1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Monk Powers

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Clixby, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Giles Barskins Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I must admit, I'm not persuaded. But that's okay. I can live with not liking the monk class. In fact, it's what get me out of bed in the morning.

2. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Being an interested practitioner in the martial arts myself, I think the monk class is an awesome addition to DnD, if a bit oversimplified at times. I am lucky enough to have met people who have trained in the Shaolin Temple and became masters (Steve Demasco) and have trained a bit in it myself, and I can speak from experience that some of the things that I have seen are well beyond what you would expect from the human body. Shaolin training involves the strengthening of the fists through continuous punches on hard surfaces, the strengthening of focus and the will through countless hours of concentration and meditation, the strengthening of the most vulnerable areas of the body (skull, throat, etc.) to withstand blows not normally possible, and countless other things. The damage reduction, I would say, comes from the "iron body" techniques that allow you to do crazy stuff like break iron bars over your head and make certain parts of the body rock solid for short periods of time. In fact, the guy that let's trucks run over his stomach (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeuXN69gvoY) follows the exact same principles as the iron body techniques, from what I have heard of his description of how he does it.

The only thing that bugs me is the lack of other monk techniques associated with the real ones. If a monk successfully grapples a light-armored character in combat, they should be in for a beating, not to mention certain techniques which are designed to weaken, blind, or incapacitate in some other way. Let's not forget that low level monks shouldn't be able to damage fully-armored (as in helmet and everything covered) characters with their fists yet, and should have to rely on special monk weapons like the ball and chain.

As for roleplaying or multiclassing a monk, it's all about how much you know about them. I once had a monk-rogue multiclass with a decent backstory, one of my all time favorite characters. His life as a rogue came by force- join the local thieves guild or have his family harmed. Once he had enough money he secretly sought training in the local temple and later took down the entire guild with a few choice attacks upon their operations. He does nothing for revenge, only to alleviate the suffering of the victims, and always went for nonlethal damage where viable.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  3. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Good grief, where did you find that thread? It's some four years old . We need to have a "Black Onyx" award for thread necromancy :p .

Anyway, for a more "realistic" monk, perhaps you might want to check the Martial Artist archetype for the Pathfinder Monk. It specifically aims to remove some of the monk's supernatural mojo with somewhat more mundane abilities.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  4. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

After a friend of mine managed to kill a great red wyrm, single handedly, with a monk - we decided never to use the class again. Way too cheasy. He was level 21, by the way. Pretty much immune to everything.

5. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Lol! I was just really bored, searching through the topics before I went to work. Since i'm a big martial arts proponent I thought I would put my two cents in on a long dead thread :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.