1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Minor Spell Sequencer, Spell Sequencer, Contingencies and Chain Contingencies

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Chain Contingency
    Set at see enemy/closest enemy
    - 3x Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting
    or
    - Pierce Shield + 2x Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting

Contingency
    At levels
    12-17: Stoneskin 50%
    18+: Mislead See enemy

Minor Sequencer
    2x Magic Missile
    or
    Magic Missile + Melf's Acid Arrow

or for a multiclass or dual class fighter/mage:
    Blur + Mirror Image

Spell Sequencer
    Greater Malison + Magic Missile + Melf's Acid Arrow
    or
    Greater Malison + Slow + Web
    or
    3x Magic Missile

Spell Trigger
    3x Lower Resistance
    or
    3x Chain Lightning

or for a multiclass or dual class fighter/mage:
    Improved Haste + Prot f Magical Weapons + Mislead

A few comments
    Luck + Mirror Image is not a bad choice for Minor Sequencer, but remember this (From http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Main.htm ):
    Chromatic Orb has a +6 save, so even with Greater Malison it's too often a waste of time casting it. Besides it's bugged and disregards the targets MR unless you've got the "baldurdash" fix.

The Fireshield spells are pathetic. They only give you 50% resistance whereas the 3rd levels spells Fire and Cold Resistance gives 100% resistance (the manual is wrong). The offensive effect of the Fireshield spells is practically useless.

3x Skull Trap in a Spell Sequencer is tempting, but the short casting range of that spell often cause problems.
    3x Fireball (or something similar) is also often used and it's good enough, but I prefer "safe" party-friendly spells.

[ January 12, 2005, 13:29: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

2. Deuce Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@Earl Grey

Agree that Skull Trap is a little short on range, a good option for a mage/cleric multi-class might be Holy Smite x3. Worst case for targets with no MR is 42 - 168 damage and blinded for a round, best case for your targets 21-84 damage and no blindness. It's not party friendly if you have an evil party, but otherwise works pretty well.

3. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Why do people use fireball instead of skulltrap? Skulltrap has a much higher damage potential then fireball, although it has a smaller area of effect. I usually don't use area of effect spells with a party present, unless they are immune to the effect (like ring of free action + web, or total immunity to fire and any fire based spell), otherwise it's to much hassle. And when soloing there is no excuse not to use skull trap in stead o ffireball, or is there?

4. Deuce Gems: 5/31

@ Thunder

I'm pretty sure that a Spell Trigger will fail if you target it beyond the normal range of a spell it contains. Not sure if they all fail, or just the out of range spell. I'm guessing this is mostly to keep you from turning "self" and "touch" range spells into long range attacks. Skull Trap has a pretty short range, compared to almost all other area-effect spells, and thus you either need to move close to targets (and risk getting caught in the blast, as well as attack) or risk having it fail.

5. Ekarderif Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Chain Contigency - when Helpless
    3x Project Image

What? :rolleyes: Can't I cheese?

Contigency - when Helpless
    Shadow Door (Come to think of it, Mislead is oh so better)

Spell Trigger
    3x Lower Resistance
    or
    2x Lower Resistance + Breach

Spell Sequencer
    Greater Malison + 2x Fireball/Skull Trap (I use both to good effect)

Minor Spell Sequencer
    Melf's Acid Arrow + Magic Missile
    or
    2x Chromatic Orb (Of course, they'd be Greater Malisoned and probably Doomed)

6. Deuce Gems: 5/31

Another good choice for Spell Trigger or either Contingency for solo players is Sunfire. Not much help in the Fire Giant Halls, but otherwise great.

7. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

I'm usually a big proponent of Skull Trap. However in sequencers I find that they are a bit unreliable. If 3x Skull Trap works reliably for you then it's a great choice.

I did not include any Cle/Mag options above, but agree that there are great combinations.

8. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Sending just your mage in with 100% fire resistance letting off a chain contingency with 3 fireballs is pretty cool.

9. knightlight Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Minor Spell Sequencer: 2x Magic Missile
    Spell Sequencer: 3 Flame Arrow (Boss killer. Seriously.)
    Spell Trigger: 3x Chain Lightning
    Contingency: Stoneskin
    Chain Contingency: Wilting wilting WILTING mwaha.

