1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Militarisation of law enforcement - Overkill in America's domestic wars on everything

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Ragusa, May 17, 2010.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Oh, yeah, I have no problem with the warrant and the raid. Turns out that these guys weren't complying with the legal pot laws in Washington, so getting their stuff seized is certainly reasonable. My problem was (a) the implementation vis-a-vis the gun to the head of the unarmed kid and (b) taking the girl's $80. Please. $80 is not evidence of squat (well, that's not true completely. IMO, giving a 9 year old girl $80 for straight A's on a single report card is warped -- we're talking a second grade kid; what does giving that kid that much money for a report card teach?)

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I was giving my son $20 for an A, $10 for a B, -$10 for a D and he lost it all for an F (he was in high school and I was getting desperate). I don't think $80 is unreasonable if handled right -- it was absolutely wrong to take it.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    So you think I'm "warped?" Oh, well. Between the two of my girls, their take is about 200.00 for straight As.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, I guess we look at it differently. Not to get too offtrack, but I think paying a kid for grades is, in and of itself, a bad idea.

I freely admit that I never got paid for grades but my brother (a less than overachieving student) was offered that bribe. Didn't work very well and didn't help his study habits at all.

With my kids, we expect them to do well and, when they don't reach the levels we know they can reach, we let them know how disappointed we are and that it is unacceptable for them to under-achieve (there is a decent amount of room for grades that are not up to snuff but don't cause the disappointment speach, BTW, it's not like it's straight A's or nothing).

Edit: CtR, you know I don't think you're warped. In my experience, paying kids for grades doesn't work and I find the practice to be somewhat warped.

5. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I know, DMC. I was just playing. :)

I love to spoil my kids....

6. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Third paragraph covers it all:
    I don't think the overall principle of taking the money from the child was wrong. Again, it may have been marked bills, especially since undercover officers had repeatedly bought marijuana from the parents. Even if not, it may have been useful evidence in a trial. Given the details of the rest of the find, though, I think it was a little over the top unless they were marked bills. I'm also curious why SWAT was there at all, unless someone had a registered firearm or firearms had been seen at the house before (by the undercover officers).

That seems to me to be... quite generous of you, Chandos. Good man.:)

7. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm an American. I don't use illegal drugs, and I am very much against the use of illegal drugs (especially around children). I don't smoke. I barely drink. I don't cheat on my wife, or even flirt with other women. Heck, I come straight home from work every day to be with my family. I rarely swear, and don't swear in front of my children. In other words, I'm about as straight-laced as they come.

But the video posted by Ragusa, to me, is completely disturbing and apalling. Those officers brought proverbial bazukas when fly swatters would have been sufficient. To me, it looked like a bunch of high school bullys had grown up, gotten jobs, and were hiding behind badges to continue their bullying. I sincerely hope some of those guys lost their jobs due to their extreme misconduct. I mean, come on, killing the family pet because dad has some reefer in his closet? Painting such a horrible picture in the child's subconscious that will probably never go away? Utterly and completely deplorable.

Chandos the Red likes this.
  8. Chandos the Red

Media:
    That's pretty much it. And that's from somone who lived with a cop for 21 years.

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    As for taking the money, one other big issue related to such raids part of the original point in Balko's paper [link in first post on page 1] was forfeiture laws. Cops in raids are generally allowed to confiscate everything that looks like money or assets gained through criminal acts, in drug cases in particular.

Not only did they take the money apparently assuming they must have been criminal gains, they were asserting the girl was lying about having gotten it for grades - and the girl will have a hard time getting it back. Protection of citizens whose property has been unjustifiably been confiscated is very weak in America.

And then, if dad was a indeed criminal and paid her for grades with money gained through crime, hostile authorities could claim money laundering and keep the money on those grounds.

Now that sure does sound like overkill to me.

10. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    I don't see them as claiming she lied about the grades. Whether she was payed for A's or for coming straight home from school is meaningless. If she was payed with drug money, it's stil drug money.

For the rest of your post, though, I don't know much about the law in that case, so I'll stay out of it.

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I see that dmc didn't say that I wasn't warped.

... it's just a jump to the left ...

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I agree with that - if the arguement was they seized the money on the basis that they got that money from the sale of drugs, then it doesn't matter why they gave it to the girl. If such an excuse were considered acceptable, then they'd never be able to seize any money. "Sorry officer, you see, that money is not really mine. I gave my daughter $15 million for her straight-A report card."

