1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Moderation?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Jack Funk, Mar 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Slam me, ban me, give me a plaque.

My Liberal Club post was not an attack on the moderation of this board. I don't know what gave Beren that impression.

The point was, the rhetoric is undermining the quality of the debate here. DOES EVERYONE GET THAT? SORRY FOR NOT BEING CLEAR! People are leaving because of it. I was making an appeal for people to tone it down in the interest of actually "debating".

As far as Spellbound is concerned, well, it wouldn't be nice to say what I would like to say to a "lady".

2. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Jack.....give me a break. This post is proof that you are behaving like a child throwing a tantrum. Show a little maturity and stop stamping your foot. :D (Any takers on how long this post will stay open?)

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Spelly - he does have a point. I think we should let him make it.

Oh...and five more minutes, give or take. :)

4. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

@Spellbound

No, this post is proof that I did a poor job of making my point in the first place.

I still don't know why Beren locked the other post. I would have just posted there.

5. Spellbound

DR... He's made his point AD NAUSEUM. He just wants a soapbox and of course has to make a dig at me in the process. I may not be the most eloquent, but what I said stands. I'm sick and tired of hearing this kind of whining. And leave it to Jack to stab back with the "lady" comment. (But as they always say....consider the source.) :shake:

6. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

I didn't stab you in the back. I did it to your face and in public.

Check please!

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    To address the thrust of the post without getting into the nitty-gritty of whether I agree with the way it was posted:

The claim is made that the rhetoric is destroying the free flow of ideas and that people are getting entrenched in a position and, rather than debating others on the points raised, are doing the message-board equivalent of a child covering his ears and shouting nya-nya-nya.

I see some merit in that point. Looking at several recent threads, I don't see so many comments of the "gee, but have you considered this or that when making your comment?" I do see plenty of "you're wrong and you don't know what you're talking about."

As an aside, I don't know where I fit on the liberal/conservatism scale as I vote both ways depending on the issue, but I feel that, generally, sticking labels on people on promotes treating them in thought or post as whatever you associate with that label. Thus, while I think that, let's say, Chandos is universally recognized as being on the "liberal" side of things, I try to read everything he writes withougt assigning him that category and allowing it to influence my thinking.

Finally, notwithstanding how we perceive the way someone posts, can we try to not compound perceived slights with additional nastiness? Please? I enjoy this board, and have no intention of leaving, so no "goodbye" posts for me. I would like to see a little less in the way of personal attacks and a little more constructive debate. But, hey, that's me.

8. Spellbound

Jack -- Grow up... and read the forum rules. If this doesn't deserve a sanction, I don't know what does. *sigh*

Oh...and I think you misread my post. I didn't say you stabbed me IN the back. I said you "stabbed back". *Spelly hands a set of glasses to Jack"

9. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ dmc

Spoken like someone who settles disputes for a living. Bravo. :thumb:

10. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

@Spellbound - My apologies. I did misread it. At least you acknowledged that I "stabbed back" (implying you stabbed first). Yes, we are way out of bounds here. Not just me, either, miss junior moderator. You heap on the personal attacks and then complain when I reply. Classy!

My appeal to reduce the rhetoric is met with more! Yippee!

11. Spellbound

On the contrary, I never attacked you personally, unless you think "acting like a child" is an attack. I don't -- it's a description of perceived behavior. I simply gave my opinion as to the type of post that you wrote and the fact that I was sick of seeing them. It's a different opinion than yours, obviously. But calling me something less that a lady took it a step further, imo. (Anyways....over and done.)

Also...when Beren closed the first thread, don't you think that should have been a hint to maybe talk to him first before opening this one? Just a thought.

12. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

Nah, I've given up on thinking. I tried that and it didn't work.

Anyway, apologies to all for being an a-hole. It comes naturally to me and is something that I am dealing with in therapy.

Amazing, this whole thing. I tried to be tongue in cheek, get people to realize that the problem with people leaving could be resolved by toning down the rhetoric, and this is what happens.

I guess I should have been more overt.

13. Death Rabbit

Media:
    @ Jack

Now you know how I feel this morning. Welcome to the club, buddy. :D

14. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

Yes, it is pretty easy to walk into it. My quest to lighten up continues.

[ Pending review of all this, do NOT open another thread like this. ] - Beren

[ March 18, 2004, 19:17: Message edited by: Beren ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.