1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Minsc

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by diebysteel, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

@ Hyperion:
    First posts you made you said you shouldn't rely on equipment too much, and now you mentioned those strenght buffing equipment.

Someone mentioned Minsc being too vulnerable to mind affecting spells. I don't remember which item it was that made Minsc immune to mind spells. I got it quite early in the game. It might have been something they sold at Adverturer's Mart.

2. Hyperion Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

@Mayfairy: You missed my point. When I mentioned equipment I ment to say that Minsc requires way too much good items to make him work properly. Alot of items that raises saves, thac0, etc, etc... Yes, Minsc has good strenght. But this is where the good part about Minsc ends. The rest of Minsc is, how to put it... You shouldn't bother. Compared with the others warriors, who need just a girdle of strenght. And about his personality... Pardon me, but Minsc is the "slow" kind of person, if you know what I mean. Let's remember Korgan, who has quite some philosophical lines like: "What you gain too easy you esteem to lightly", or something of that sort. The only characters that comes in mind that assembles Minsc are the Spectator and Cespenar. Oh, about the item that you talked of, I think it's Lilarcor, the Sentient Sword. But I wasn't refering just mind related spell. Anyway, point taken.

3. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Come on man! You go with Minsc, because, well, he's Minsc! Sure, he might not be as good a fighter as Sarevok, but have you ever seen Sarevok cast a healing spell? With the exception of cheating and/or mods, didn't think so!

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

And Keldorn doesn't require heaps of equipment too to become as effective as you want him? I use Keldorn as he is the 'replacement' for Minsc most people turn to (strong character wielding two-handed sword and same XP per-level).

Lets compare shall we?

Does-his-job Minsc: Full plate (hopefully magical), Sentient Sword, boots of speed, belt of some strength (however it depends where you are in the game and if you have to choose between giving Keldorn your only strength belt and giving it to Minsc you will give it to Keldorn because his strength is lower).

Does-his-job Keldorn: Full plate (keep his own, upgrade to Balduron's etc.), Carsomyr, boots of speed, belt of some strength, gauntlets of dexterity.

Keldorn requires an extra item and his 'weapon-of-choice' requires you to slay a dragon and his respective minions (vampires, golems, orogs, a mage of some repute). Minsc's 'weapon-of-choice' requires you to slaughter some kobolds, some hobgoblins, a carrion crawler and a few slimes - Baldurs Gate I anybody?

Minsc doesn't require as much work as Keldorn but Keldorn does pay off end the end. However you can't compare just the 'finished-products' you have to compare the processess required to get them there.

5. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

If you're Good, take them both. That's about as hardcore of a good fighter team that you can get in BG.

6. Hyperion Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

@reepnorp: Why would you ever need Seravok to cast healing spells?!? he is a warrior and he is the best at his job. Does the Minsc's minor healing spell gives you any help? For me never did.
    And I'll never take Minsc in my party just because he is Minsc, the old companion from BG 1. I will never understand this about you, people!
    @Abomination: true, true... But Keldorn is much better even in the early part of the game. Doesn't requires that much equipment. And let's take a look at their abilities. I'll choose any time Keldorn's true sight and dispel over Minsc's enrage (which is however a suicidal act for me to perform).Taking notice that Keldorn can wield the Carsomyr... not a hard choice for me, you know.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.