1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Morrowind Game of the Year edition

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by DarkStrider, Oct 27, 2005.

1. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I've just bought this game with the expansions Tribunal and Bloodmoon in it. It was a piston engine sorry bargain at £10 for the lot brand-new.

The question is has anybody played it ? is it any good ? or should I just pass it to my mum to test for me ?

:cool:

2. LeFleur Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

i played it quite a bit, it has some nice moments and it will cost a LOT of time... Nothing wrong with giving it a try, it's more fun then playing BG for the seventeenth time I´d say.

3. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

It's a great game, although you *will* be overwhelmed by the size of the world and all the different characters the first time you play.

4. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Great game, very, very long (but somebody had a 20 min run-world record).The world is huge, lot's of opportunities to be a important person.The only thing that sucks is battle magic.

5. DarkStrider

Cheers I'll give it a good go installed it all last night; I'm glad it's along game I need something to take me away from Iwd/Bg/Nwn for awhile so I can come back fresh to it.

6. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

It was boring and like the other guy said, overwhelming. It could have been a great game, if a little more thought had been put into the story and such like. I only played it for about 2 hours, before I got bored, then I sold it on eBay.

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It's a great game, imo. It'll take several start-ups to figure out what's going on and what you need your character to do. I highly recommend a walkthrough/guide about how to level up without killing the game. :grin:

My first character broke the game. I leveled her up and the game went pud. There's a secret system to how to distribute your leveling points and how a skill can't be over 100 and/or greater than the ability tied to it. ;)

It's worth more than the 10 pounds you spent, especially along the lines of play time. I still haven't finished my Argonian 'stalker/thief' in the game. Hubby borrowed it and is working through a Dark Elf 'bladeslinger'.

Enjoy, and don't eat all the coda flowers! :thumb:

8. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

It's not fantastic, but it's not terrible. I hate the combat system, which they're apparently fixing in Oblivion, so I didn't get very far in the main quest, which was boring anyway. £10 is about what it's worth, though. If you persevere, it's alright.

9. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

I started a new game, and got stuck in some cave full of big, nasty insects, because I broke into someones house, found lots of cash and took the silt strider thingy to some settlement on the coast. I plan on playing it again soon, though, since I have run out of things to do, and have finished all my other games.

10. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Sure do, But it's still enjoyable, In fact in my first run I spent 20 min watching the moon... it's sooo pretty. Pretty moon...

The models are kinda scary but the environment are beautiful.

But the combat are somewhat clunky.

11. DarkStrider

From all the comments it will be a good change from AD&D

@kuempar I've found a FAQ for it from gamefaqs ta muchly :D

12. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Unfortunately the vast majority (about 90%) of the characters of the game have no personality and their dialogue is random stuff, which quickly becomes horribly boring. Morrowind kind of reminds me of most MMORPG's, except that it lacks all the players. It's not all bad though and was fun for a while but it quickly began to repeat itself and became just plain boring so I never managed to finish it. The main plot seems pointless anyway and very few I know have actually bothered to complete it.

13. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Whatever you do, do not mess around with attribute boosting potions. I must say that while I found it to be visually pretty, I found the plot, NPCs, quests etc to be as dull as ditchwater.

Also, whatever you do, do not mess around with attribute boosting potions. I did so and almost instantly lost interest in the game as character became virtually god-like. I was so strong that my own weapons would break after a single hit and my fists would kill anything. I had so many health points that even if I just stood there buck naked the enemies would take hours to put a dent in my health. It was amusing for the first few minutes but it got old real fast.

14. Firag Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

So kind of dreamer ah ???
    Or Cheater ???

Play it is great !!! you can do so much in this game :D
    Morgotorth btw in which game except Wizardry you can write your own personal dialogue ??? baldur's gate ??? nah , icewind dale ??? nah , PL:T ??? nah ... all dialogue is written so you only chose from it ... only in wizardry you can write your own dialogue !!!

