1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Morrowind Game of the Year edition

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by DarkStrider, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

I've seen quite a few posts on this on the boards, the most common complaint in morrowind is the walking "text-file" NPCs. I remember this was actually worse in daggerfall - the precursor to morrowind.
    But this was only a minor gripe in the game for me - lets be honest its the same on almost any non online RPG out there. It's only because theres far more NPCs in the game than on BG for example that the interaction had to be watered down. The resources and time needed to give NPC interactions a more realistic feel would be enormous.
    On BG the average person just repeats one of about three lines over and over again, but it never made the BG series bad though did it?

Unless you go online multiplayer - you are always interacting with a computer. So IMO its a choice of either scripted conversations or paying subscriptions to encounter people, who in some cases can be far more annoying.

On the plus side morrowind is possibly the most massive, beautiful and non-linear world in RPGs today. There are hordes of dungeon locations, items, abilities, easter eggs and options to go through.
    It can suffer from its easiness at times - if you choose to powergame - but then again you can cheat at any game if you really want to.
    At the end of the game - having my own little village - a massive tower (made from some type of fungus) full of weapons, armour, jewels, books etc etc.
    In my time playing I never found a fence I could'nt jump over, a door that never opened, water that killed me or a guard that I could'nt take out if he would'nt let me pass. It takes a lot of serious programing to put that into a game, so what if the NPCs lack a bit of personality - you can't have a conversation with a computer anyway.

2. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I agree Oyster...it is one of the most massive, beautifle and non-linear games. I think the static NPC dialogue is made up for by its complete and utter freedom to do what you like! I love the fact even if you break into something you merely go to jail and then are back on track. The freedom is the best bit, not many games offer that.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.