On a side note, why, at the age of 9, would you need $80? Perhaps I led a very sheltered childhood, but when I was 9, if I needed something, my parents bought it for me. If I really wanted something (but did not necessarily need it), I usually got that too if my request was reasonable.

Once I got into high school, I worked a part time job for my spending money on weekends, so I never got paid for grades. But at least I can see why a teenager may need/want money. I don't see why a 9-year old would need to be carrying around more money than what they would need to buy their lunch at school.

13. Chandos the Red

Media:
    There should be an element of common sense, which seems to be missing on the side of law enforcement, as Ragusa points out. Any property which is seized from a citizen is still private property and should be accounted for in a proper manner. There is a difference between seizing 15 million dollars and taking 80.00 out of a Barbie wallet of a 9-year old. If law enforcement cannot tell the difference, they are morons. The Revolution was "born" over the issue of property rights. Nothing should be more sacred to Americans than the right to their lives and property, regardless of what some "petty officials" of the state claim.

14. Ragusa

Media:
    A problem that hasn't gotten nearly enough attention here is that it is up to the one whose property was confiscated to prove that the stuff he owned was legitimately earned and acquired. Throw away your bills too quickly and you'd find yourself in trouble. It can be a difficult thing to prove.

And what if a person of his or her spouse has a legit income, and allegedly engages in crime as well - does the rotten apple spoil the whole barrel? Even what's in a child's purse? Let them confiscate everything and let God sort it out?

One ought to keep in kind that this approach breaks with fundamental and basic principle: That authorities, if they charge you with a crime or confiscate your property under forfeiture laws, originally had to prove you did something wrong, or that you illegitimately acquired something. Here, the reverse is the case - a citizen has to disprove the charge made by the police if he wants to regain his lost property, if he fails to do that he forfeits it.

The idea behind search warrants originally was and still is to make it difficult for authorities to search and seize - precisely because privacy and property are constitutional rights.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  15. Chandos the Red

Media:
    When James Otis argued this, it was even deeper than constitutional rights, but rights that are in man's nature, and given by the "Author of Nature." When "Liberty" is mentioned, this is what some are speaking of; not "liberty" from Commies, Islamists, or terrorists," but "Liberty" that goes back to Anglo-Saxon England and when it was decided that these rights were "self-evident" and did even require a piece of parchment to have force.

16. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Was the $80 not accounted for in a proper manner? The search warrant probably covered the home and all occupants, right?

I'm not entirely sure on the legal process here, but may I assume you're talking about what happens if there is no arrest or trial? It would seem to me that the police should have to return the confiscated property or charge a suspect within a certain amount of time.

17. Ragusa

Media:
    NOG,
    yes so it would seem. But according to Balko people after raids that resulted in no charges had problems getting their property back. No charges, no crime, no reason to confiscate? It apparently didn't change anything about the reversal of the burden of proof.

Balko also points out that for some departments confiscations amount to a large part of their budget, creating an incentive for confiscations.

I invite you to read Balko's paper; he writes about that.

18. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Some police departments in larger crime-riddled cities in the US have even gone further than that, unfortunately, doing things like holding witnesses to crimes against their will in order to ensure their cooperation.

There's certainly a line to be crossed here, but I'm not entirely sure where it lies. That whole "it's a different world today" argument - and the implication that greater intrusions upon liberties are justified because of it - often comes into play now. (See the US response to terrorism and the justification for things like the Patriot Act.)

I'm curious to know what people on the front lines - those who suffer most from unchecked crime - think of this in general. As has been said already, there are those who have mistrust and malice for their police departments, but I suspect there may be others who welcome these modern 'tactics,' because they have a limiting effect on crime.

19. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I'm not sure. Did it?

20. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    While I'm sure $80 is a fortune to your average 9 year old, of all the points raised in this thread across the 3 listed cases, this detail to me is the most trivial, and I'm surprised its become a primary focus.

-Pointing a gun to 14 year old's head - without proper cause, this is obviously a really big problem.
    -Shooting and killing the family dog while otherwise treating a minor MJ offence as if the family is to be "considered armed and extremely dangerous" - appalling and completely unacceptable.
    -Killing a 7 year old child "in the line of duty" - I guess that accidents happen, but I don't even have words for how wrong this one is. I'm actually getting choked up, again, just thinking about it.

Compared against:
    -Taking $80 of possible drug money from a child - somehow this barely fails to register as important.

I don't know. I guess it's just me....

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.