[ October 28, 2005, 16:50: Message edited by: dmc ]

15. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I know very well how the dialogue works in most RPG's, but most NPC's just throw around the same generic responses to all your questions. I'm not asking for a more free dialogue, in Morrowind it's free in a way since most NPC's have tons of topics, unfortunately most of them also have the completely same responses. What I'm asking is more depth to dialogue and more life for the NPC's. Not just some cardboard characters which have no personality and create no illusion of reality. Compared to the infinity engine games the dialogue is awfully written, I would much rather see the commoners throwing around random one liners which are even moderately funny than have them going through the same long rant on every occation.

16. Pac man Gems: 25/31

It's one of the best games ever imho, can't wait for Oblivion to hit the stores.

I also have the GOTY edition, exept i got it for only 6€. :p

What you need to do, is search the databases of the remaining Morrowind communities, like Morrowindsummit (I used to go to morrowindfiles.com, but that one doesn't seem to exist anymore), and get yourself some decent plugins and addons. First download the official Bethesda plugins, like the Area effect arrows, the Propylon indexes, and the Siege at Firemoth, and then search for some homes for yourself all over Vvardenfell (if you can't find any good ones, i'll gladly help you out with that). Also get the plugin that gives traders more cash, it's much more convenient if they all have a little more to spend.

Next you should get something to increase difficulty, like the Monsters mod, which replaces most of the regular skeletons with Liches, which will give you a much harder time on your quests.

Another "must have" are the better faces and better bodies mods, which will give the game a completely different and improved look.

Just look around a bit, you'll be amazed with what's outthere.

[ October 28, 2005, 12:03: Message edited by: Pac man ]

17. DarkStrider

@Pac man if it weren't for the good advice I'd have to kill you for the 6 euros :grin:
    But I wouldn't anyway cos I'd have to go Holland and having landed at Schiphol it would be rude not to visit Amsterdam and my favourite bars and clubs and cafes and before I know it would be time to come home again with a bag full of coffee beans (there's this excellent Douwe Egbert's shop just off Dam Square by the Hotel Krasnapolsky) and I just wouldn't get across to Utrecht to say hi sorry. :lol:

But thanks for the advice :D

18. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I bought the original game some year ago and the whole set with expansions on a promo back in the beginning of the summer. My younger brother says it's great. He loved the graphics and music and gameplay, too, but he complained about quests being somewhat schematic. Fetch this, fetch that. I need to give it a try when I have the time.

19. JSBB Gems: 31/31

@ Firag - No it isn't cheating it is just terribly unbalanced. If I remember correctly the strength of a potion that you create is determined by your alchemy skill plus your intelligence. You can brew an intelligence boosting potion, your boosted intelligence allows you to brew a more powerful intelligence boosting potion (the number of intelligence points it increases and the duration are both greater), wash, rince, repeat until your IQ is beyond belief with a duration of several months. Now start brewing potions to boost your other attributes - you don't need many. Buy some blue tights and a red cape and voila - instant Superman.

20. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Chev, in the beginning, most of the guilds let you run errands, simple tasks, so you won't get slaughtered early. It's a bit unfair to send a level 3 or 4 character on a mission into a Sixth House base, or a Daedric shrine. So you do those things to gain some experience, and when you're ready for some real action, you'll get plenty of interresting quests, especially if you work for the Temple, or the Imperial Cult.

But isn't it the same in most games ? In BG2, or Icewind Dale i was constantly running errands for all sorts of people or guilds too, it's all part of the game i guess.

Anyway, to make Morrowind even more interresting, people should check out the following link: http://qarl.rpgmods.com/description.html

I haven't played it myself yet, but my brother is totally nuts about it. All sorts of new monsters, a whole list of new quests, all set in a Vampiric world in the sewers beneath Balmora. Looks very promising if i may say so.

Also check out this one: http://jw_mcguinn.rethan-manor.net/ for a list of complete new factions, quests and new sets of armour.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.