1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Merry Xmas Gerry Ford...RIP.

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Kitrax, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Ancient only by those colonials' standards. :p

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    America has had its share of bad presidents, but I don't think (and it's my opinion) that we have ever had one this bad. Bush is probably the worst we have ever suffered - maybe Calvin Coolidge was as bad as this one.

There is a reason I have mostly high regard for the "ancient presidents," besides being brilliant and capable men. If you guessed because we have not had many good presidents lately, then it was a good guess....

3. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I don't think I ever said that Ford was a good President...clearly that wasn't the case as he was a part of the dynamics that set up a lot of economic issues that weren't resolved for almost 10 years after his Presidency..

President Ford was a good man before he became President and he remained one during and after...something exceedingly rare in recent history.

4. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

I'm old enough to remember Ford's presidency clearly and, oddly enough, have a lifesaving award from the American Red Cross, earned during my police days, with his signature as the honorary chairman of the organization.

At the time of his presidency I didn't much like most of what he did, though I sympathized with his situation. He did not ask to be President and probably didn't expect that would happen when he agreed to be appointed vice president after that snake Spiro Agnew resigned. Like many who knew Nixon he didn't really believe Nixon could have broken the law in his political machinations. As for his pardon, I was furious at the time, but my feelings have moderated over the years. I am less inclined to condemn him for a difficult judgment call, though I'm not sure I would have voted to give him that award for it.

However, I do believe his overall character and style would be welcome in an American leader today. What a pity the political scene here has become so degraded and vilely rude!

And whatever history's judgment of him, as for anyone who dies, I say, rest in peace, and may those who love you find comfort in their memories of shared devotion.

For an interesting contrast, read the posts on the death of James Brown in The Sensorium.

5. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    As the Republic goes further and further astray, the presidents get worse. Therefore, by extension, the "ancient" presidents really were better (in most cases) because they were more inclined to feel bound to uphold their Constitutional responsibilities as president. As the Constitution weakens, the hubris of the presidents (and politicians in general) grows. It is a vicious cycle. President Ford's term in office was pretty ineffectual overall, which is not necessarily a bad thing. In general, governmental gridlock is a good thing since it limits the government's capacity for mischief.

I, too, believe that he was a good man which, as has been said before, is a refreshing change in a politician.

6. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Quite interesting to contrast the Capitol observances for Ford with the ones a couple of years ago for Reagan. Same office, same place, but the Ford family did not seem to need or want the pageantry offered to Reagan. And I don't recall seeing Reagan's family turn up to shake hands with the public coming to pass by the casket - though I may be wrong about that.

7. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think that has more to do with that Reagan was a beloved President by many. Ford may have been a nice guy, but he never instilled the passion the way Reagan did.

8. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

It probably also has to do with the fact that a lot of people remember the turn around in the national attitude and economy under President Reagan...the main things people remember President Ford for was the pardon of President Nixon, the fact he was the only President who wasn't elected, and the fact he got beat by President Carter.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.