1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Morrowind Game of the Year edition

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by DarkStrider, Oct 27, 2005.

1. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    That's exactly how I felt while playing it. Fun for a few hours, but not much more.

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

The fetch-and-carry-for-everyone-and-their-mother quests are TERRIBLY annoying. Morrowind is a big place, so I set off and explore the world map, carefully setting a Mark in the closest town. Just collecting reageants can bring pretty money in, and monsters bring skill increase, and eventually level-up.

I never did the damn main quest. :D

3. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Well, I've still got the thing on my harddrive after not playing it for about a year, since I've completed the original 'uber quest' and had started on Bloodmoon's stuff (skipped over Tribunal for now). I don't just free up that space since I'm almost into the mood of playing again, and I like the character I've developed (without resorting to exploits like some weak people I won't name :good: )

And yes, I got the GOTY bundle as well for a steal in CAD - methinks I see a pattern forming here. :D

The "MMORPG without the other players" comment IS pretty apt, and that's the one thing I like; rich, vivid world (BTW, *which* moon were you watching, ofelix; there's two :) with weather, a moving heavens (I *think* I was starting to recognize constellations before I went on hiatius), quite a believable geography (rivers run away from mountains toward swamps before draining in the sea, deserts are 'behind' mountain ranges from the moist onshore breezes, etc.) distinct architecture for different cultures, etc. etc. etc.

Yes, the plot and writing is mediocre at best, and they pulled a major deus ex mechina explaining away people being working/bar-hopping/awake around the clock (its predecessor, Daggerfall did have stores closing at varying times, and citizens making their way around town on their own agendas, but the demo I had was pretty deep without reaching this level of detail or immersion...)

And that's the big thing that this all comes down to: IMMERSION. Willing suspension of disbelief. If the game manages to 'hook' you, the failings can be forgiven. Some people never 'got into it' and so be it. Me? For some months it was what I was spending all my spare time on...hiking from place to place, filling up my world map, getting better rankings with as many guilds and organizations as possible (LBJ was wrong, you can't be "all things to all people" but my dunmer comes pretty close :cool: ) etc.

And best of all, there's those things lacking that would make it an actual MMORPG: the $$$-draining requirement of an ISP to connect to this world, and all the inane, immature, criminal, grief-loving PEOPLE inhabiting (or is that inhibiting) it...

4. Incarnate Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

To make Morrowind enjoyable you most do several things like getting the Boots of blinding speed and making a ring with constant effect 1 point levitate .

5. Phone_Tools Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

IMO this is an awesome game. Its really fun. While the npc interaction leaves much to be desired, the real fun is in exploring the huge world. It is overwhelming how big it is. If after about 20 hours of playing you've only explored about 1/10 of the world, then that wouldn't be at all surprising.

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

:giggle: And those boots do exactly what they say they do. ;) :angel:

7. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I had a quick look and was fascinated as to how your charcter class is chosen, you choose a race answer some questions and lo I was a Wood Elf Archer.

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

That's one way to choose a race/class combo. There are many. :cool:

9. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Morrowwind is probably the most beautiful game I've ever seen. I have it for x-box as my PC can't seal with it, and I've played it on and off for like 2 years and still have no idea what I'm doing. I jst like looking at it. I stick with the plot for a while and then cruise around, but as far as my save games go, my dude is very powerful and at a reasonable level (14), but I am still technically at the beginning of the game. Maybe someday I'll play it again, but it just looks great, and the new one looks awesome.

10. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I started playing again last night after reading this thread...but I suck so I'm leveling up at the start....I'm camped outside Seyda-Neen throwing fireballs at a tree :D

11. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

When you go to bed, leave the game running and lay a brick on the spacebar of your keyboard. When you wake up the next morning, your athletics skill will be maxed out. :D

12. jaded empath Gems: 20/31

Veteran

Oooo; here's an even better pseudo-exploit (you always just hop-hop-hop everywhere you go to boost athletics :) )

When you're planning on RL sleep, go to some npc that doesn't walk around, get behind them and put that brick on the *sneak* key - you'll get your otherwise hard-to-practice stealth skill up nicely. :cool:

13. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

To enjoy the game you have to exercise self-control: Don't use the trainers and don't boost skills by just practicing over and over; in other words, don't power-game at all.

And read the books...

14. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Below is my general opinions on the game and some eventual enhancements.

I got too organised and powergamerish when i played this! I turned caldera into my personal inventory. Balmora my capital to MY kingdom of Morrowind. Became head of everything possible. And had a mountain of mods installed! I modded to make a master trainer guild so i didnt have to go searching everywhere. It spoilt the game really. Mods in general do not spoil the game though. but you should play it unmodded the first and even third time :)

So basically do not do the above and you'll have a great time ;)

When your a bit more experienced, try out:

Vampire Embrace
    Suran Underworld
    Blamora Expanded
    Astarsis' face packs

All available at fileplanet through Morrowind Summit

15. jaded empath Gems: 20/31

Veteran

Ah yes, the books - an amazing piece of depth within this game; I spent a month running around trying to complete my collection of one series; about that Imperial construction guild rep that goes to Valenwood...

But the 'tertiary' objects like those end up having about as much text written in them as there is dialogue in other RPGs! :D

16. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

I can't believe I've missed this thread. I think Morrowind is a very good game. The weakest link in it are the wooden NPC's, but I understand that NPC interaction is going to be one of the biggest improvements in Oblivion.

The world is huge, the leveling system is ingenious, the graphics are good and the choices are daunting.

There's a massive community of Modders who keep adding new twists, areas, companions, quests and appearances to the game.

Sometimes the storyline can leave you feeling a little bit like the FedEx guy...making deliveries from place to place...but the best way to deal with that is to not try to do so much. Create a character and keep them directed on a logical path. A backstabbing rogue wouldn't join the Imperial Legion, for instance. If you try to do too much and join too many factions...you'll be overwhelmed and bored by the number of quests.

Also, another tip...read those books! This game could literally take 100 hours to play...but read them...understanding them is a great help to the main story line and many of the side quests.

Soultrap golden saints and ascended sleepers to create constant effect items...you wanna talk about fun...put on your constant effect jump 100 pts. shirt and your constant effect feather 100 pts pants and take a few leaps around the world (after you've completed the main quest, that is).

Good game...not great...but definitely very good. When you get tired of the boring NPCs...add a plugin.

17. Disciple of The Watch

:lol: Good one, man, I'll be sure to remember it...

That's too damn true. But hey, it's a necessary evil...

18. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Oh yeah...an kuemper...the Boots of Blinding Speed do just fine when you equip them with a constant effect "resist magika" item ;)

19. Disciple of The Watch

Or, alternatively, create a spell that grants 100% resistance to magicka for like two seconds, cast it, quickly get in the inventory screen and equip the boots. That has done it for me on the Xbox version.

20. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    That is what I liked about the game. Exploring. Also I found it very worth the money because I have no idea how many hours I put into the game and I still haven't finished the original quest.

I also like the fact that you could steal just about anything. That was kind of fun.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.