1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Morrowind spoilers needed

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by Gonzago, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Greetings, in need of an assist.

1) What's the point of the boots of blinding speed? Are they worthless, or is there a way to do away with the blindness?

2) I've found petty, lesser, and common soul gems, and stole another (more valuable, forgotten what it's called) from the chickie in the mage's guild in Balmora. I've yet to find...um, I think it's the Grand SG. Anyway, the best one. Can those be purchased/found/stolen anywhere that you, dear reader, might know of?

If I think of more, I'll let you know.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, the boots are not exactly worthless because you can "watch" where you're going on the map.

3. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I spent all summer playing this game.. and then all autumn answering questions about it.. but I haven't done that for a while, so I'll help out, as long as you don't ask me how to soultrap! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Well, they blind you magically, so if your character has some kind of resistance to magic, you don't get completely blinded... but with anything less than 100% resistance, your vision will be affected, the screen will get darker and so on. My wood elf had som magic items that gave him a %40 protection, that was more than enough to navigate around... I still removed them as soon as I had to do combat, cause the armor rate isn't too good. And like BTA said, you can just navigate with the map.. if you want to, you can make the "big" map visible even when you haven't entered inventory mode, that makes it a bit easier to see where you're going. It's very convenient when you're running from vivec's foreign quarter to the temple for the 15th time. :rolleyes:

I can't think of a place where you can buy grand soul gems.. you have to find them. The loot you find in crates and on dead enemies is controlled by your level. At early levels you'll find petty soul gems (useless, throw away), but when you reach high levels, you'll be swamped with grand soul gems.. my wood elf was walking around with 20+ of them at all times.

If you want to find one before you reach those levels, you'll have to look for one that's been manually placed somewhere by the designers... The only one I can think of right now is in Sadrith Mora, in, umm, I think Tel Naga, or whatever Neloth's "castle" is called. It's in the big entrance hall, and if I recall correctly the guards won't attack you when you take it.

4. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I never used the boots of blinding speed, i wear the boots of the apostle, much better.

You'll find those soulgems randomly in smugglerscaves, or Daedric shrines, but there is also one in the mages guild in Balmora. It already has the soul of a winged twilight trapped inside, so you can use it to either enchant an item, or sell it.

5. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Good luck on selling it...the Grand Soul gem with a Winged Twilight is valued at 60,000 gold. It's pretty much impossible to sell that for a fair price, since no vender is going to carry that kind of money around.

6. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

[​IMG] I know a good way to get more money from items, its a bit cheap, but it works. Go to the scamp (scamp is in the orc manor in Caldera) and sell something worth 5000, rest for 24 hours and the scamp will get his money back, now buy back that thing you sold him and the scamp will have 10000, sell something worth that, rest, sell back the thing worth 5000, voila, 15000 when you could only have gotten 10000. Like I said, cheap, but it works.

7. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Yeah, I heard that scamp was the only way to sell really expensive items for anything approaching their value. He has a pretty interesting name too, though I can't remember it at the moment.

8. idoru Gems: 11/31

[​IMG] Yeah. And that's called exploiting bugs.

Seriously though, play the game any way you like, but there is a reason why the merchants are poor. It makes sense from a roleplaying perspective, and the game was basically made this way.. I ended up with tons of cash when I played it, without exploiting.. There isn't really anything that interesting to bug with the money anyway, except enchantments for your items, and that will destroy the game balance in no time.

but if you have to do it, there's a talking mudcrab out on a small island with even more money.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I am wondering if there are any merchant anywhere with any decent gear to sell? Preferble full sets of armour, I dont like running around in piecemeal armour put together by all kinds of different armour. It looks bad, I had a full set of bonemold armour for the first 10 levels but after awhile I couldnt justify style over utility when the difference became too great. A full set of ebony armour would be nice.

10. The Kilted Crusader

I've never seen ebony armour being sold, but you can get it by completing the last mission for House Redoran.

