1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

More newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Isshy, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Isshy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'm playing a dwarven Barbarian currently ready to level for the sixth time. If I take a level or two in fighter will I be able to go back to barbarian levels later? and after that can I again switch to fighter or are there restrictions? Is knockdown any good for a dwarf seeing as it is size related? If not what feat should I get...disarm maybe? (I'm using Harbinger Kin +1 Greatsword). I think my stats are:
    Str-16
    Dex-13
    Con-16
    Wis-10
    Int-13
    Cha-10

I want the heavy armor feat and I dont have cleave yet so I would like to take the fighter level now as I have a decent heavy armor I can't use yet and I know I need cleave...that leaves one more feat point to spend if I go fighter. Also what is the best HD roll I could get here...the highest I've gotten switching to fighter is 13.
    Also what is the best way to deal with mages? (knockdown looks good but again I'm a dwarf) .

PS-Any ideas on where to aquire a diamond or is it just pure chance? Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Knockdown is worth it - even with the disadvantage from size, you can get improved knockdown and it'll work more times than not against creatures in the OC (which you're playing judging from the diamond question. You can get one from 'persuading' the Moonstone Mask proprietress to up your reward when you're done with her quest, btw. Drink an Eagle's Splendour potion before you give it a shot, though, and save.) But the diamond is only good for fixing up longswords isn't it? Besides, what're you doing with a poncy sword? Yer a dwarf! Get an axe! Or a hammer at the least... :)

You can swap between barbarian and fighter levels all you want - you can alternate or take 2 here, three there.

Fighters get cleave and armour as a bonus feat - they get knockdown as a bonus feat, come to think of it iirc? I'd grab some fighter levels quick and not waste precious feats. (If I'm right. I may well not be, but it's all in the manual.)

And is the 13 INT for rogue skills or something?

3. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Dwarves get no penalty to size. Eventhough they are not as tall as most medium sized creatures, they are bulkier; or so the players handbook justifies the clasification. So, they use knockdown the same as humans, elves, half-orcs,....

Improved knockdown has been changed in the recent patch. It no longer gives the +4 advantage when attacking, only a -4 penalty to enemies discipline check when trying to resist knockdown. Greatly nerfed. It is one of fighters bonus feats.

13 Hit points is the maximum you'll ever get with a fighter level, with current constitution. Fighters hit die is d10, that means a 10 sided die is rolled. Added to the result is your consitution modifier plus Toughness feat, if you chose it.

4. Isshy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Thanks. There is an armor recipe with a diamond I want to check out. I chose greatsword focus when I started the game cuz it looks like it does the most damage. I want to get improved critical also...

When I finish chapter 1 and go to chapter 2 will I be able to go back to chapter 1 to get stuff?

[ April 16, 2005, 08:27: Message edited by: Isshy ]

5. Bovine_Knight Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I've played a fighter/barbarian specializing in Greatsword before. He was a decent character, but I found that Rage really wasn't too useful for me. Though I was wearing Full Plate Mail armor, that -2 penalty to AC kept gotting me killed. However, the movement bonus from being a barbarian was nice. If you want a character that can inflict tremendous amounts of damage, and you possess the expansions, than a Cleric/Bard/Red Dragon Disciple is the way to go. Take cleric levels (War/Strength or some other martial combination) first, and then go to bard on your sixth level and RDD on your seventh. You'll gain experience as a character three or four levels lower than your real level. Upon reaching tenth level in RDD, you'll have gained +8 STR, +2 CON, +2 CHA, and +2 INT. Combine your obscene strength with Bard Song, Strength Domain Power, War Domain Power, and Divine Might, and your character's offensive capabilities will have him striking (with a two-handed weapon) for 30+ damage every hit with a mundane greatsword.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

When you get to Chapter 2, you won't be able to get back to Chapter 1.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.