1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Most and least favourite NPCs

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Mihai SuperStar, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Firag Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

2. Aerie's Number One Fan Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Media:
    My favorite NPC's: Aerie, Jaheira, Minsc and Viconia

My least favorite NPC's: Haer,Dalis, Anomen.

Aerie is the nicest NPC, and I think she has more depth as a character that people give her credit for. Jaheria is a good character too, and she's the moral backbone of the party. Minsc is always funny and he brings much needed comedic relief in the heat of battle. Viconia is the coolest NPC, but she can complain a lot if your rep is too high.

I've never actually had Anomen in my party, but when I went to talk to him to bring him in, he was so monumentally arrogant and annoying in that first conversation, that I didn't even continue with it. Haer was so beyond annoying that I dropped him almost immediately.

[ September 21, 2005, 03:08: Message edited by: Aerie's Number One Fan ]

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

LOVE:
    • Jan - Gnomes and turnips. Need I say more? :grin: ...Well okay. The hilarious banters combined with the advancing thief abilities make him a must for (almost) every BG2 party I have.
    • Minsc - Minsc and Boo; what could be better? Classic returning character and a good tank.
    LIKE:
    • Cernd - What Jaheira should sound like if she were really TN. Perfect example of a druid, and the shifting abilities make you consider him just long enough to decide whether you like him.
    • Jaheira - TN my a$$. She's NG and everybody knows it. :p Aside from that she's great as a spell-caster, and can even go toe-to-toe with her new better stats. Best romance IMO.
    • Mazzy - Never had her in my party (yet), so she hasn't had the chance to annoy me. But from the quotes I've seen, I get the feeling I might like her. Too bad you have to go all the way to the Ruins to get her.
    • Valygar - Love the stalker kit, but he's got no personality to speak of. Once his family is dead, he's pretty much combat only. Reminds me a little of BG1 NPCs, and that's what saves him.
    • Viconia - Incredible cleric. I only take her if I'm evil or going to change her alignment. Such a deep character that it would almost be worth hearing her complain.
    NEUTRAL:
    • Edwin - Incredible mage, but his constant muttering and arrogance get on my nerves. I only take him if I'm evil.
    • Haer'Dalis - All that bird-talk makes me hungry. :yum: If only they had finished their plans to flesh him out more.
    • Keldorn - Finally, a paladin with a life! Dump him at home and let him be happy.
    • Yoshimo - Really gets screwed over; he could have been a good NPC if they'd let him. If I'm not going to have him at the end, I'm not about to take him and have him soak up XP. End of story.
    DISLIKE:
    • Aerie - All that whiny innocence gets on my nerves, and I've never been fond of C/Ms anyway.
    • Anomen - Too self-righteous and not really worth the time to get his WIS up to an acceptable level when so many others have it from the start.
    • Imoen - Where did the carefree Imoen of BG1 go? She may have been annoying at times, but at least she wasn't such a downer.
    • Korgan - The requisite elf-bashing (as a dwarf) gets on my nerves, but I'll take him if I'm evil. (Somehow he always dies as soon as I get to ToB. :evil: )
    HATE, HATE, HATE!!!
    • Nalia - Whiny, b***hy, and arrogant. As Liliacor would say, "Murder! Death! Kill!!"

[ September 21, 2005, 02:49: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

4. Aerie's Number One Fan Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Media:
    Mazzy is kind of like a mix of Aerie and Jaheira. She's got the Good of Aerie, with some of the Neutrality of Jaheira, but she doesn't have the self-doubt of Aerie, nor the need to take control that Jaheira has.

5. Cold_Hawaiian Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Saying Nalia is arrogent and you hate her, but like Anomen is just hypocritical, cause Anomen is the zenith of arrogence. And I hardly hear Nalia complain unless its in a dungeon, in which case Imoen and others do to, PLUS elsewhere. On a "gameplay" side, Nalia is the best early non-evil mage unless you played your own. As one NPC guide said "She is like a mage that can use a short bow, exploit that fact". Better stats then Jan and not multi-class = better level abilities. How can you NOT like her? She and Imoen (besides speech and what not) are nearly clones too.

6. Felinoid

@Cold_Hawaiian:
    Where is this coming from? The only person I can think of here who actually likes Anomen is kuemper, and she only likes him once he's beat down. :evil:

(BTW, calling someone else's opinion hypocritical while citing your own opinion as fact is the real hypocrisy, IMHO. :rolleyes: )

7. Cold_Hawaiian Gems: 2/31

I never said my opinion is fact, but if its THAT much of a bother, IMHO, Anomen is much more arrogent then Nalia, and "like" doesn't mean favorite. People neutral to him, then say Nalia is arrogent is who I was addressing. My opinion isn't fact, but stat-wise, which is numbers and math, is fact. Nalia > Jan (mage wise at least. If you keep him cause he is a thief I have to agree, being the only thief that gains levels that you can take throught the game without cheating and keeping Yoshimo alive is a good thing.)

