1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Money!

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Felinoid, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Money, get away.
    Get a good job with good pay and you're okay.
    Money, it's a gas.
    Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash.
    New car, caviar, four star daydream,
    Think I'll buy me a football team.

Money, get back.
    I'm all right Jack keep your hands off of my stack.
    Money, it's a hit.
    Don't give me that do goody good bull****.
    I'm in the high-fidelity first class traveling set
    And I think I need a Lear jet.

Money, it's a crime.
    Share it fairly but don't take a slice of my pie.
    Money, so they say
    Is the root of all evil today.
    But if you ask for a raise it's no surprise that they're
    giving none away.

But seriously, for those who want to get rich and fulfil all their dreams, remember this: when you've got everything, all that's left is nothing.

2. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

You have to remember Nat is a Philosophy Major (I think) and we all know the financial rewards of that.

3. Nataraja Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Media:
    I think if I am lucky I might be able to be a lecturer and that will give me some stable income, but other than that I might as well be getting a BA in sitting-on-the-couch-drinking-beer-ology.

Im not doing higher education for the potential of getting a good job, Im doing it to avoid working ;)

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    This is exactly how I feel. I don't want or need to have money to buy a mansion or a yacht. I would like for my wife to be able to stay home with our children, for us to live in a reasonable style home, pay all the bills, save up enough to send the kids to a public university, and stock a little away for retirement. Now, those things cost quite a bit of money, so in a sense, I do view acquiring money as important. However, I do not have designs on becoming a millionaire.

I also agree that while money does not lead to happiness directly, you can purchase things with money that make you happy. It is also absolutely true that people with the most money receive the best health care, and tend to live longer, healthier lives. People in the top 10% of earnings live on average 7-9 years longer than those in the bottom 10% of earnings, and that can't be just conincidence.

5. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Money doesn't buy happiness. Some people work long hours and don't spend time with their famalies. Worse still are the couples that have babysitters bringing up their children for them.

Call me old fashioned, but I would rather live in poverty with a loving family that want to spend time with me, than a rich family that prefers work to home.

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm with Chev, money is a means to an end. I've lived below the poverty line and it sucks. I enjoy being able to relax and take a nice vacation. I enjoy not have any debts (except the mortgage). I will really enjoy paying off the mortgage early.

Money allows security. Me and Mrs Bruno put as much as we can in retirement funds, paying down the mortgage and putting away some in savings. It's comforting to know that if something bad happens we won't lose our home.

Even though there are a lot of pluses with having money, both my wife and I work only eight hours a day and travel very little for work -- we could make more by taking jobs that involve more travel or longer hours, but being home is more important.

7. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

A means to an end:
    The end being:
    House and Property
    Not having to work
    Still able to afford the good things in life (of which the most expensive is probably holidays.)

8. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I should love to (and therefore will) refer you to Francisco d'Anconia's money speech from Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged".

9. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    @Motresor: Aye, good words on that.

Money's always means to an end. Sadly in this world the honest men are few and thus money becomes often a tool to sate greed. Money's a means to an end, but what becomes of from the accumulation of wealth for the sake of wealth. What is the use of all the riches in the world if they are used to build monuments for greed and destruction?

Those who do not have a need for wealth because of glory, or pride, or for security shall be rewarded hansomly, since they already have these in abundance. But those who are lacking, no amount of wealth is enough. "...for whosoever hath, to him shall be given; and whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he seemeth to have." (Luke 8:18 KJV)

10. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

IMO money is the lubricant for the uh...thing in need of lubing up...that is life! :hahaerr:

Its just a means to an end IMO...

11. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Money was created to replace the ancient barter system and place value of objects. Money is valuable only because we make it so, and with most of it being in credit form these days, the term "hard cash" will become a thing of the past. :2c:

12. Nataraja Gems: 12/31

Media:
    Money these days is usually just a number on a screen. I know some people who haven't handled cash on a regular basis for years. Money only has value because people are stupid enough to give it value.

13. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Stupid? That is purely a point of view. Do you realy believe that, without money, humanity would share everything equaly? There will always be people who want more then they have, and those that have less then they need.

14. Nataraja Gems: 12/31

Media:
    Those people are ignorant...

15. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    :lol: Yes, that one is always good for a laugh. I always thought that woman mostly an annoying piece of work, with her 10 cent philosophy on the "virtue of greed," or whatever she called it.

Regarding the topic of money: I suppose it is like anything else one needs to survive. It's like asking how important is food, or air, or even sex for that matter. Well, I guess without it, life would be difficult. Franklin once said, when asked about food, "Some eat to live, others live to eat." I suppose one could say the same of money.

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Money is reasonably useful stuff, but it is amazing how most people don't really understand it all that well. Other than the super intellects at BoM, of course.

17. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven."

18. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Of course nobody's saying they value money "for its own sake." When was the last time you heard anyone admit to doing anything for its own sake? Even for the most greedy corporate ****er money's a means to an end, even if the end is something as trivial as the status boost between 10 billion and 11 billion.

I'd sure like to have more money, to live comfortably, to have more space. But that would take work, so blargh.

19. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

A lot of people think that money doesn't aid happyness, and that you could have all the money in the world and still be unhappy, but when you have no money worries, live in a huge home, have a ferrari in the drive, eat expensive food, sleep with beautiful women/men, and live in complete luxury, trust me, you'll be a lot happier, and probably as happy as you're ever going to be.

Yes, it's true that lots of people with a lot of money are unhappy, but you'll find that a lot of these people are people who are born into wealth and don't know about the lack of, and so don't realise the significance of what they have.

I've tasted wealth, and know lots of wealthy people, I was however born into poverty, and lived in it long enough, so I know what it feels like from both sides of the spectrum. I currently live with not much, well, what my credit cards and overdraft can provide. Yes, when I have my degrees, then I can get a high paying job, but the fact is, I'm probably always going to have to work, spending most of my precious time doing so, until my body decides to give up. All I can do is try my best to improve my financial situation so that I can improve my life and my state of well being.

20. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Like Francisco, I will invite you to refute a single point in his speech, then. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.