1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Matrix Supplement In The Works!

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Nick The Friendly Goth, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I am currently working on a Matrix Supplement for D20/3E. It will contain new feats, skills, classes, prestige classes and much more. As well as stats for Agents, The Twins, Neo ETC. It will also function as a Champaign world book with everything you need to play in The Matrix.

Questions? Comments?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Err... and you got permission from whoever holds the copyright on everything Matrix?

3. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31

Tsk Tsk It's only for personal use... The only reason I posted this is for help in the process of making it.

4. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Seems silly to me. How do you make stats for an Agent, for example? They are unkillable, right? Except for The One, which kinda means that the whole campaign's kinda centered around one person.

5. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31

“Seems silly to me. How do you make stats for an Agent, for example?”

You make them superbly strong so that your players will not fight them they will run like little girls from them!

“They are unkillable, right? Except for The One, which kinda means that the whole campaign's kinda centered around one person.”

Not really the pcs don’t HAVE to fight agents they can fight regular people who haven’t been freed yet such as cops and the like.

The pcs can never get as good as neo or an agent but they can still have a good amount of fun flipping off walls and kicking butt.

6. Oaz Gems: 29/31

In other words, it's d20, except there are things in the movie that you can't be and things in the movie that you can't kill. Fun.

7. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31

Have you heard of the Enter the Matrix Console game? Playing d20 would be similar to that because you’re not playing as Neo, Trintiy, ETC you’re playing as other people we don't get to see and exploring other areas of the story line. And if you wanted you could let your pcs play Neo and co. And the pcs can "kill" agents at high levels IE trinity popping a cap in the agent's head in the film. but they shouldn't be allowed to take one head on or decode one.

[ April 30, 2003, 22:10: Message edited by: Exiled Tainted Love ]

8. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well, I plan to play it, but more for a cheap thrill ;) It is fun to do some of the wall flipping, law defing action, but because of the serious limitations, there isn't much point of making it the focus of my rpging.

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

If I were you I wouldn't base it on D&D. You'd have to totaly redo most of it as it is made for medieval fantasy, not with guns, cars and übertech.

10. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31

After your "feedback" I have decided to make a few changes.

Players can now become as powerful as neo.
    Players can now take agents head on at their own risk.

So in other words players can become super bad-ass take on 50 agents so on and so forth. However I am planning to have agents ability scores in the 40’s so unless your super bad you probably won’t want to take one on.

Aikanaro… I’ve looked at other systems but none of them seemed to work as well D20 has feats and such which make things far easier.

11. Oaz Gems: 29/31

[EDIT: In reponse to Aikanaro:]

Actually, such a module doesn't belong based on D&D (although this section is probably the most appropriate). It's based on d20, which is more or less a universal system that can be applied to D&D, Star Wars, Call of Cthulu, etc.

[EDIT:] All stats in the 40s? Yikes. I mean, that's like, well, yikes. Yikes.

[ May 02, 2003, 22:37: Message edited by: C'Jakob ]

12. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31

Exactly, D20 seemsed to be the best system for the task. And this is really the only place to post it.

13. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Ya, 40 is like gold dragons and stuff. Not only that, if you only get 1 point every 4 levels, and you'll start at around 15, then how are you ever going to get to be able to challenge an agent. Getting to level 100 would be pretty pointless.......

14. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31

You thinks that yikes? ha ha Neo will have 50's...Plus a boatload of new feats.

15. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Okay, then. Double yikes.

You do realize that 50 is somewhere in the domains of gods (in D&D), right? And that's a really good stat even for a god. Someone like Kord (god of Strength) has 50 in that stat. Fifty is a lot.

Think of it this way: Neo vs. Agent.

1. They roll for initiative.

2a. Neo wins initiative. Given Neo's very powerful stats, he wipes the floor with the agent in his turn.

2b. Agent wins initiative. Given the Agen's very powerful stats, he wipes the floor with Neo in his turn.

This is pretty much the complaint by players who've played Epic Games. Things become issues of initiative.

Of course, you could add other things to balance it out, but I suspect it'll simply be as normal D&D, except that the results are multiplied by twenty or so.

16. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31

I see your point. But Neo will have several feats to compensate for this. The reason for the 50's is because he is the ONE in the trailer he takes out 20 agents I mean come on that has to warrant a 50.

17. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Psh. I'd just give him some spell-like/supernatural ability that comes along with being the One. Something like touching a Agent forces it to make a save (say, DC 35) or explode.

Just a thought.

18. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31

Nice idea I think I’ll do that. The other thing was letting him have a feat like deflect arrow except with bullets the only difference would be he could do it for each ranged attack that hits him. And he could also use it in close combat.

Takes note to put C'Jakob in the credits.

19. Oaz Gems: 29/31

To give you another idea, I would simply add a huge deflection bonus to Neo's AC, and/or give him some like an Entropic Shield (I think that's the word) effect, except the miss chance is considerably higher.

I strongly suggest a "the One" template, although the CR would probably increase by dozens.

20. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31

Good one I’ll test both options and see which works best. Another idea I had was if the enemy misses by a certain amount neo get's to strike back i.e. Agent misses neo strikes him even though it's not neo's turn.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.