are still about peddling goods when they could be lounging around in a luxury castle somewhere. Carrying all those gold pieces around, but not taking up any inventory space. What is this, Baldur's Gate Visa Gold? How would you manage to carry 100,000GP, especially on the road, anyway? Do the characters actually sit down and count every gold piece? Why do demons drop gold pieces? What use is gold to a dragon if it's unlikely it will ever spend it? The list grows on.

Annoying: The guy in Waukeen's Promenade who insults Viconia, and starts picking a fight, whom if you kill, makes the whole place hostile. Level drain is always annoying too.

13. Blog Gems: 23/31

Good point, Tassadar, about the cost of renting rooms. And what's up with the choice of four rooms you could rent when they all do the same thing?

- Too much walking around. Add in the lag that I get when I play the game too. I swear I have commanded my party to walk across the map, went to grab a drink, came back and they weren't done walking yet.

- The dual wield / range weapon switcheroo thing is annoying.

- Also in the Copper Coronet, those sleeping guys behind the secret door who turn hostile when you free the slaves. Not that they attack you, but if you leave AI on and someone in your party with a ranged weapon spots them...

More to come later.

14. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Anomen and Nalia. I mean, why can't those two get married and go to the north and kiss Klauth, that sure would save me the trouble of killing them.

15. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Oh yeah, the walking reminded me.

- The AI. While pausing solves most problems, it's still unbelieavable to see how many times you have to order [insert mage/cleric using a useless sling] the heck out of the doorway to let the fighters in. Or now many times one of your frontline fighters is dueling a beholder while the other 3 line up after him and start to yank unmoving on the spot.

@Tassadar: Dragons have always been like that. Read any Dragonlance / Forgotten Realms novel and you'll see dragons love their treasurehoards. So it's not a BG feature. If BG were done right, you'd have more gold and valuables than you could ever carry after killing a single "normal" dragon.

16. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

@Foradasthar: you can go back earlier in time than that. Smaug had a nice big hoard that he was super-jealous over 70 years ago.

17. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    People, people, people! All this complaining about too much walking. Haven't you discovered the joys of Ctrl-J yet? Next to the space bar, that's probably my most frequently used key (or key combination).

Also:
    You can get rid of that with the Ease of Use mod

Item Upgrade mod.

18. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

The Cleric stronghold quests. Man that was soo stupid! Atleast the last one saw a fight.

Animals dropping swords. WTF? Even gold.

19. Blog Gems: 23/31

Oh yeah, beholders. I don't like how they can shoot their rays all the way across the screen and attack a character you are hiding away. Ridiculous bug.

20. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Well, Niz is the only one who isn't underground, in a cavernous dungeon or otherwise restricted from doing so. There's no reason why he shouldn't take off and gas you with a measure of impunity - after all, that fancy vorpal weapon would need to be 50 metres long to hit him. So what does Niz do instead? Casts Insect Plague and Entangle. Make no mistake, I'm shaking in my boots...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.