Aerie's Setup for Cleric/mage
    First two, same.
    Spell Trigger: 3x Mass Cure
    Contingency: Stoneskin; High Level; Contingency: Heal
    (I know, this takes forever) Chain Contingency 10% health: Resurrection (it heals, too) Wilting x2
    say cheeeeeeeese!

10. Deuce Gems: 5/31

@Stu,

May as well go with Delayed Blast Fireballs, you'll pick up an extra 5d6 damage for each one.

11. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The Sequencer usually is used to "stock" the most usefull uncast spells before I rest, as to increase my spellslots. The Contingency usually has Stoneskin or other protective spell(s) that activate on 50% hp.

12. San Ti Gems: 5/31

i hardly used them but mostly spell trigger for attack spells and contnigency for defensive spells

13. Rudiger Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

My new favorite sequencer, which I haven't seen mentioned, is

G.M.
    Teleport Field
    Teleport Field

If you're an Archer, and/or you've got Mazzy in the group, this is SO much fun.

OT, RE Skull Trap vs. Fireball,
    I tend to standardize on one of them for the whole party in order to simplify the task of protecting my tanks from their effects.
    So if, for example, I had Jan or Kelsey, I'd use fireballs rather than skull traps for all my mages and Protection from Fire on all my tanks.

14. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I've used the teleport field trigger in the past, but I have two complaints. It's a more defensive style than I prefer to play, and it makes it hard to see what's happening on the screen. Also it slowed down my old computer. But it is/can be a very effective strategy, especially if you want to give yourself a good laugh while fighting.

15. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Does Greater Malison stack?

That is to say does a Spell Sequencer with "Greater Malison + Greater Malison + X" give -8 to the die roll?

16. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

No, GM does not stack. It will stack with Doom, if you really want that extra 5%. GM, Doom, and Finger of Death is a kinda fun combo, if a bit wasteful.

17. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    It does allow you to kill dragons within one round if you have 3 mages. Kinda fun the first time you do it :)

18. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I am surprised that no-one has mentioned having 2 Melf's Acid Arrows in the minor sequencer (the effects stack as far as I am aware). This is a great way for disabling mages.

This is probably cheating but I cast this on enemy mages when they are 'blue' so they have great difficulty in hitting me when they turn hostile.

19. Gilden Gems: 5/31

I don't see any specific limit placed on acid arrow. It seems you get the 2-8 damage lasting 3 rounds when you are 6th-8th level, 4 rounds at 9th to 11th level and so on up to 7 rounds at 18th or higher level.

So if you are cruising along at 20th level (the max level for calculating spell effects generally), and you cast an acid arrow spell it would appear that it does 2-8 damage each round for seven rounds. That pans out as 14-56 damage (average 35). This means a minor sequencer with 2x acid arrow will do an average of 70 damage over 7 rounds when cast.

Compare that to magic missile, which casts a maximum of 5 missiles (from 9th level up). The damage for a mm is 1-4+1, which averages out as 3and1/2. Therefore, 5 missiles do 10-25 damage (average 17and1/2). The minor sequencer with two mm's does an average of 35 damage.

The ability to disrupt spells over a long period is a valuable one, and the extra damage acid arrow does (in the example above it is double that of mm) is tempting, but as has already been pointed out, mm is great for rubbing off an enemy mages stoneskins. If you have two mages, load a diiferent minor sequencer choice for each.

My Contingency is the standard Stoneskin on self, triggered on 50% health.

Sequencer is
    3x skull trap if you can judge the distances well. Remember not to target an individual but a place on the ground, same if you use fireball here.... or (if Cleric/MU)
    Greater Malaison + Doom + Slow (the Slow save is at -4, so the 'sequenced' save is now at -10)

As for the higher level spell trigger (3 spells up to 6th level)
    3xLower Resistance, or
    Pierce Magic + Breach or Remove Magic + Power Word Silence (no save for this) or
    Protection from Magic Weapons + Mislead + Spell Deflection

20. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Contingency: Dispel Magic when disabled is a decent idea.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.