8. Felinoid

And Edwin > Imoen > Nalia; what's your point? In BG2, stats don't matter terribly much. With so many stat-increasing items, Nalia simply becomes a pathetic attempt at an Imoen clone.

What Jan lacks in mighty mage power, he more than makes up for with his thieving skills and traps. Plus, he's actually interesting; imagine that!

Even Haer'Dalis brings something to the table arcane-wise, and he can also survive more than a few seconds in combat due to his Blade abilities (unlike all the others).

If you don't find her annoying, that's great for you. Perhaps her views just don't clash with yours as they clash with most other people's. Being able to stand her self-righteous, (somewhat) bigoted attitude lets you utilize yet another of Bioware's excellently made NPCs. The rest of us will just have to muddle through somehow with Aerie, Edwin, Haer'Dalis, Imoen, and Jan. ;)

Consider also how limited the Cleric pool is: Aerie, Anomen, Viconia, ... yeah, that's pretty much it. You've got Cernd and Jaheira as druids, but that's not the same thing since they don't get the same spells. Aerie is physically weak and whiny, (though she can cast spells 'til Sunday), Anomen is insufferable, and Viconia is abrasive and abusive. All three have great potential to get on your nerves. Though I wouldn't consider Anomen the lesser evil (IMO actually the worst), some others might, especially since you can curb his arrogance a little by getting him kicked out of the Order.

9. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Whining is worse than bragging. Which brings us back to the immovable argument about what constitutes whining and who does it. :rolleyes:

10. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I don't think the Cleric pool is that restricted though. At least there is a full cleric like Viconia(Happen to like her by the way), and if you properly look into her stats, she's a killer powerhouse, provided there is the essential weapons and such.
    Plus, she has access to priest spells usually available to Evil Clerics, Unholy Word. Its great when you deal with those Harpers in Jahiera's quests.

11. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Like:
    Korgan: I just like him.
    [snip]
    Edwin: Again, I just like him.
    Jan: His story are so damn funny.
    Valygar: Grim and silent, somewhat like I am.
    Viconia: Her portrait is damn hot and I must say I take a special pleasure watching her bash Aerie. Hehe.

F*****g Hate!!!
    Nalia: a pathetic Imoen clone.
    Aerie: She whines too much!!!
    Haer'Dalis: Probably the universally despised NPC.
    Anomen: F****** arrogant ass!
    Keldorn: Sir-Holier-Than-Thou gets on my nerves.

You might notice that many of my favs are evil NPC. As a frame of reference, I scored Chaotic-Evil in the Alignment Test on OkCupid... 28% Good, 92% Chaotic... :evil:

[ToB content reference removed; please go read the forum description. -Tal]

[ October 01, 2005, 18:55: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

12. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Like:
    1. Viconia
    2. Valygar

Hate:
    1. Nalia
    2. Keldorn

13. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

A silly reason maybe, but one of the things I can't stand about Aerie is her portrait. That sucked-in cheek anorexic waif look combined with those huge, slanted wasp eyes just scares me. Then there's the portrait artist's obsession with putting endless amounts of stuff in everyone's hair.

All that "I'm a widdle girl who just needs a big, strong daddy to protect me" stuff just gives me the willies. I realize some guys love the Aerie romance but, dang, not for me. Paging Dr. Freud...

The least self-righteous NPCs are my faves: Yoshimo, Jan and Korgan.

14. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Like:
    Mazzy - nice person and a good archer.
    Imoen - good dialogues.
    Keldorn - seems a nice fellow. Swings a certain holy sword, too.
    Korgan - funny short man, and good with an axe. Very good.
    Yoshimo - feel genuinely sorry about his fate.
    Edwin - funny!

Neutral:
    Anomen - not as bad as most people say, but the romance is painful. "Milady, I'm concerned that you haven't asked me about my wonderful deeds!"
    Viconia - not much to say about her.
    Aerie - poor child. Whines too much though.
    Nalia - nice person, but Imoen is nicer.
    Valygar - apathy.
    HaerDalis - I like his language, but he doesn't stand out.

Dislike:
    Jan - annoying in every way. His dialogues irritate me, his soundset irritates me, so there's no reason for me to take him.
    Cernd - too many nature similes. They wind me up.
    Jaheira - not sure why, but she annoys me too.
    Minsc - big dense person. There are better fighters, and less annoying ones too.

15. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    :aaa: Dare thou not the might of Beren?

Imoen - After I did the Immy romance I liked her even better! Sweet and beloved sister! Yes I *love* her as much as Beren might Love Jaheira I think.
    Jaheira - duh She's like the strongest with some good armour + shield+ That awsome scimitar from TOB + Iron skin
    Minsc and boo- A tale of a man and his hamster
    Edwin - Stop pestering me!

Dislike

Cernd - Ugh! Get down to earth man!
    Aerie - She's got a personality like my ex girlfriend
    Korgan - Get a bath...!

Neutral

The rest of the gang

16. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    • Jan - Funny dialogues
    • Edwin - The whole nether scroll's/Edwina thing still gives me a good laugh
    • Viconia - An interesting person, and imho the best romance in the game
    • Minsc - Minsc is Minsc and I love him for being that :)
    Dislike
    • Haer'Dalis - Pain in the Arse
    • Nalia - Weak and annoying
    • Aerie - I can't stand her constant whining!
    • Anomen - Simply just too full of himself
    The rest of the Bioware NPC's would fall under the category neutral, neither like nor dislike any of them particulary.

17. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Like:
    Viconia - One of the best developed NPCs if you romance her. Best priest in the game, and her magic resistance is priceless.
    Edwin - Way WAY overpowered, but hilarious. Has the best NPC-specific quest in terms of sheer fun.
    Imoen - Not much use as a Thief (although her trap-finding and lockpicking are adequate), but quite good as a mage, and a likable personality. Besides, she's the PC's sister.
    Valygar - I like the Stalker's versatility, and Valygar's items complement his class very nicely. Interesting personality and a good quest round him out nicely.
    Haer'Dalis - Fun worship of Entropy, good pair of weapons, and very powerful if you know how to take advantage of his abilities.
    Jaheira - I always liked her, and enjoy her romance.
    Jan - I find him very funny, and his gadgets are a treat.
    Yoshimo - Good class, funny action comments, and a compelling story. Too bad you can't keep him on the long run.

Neutral:
    Korgan - Very powerful, sometimes fun, but too agressive and selfish for my taste.
    Keldorn - Powerful, good kit, OK personality. A bit too goody-two-shoe for my tastes, but that's not surprising considering his class. And a racist to boot.
    Minsc - Good, solid NPC, but I admit I found him much more fun in BG1.
    Aerie - Too annoying, but she can become VERY powerful at high levels. Although at that point her comments grate even more when coming from someone who can throw both clerical and arcane high-level spells.
    Mazzy - Very good with short bows, and some useful abilities, but not very interesting personality.
    Cernd - Very powerful shapeshift at first, which becomes less and less useful as the game goes on. A bit dull on the long run.

Hate:
    Anomen - Arrogant brat. Not much more to say really.
    Nalia - An Imoen clone, but more annoying, full of herself, and utterly useless as a Thief.

18. Phone_Tools Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

love-minsc, imoen

hate-edwin, jaheira

btw, while i don't love him, i like anomen. I really liked watching him transform from a bratty cleric to a member of the radiant heart (lawful neutral to lawful good). Besides, i think he's the best cleric in the game because he already comes with 7 levels in fighter (i think, i haven't played bg2 for a long time).

19. Cold_Hawaiian Gems: 2/31

He is also one of only 3 clerics. And the other two are either evil or a multi-class. So really, if your good and don't want a gimped cleric due to sharing XP, Anomen or your own character is just about the only choice.

20. Drathir Darthirii Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I like Anomen - he is the ONLY NPC I have had in every single game I have ever played. I find him really useful, both because of his cleric abilities and his fighting prowess. His romance is interesting, too, especially when he becomes CN. I like him more then - he is easier to understand and like. I like his voice and the way he banters with nearly every other NPC, and a lot with the PC.

I don't particularly like Korgan, but I LOATHE Aerie. Who gives a damn that she has lost her wings?! She sounds permanently like it's some great tragedy or something. Whiny brat!

Nalia I dislike, too. She is an Imoen clone with ginger hair and she looks like she is addicted to cocaine or something - she looks like she has been taking some kind of drug. Her voice is annoying, her personality is awful...need I say more? (for the dumb - that's a rhetorical question. So don't answer it. Even if you want to. :) )

EDIT: @Felinoid - I like Ano the Orc! I find him interesting, he's the only character who's life you can change drastically, his portrait, voice set and personality suit him nicely...need I say any more? Erm, yes...his CN romance is cool, but I have to say i don't quite like the LG romance. He is an arrogan moron then.

CN Anomen is quite nice, friendly and cares about nothing.

[ October 17, 2005, 20:40: Message edited by: Moon Elf ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.