1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

More Torment Crashes (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by BGP, Dec 11, 2002.

1. BGP Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] I've had few problems until I hit Ravel's Maze.

I'm XP SP1, G-force2 32megs drivers, updated to the hilt. On a Dell 8200. 2-CD version.

I sometimes get past the first pair of angry trees, but I never reach Ravel's Garden with the Nameless One. I can sneak Anna through the whole thing, backstabbing and so forth, and kill everything, and anyone else can come along. But the nameless one makes the game crashy as soon as cut scenes start happening and then as soon as I get in the area of the garden, crash.

I've turned off sound. I've gone back to original OEM drivers. I've done all the compatibility stuff.

Any ideas? It appears to be Torment-code related, with TNO so clearly the thing that creates the crash situation.

No, the 2-CD version is not patched. There is no patch for it, as far as I know.

Thanks for your help. I've really enjoyed Torment. So far. Now, not so much.

BGP

[ December 11, 2002, 20:17: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Did you try changing the Win Compatibility Tab to Win 98SE?

3. BGP Gems: 3/31

Yes.

I just deleted everything (except saved games), including the override folder. I then reinstalled.

This helped--I got all the way to Ravel and through the discussion with her. She got rather angry at the end and as the fighting began, I tried to summon modrons. The game went boom.

Perhaps the spell that summons modrons is defective, or perhaps things are still screwy. I'll try again.

And again.

And again.

I feel like the Nameless One. Is this planned by the programmers, just to make us be more in touch with the character?

bgp

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You tried to what? Summon modrons? Eh? :confused:

5. Platter

Platter Can I buy you a tankard or two, lad? Veteran

Via the "Rod of Modron Might" that is randomly dropped by constructs in Rubikon.

6. BGP Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] Minus using the Rod of Infinite Crashes, I made it through the surprisingly easy fight w/ Ravel and saved after killing some shades and leftover trees.

Added: However, this morning, the game runs only a minute or so before crashing to my desktop. I made it into the "hairy" area, but have not made it to the portal to the other area before it goes boom.

This is like reading a book and having someone interupt you every time it gets good.

[ December 12, 2002, 17:34: Message edited by: BGP ]

7. Upidstay Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] This was one of the more aggravating gaming experiences of my career. Had the same problem you had. I tried all sorts of suggestions from all sorts of learned folk. Finally, after about 30 tries, I finally got to a point where I could save and then got through this part. It finally took perserverance and blind luck.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Interesting... I've been in those random dungeons quite some time and never found this rod. Actually, I've never heard of it, or read about it anywhere. Which is pretty funny.

9. Platter

The Evil Wizard drops it every single time, for one.
    It's just called a "Military Pick" until you identify it.

[ December 12, 2002, 20:46: Message edited by: Platter ]

10. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Sometimes you get really lucky - I found 4 on one run-through of the maze.

11. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Two CDs version is pre-patched and you don't need a patch for it.

I bet your problem is bad CD. Do you have any chance to try installing the game on some other PC and try the scene there?

One thing though - which soundcard you're using (start->run->dxdiag)?

[EDIT]
    Tal!
    For whom did I make that Torment Spell list with locations? tsk, tsk... :bang: :toofar: :p

[ December 12, 2002, 21:34: Message edited by: Extremist ]

12. BGP Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] To the tune of Elton John's "I'm still standin'"

I'm still crashin' better than I ever did
    'puter looks nice on fire
    Went back to work, I did

:confused:

13. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

You still haven't answered on my post.

14. BGP Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] Sorry. I have (gulp) Crystal Audio stuff in my Dell 8200.

I dloaded the newest version of their crap and still had crashes. I turned it off (disabled the audio card) and got further than before--all the way from the blacksmith to Crist in the catacombs!

But then it crashed as soon as he turned red.

I updated, through Dell, my video, sound, bios, and chipset.

I've uninstalled, I've completely erased and installed, I've reinstalled on top of it, I've gone clean with no addins to the override folder, I've used a hack program to change things (amount of jink) back and forth on the files to just shake things up a bit.

:mad:

Thank you for any suggestions you can offer. Like purchasing Icewind Dale Two and forgetting about this one.

15. Platter

Do you have programs running in the background, like a virus protection software?
    Do you have a screensaver set?
    Do you have that damn Power Scheme thing set to turn the computer/monitor/harddrive off when idle?
    If you are playing in windowed mode, do you have your desktop color set to 16-bit?

Don't know if any of those things really affect it but you're giving up on the game anyway, so there's nothing to lose by asking.

[ December 13, 2002, 07:30: Message edited by: Platter ]

16. Taluntain

Media:
    Ex, I was long finished with Torment when you sent me that list, I'm afraid. I'll use it when I go through Torment again. :thumb:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.