1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Modding question from a Noob Modder

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Blades of Vanatar, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I am trying to create an NPC for BG2. A simple on at first and then I will work on him. If he becomes worthy, I iwll post him for everyone to use. I have read a few help manuals and such. I was hoping if anyone here with modding XP could answer a few basic questions.

1 - Do you need spaces after the tildes(~) should there be no spaces? Or are their times when you will need spaces and other times when you don't?

Ex. IF~NumTimesTalkedTo(0) or IF ~NumTimesTalkedTo(0)

2 - When trying to choose a starting location for my NPC, how can you tell if your NPC's starting location(your x, y coords) is already occupied?

2. MrMermaid

MrMermaid Reality is merely an illusion, albeit persistent Resourceful

I have no answers, only a nit-picking query: did you mean a space before or after the tilde? 'Cause you said after but in the example you put one before.

Also, I love the idea of making an NPC! I might give it a go myself in the summer, once I've finished all my degree work...

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Actually, before and/or after. I need to know the exact spacing required, if there is any. The tuturial I have is in a PDF. I only have Adobe Reader at home and cannot copy text from it to be certain. The font that was used by the author makes it hard to tell if there is spacing or not.

4. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Resourceful

Look at the official Bioware scripts and dialog files, for any question they are the place to start.
    Generally, white space is no big deal in programming, unless there is something unusual about the BG2 scripting white space should make no difference.

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Go easy on him about white-space, some languages are VERY finicky about white-space. He may have been trained in COBOL for example.

6. Blades of Vanatar

My only programming trainig was Basic, a long, long time ago. I forgot just about all of it.

I have been able to get a basic NPC into the game and I am now fleshing him out.

Question - I was thinking of trying something new in a BG mod. At least I think it hasn't been tried before. I was wondering if it is possible to have dialogue happen after a battle in which it was the first time the modded PC gets injured in a fight? The PC would then trigger script that thanking the PC for saving his arse type of thing or something like that. I have no idea about how to go about triggering this. I was concerned that setting a trap off might trigger the script as the NPC could take damage that wasn't from combat per se. I don't want that to happpen if possible.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.