@Vargx, the scamps name is creeper.

11. idoru Gems: 11/31

You can't buy full sets of good armor in any store.. that's part of why it's pointless to have tons of cash. You have to quest for the powerful stuff anyway... the only exception is glass armor, you can buy more or less a full set at Ghostgate.

12. The Kilted Crusader

Except for the greaves, if you want them you'll either have to complete the fighters guild missions in Ald'Ruhn, or just rob the beggars (its in the door with a lock of 80)

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I found a full set of ebony gear, except helmet. The heavy armour master trainer in the arena fighter training area in Vivec wore some. After I had trained myself to full heavy armour I taunted him into attacking me and got a full set including a nifty ebony long sword. But now I am tempted to go kill Fyr again for his gear ;)

14. The Kilted Crusader

To complete your ebony there is a mission with a subquest that gives you an ebony closed helm (I want an open one :) ). I'm not sure, but if you kill Llelar Mandas in the Council chambers in Ebonheart he might have it on him. Once again, I say I'm not sure...

15. joacqin

Media:
    I already had a helmet, I dont know where I got. Full sets of ebony armour seems to be rather common, I have stumbled over a few more now in my travels. The spreadout bandit caves, temples and deadric shrines are full of all kinds of goodies!

16. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Vargx, that's why there are mods all over the net. I have the creepertrader mod, he has 100.000 to spend every 24 hours. And there are a few more of those.

Some would call it cheating, but i prefer to call it "fixing a bug". Why would they create items worth so much money, while there isn't a trader in the entire world of Vvardenfell who has enough cash to buy those items from you ?

17. idoru Gems: 11/31

Do you really think that in the 8 years of developing morrowind, they somehow just didn't think of giving the traders enough money? :rolleyes:

Like I've said before this is a game balance and realism thing. realism because how will a poor merchant in some backwater town be able to afford your daedric dai-katana? A merchant who sells at best silver equipment? That makes no sense. It would be possible to have a more wealthy, "high class" merchant in Vivec, kind of like the Odd Blades in Daggerfall, but then that merchant should also sell that kind of stuff... and that's where the game balance comes in. the Devs said all along that you'd have to quest for the good stuff, you shouldn't be able to just go into a store and buy daedric equipment, it should be rare and exclusive.

And no matter how you feel about limiting the cash of the merchants, the game was designed this way, it was designed so that the player would have limited funding.. it's not really a problem, I ended up with over 100k of gold without ever exploiting creeper... but you'll find that if you cheat and edit the game so that you can sell anything, you end up with millions very soon, which completely wrecks game balance, since it allows you to buy enchantments that turn you into a god, more or less.

It felt very weird at first, just leaving that daedric axe where I found it, since I wasn't skilled in axes, but after a while you adjust. Other players just collect that stuff at their stronghold instead...

Morrowind becomes too easy for most characters around level 20 anyway, without cheating... why ruin it even sooner?

18. Pac man Gems: 25/31

I agree that those weapons should remain exclusive, but why put a pricetag of 120.000 on a Dai katana, if noone is going to be able to buy it from you ?

Even the armour of those guards in Vivec are way too expensive for ANY merchant in the game. It just doesn't make sense. I think a lot of Morrowindfans feel the same way, hence the mods that bring rich traders into your game.

19. The Kilted Crusader

I think one of the reasons for not having very rich merchants is that you could become very powerful very quickly indeed. Imagine selling something for 100000, how many levels do you think you could train up?

20. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

There is alo one "crab" east of Vivec that (without any mods) has more money than scamp (10 000 i think) and he works just like scamp (you get exact sum of the item value. And in my travels across Vvardenfell, i found guy in Zainab camp that also has a lot of money, even more than 10 000 but he is really good trader and you must give him a lot to get the money.

And IMHO the most expensive soulgem is the one with golden saint or Ascended Sleeper(?, not sure that is his name) but it is better to use them on enchanting items with constant effect...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.