1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mass Effect

Discussion in 'Playground' started by dmc, Dec 30, 2013.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I never played any of the Mass Effect games at all. Are they any good for a traditional RPG player like me? Steam has a sale, so I was thinking . . .

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I enjoyed it, but I played it more like a FPS (and developed my character accordingly). I think there were enough dialogue options that you could role-play it easily enough, though (although I'm not sure whether the different options made any difference outcome-wise).

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    OK, so worth the ten bucks for #1 and #2 I guess.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yup, but don't expect to get hundreds of hours of gameplay. :)

5. dmc

Media:
    Heck, based on the value I got out of PST, BG and BG2, I'm so in the plus on hours of gameplay for the dollar that I could buy 10 stinkers that I never play and still be ahead. I was just wondering if it was good for a play through or not.

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I only played ME1 through once (soldier). Definitely worth 5 bucks. There is certainly the potential for multiple run-throughs, but for whatever reason the other classes didn't really appeal to me.

Haven't bought ME2 yet. I have way too many unplayed games in my Steam Library (16), so I'll wait until the next sale.

7. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Played them all. And they're worth the money.
    Only thing that bothered me in ME2 and M3 was the absence of M1 mechanics like powers, skills and weapon overheating. And the Mako! :)
    They did it right the first time.:D

8. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

ME 1&2 are both fantastic games, but different in some ways. ME2 is more "guns 'n' conversation" than an RPG, but it's superbly designed and paced, and comes into its own on Hardcore or higher difficulties, where you have to think a bit more about squad positioning and power use. The planet-scanning mechanic has taken a lot of stick, but I prefer that to ME1's tedious inventory management with its arbitrary carry limit. ME1 does a fine job of world-building and scene-setting, but pads itself too much into the bargain, and none of the classes feel as distinct as they do in the sequel. Once you've got used to ME1, the transition to a more 3rd person cover-shooter style in ME2 can feel jarring, but as it's one of the few games to make that style not tedious it doesn't take too long to adjust.

EDIT: almost forgot the Mako! I got on fine with it in ME1, but many people didn't. The relative lack of exploration is a miss, but you can see why the devs did it... ME2's pacing is much better as a result.

But basically, they're both well worth playing space romps that do a great job of making you feel a part of a good sci-fi series. Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly and (of course) Star Trek all get referenced heavily, but that just helps build atmosphere. IMO, they're both must-plays.

9. Arkite

Arkite Crash or crash through Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'd recommend the first one, the second not so much.

Unlimited ammo was a great feature of the first game that really gave the player a lot more freedom, and it was explained in the lore/encyclopedia in a way that made perfect sense. Playing bullet preservation and scavenging ammo clips in the 2nd game, as well as loadouts and modification restrictions just sucked a big chunk of fun out of the game for me.

10. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    I loved the series, it may not be a traditional RPG but it is still an action rpg, character development, good and bad choices, weapon and armour loadout etc... give you the feel of an rpg, and then the fast paced real time combat and squad leadership gives it that 'action movie' feel. Some cut scenes can really tug at your emotions.

The second and third games definately tell of a console to PC port, with the addition of key console type aspects, quick time events and the introduction of 'ammo' are perfect examples of how they've tried to make the game appeal to a larger audience (more money) but thankfully they didn't ruin the game with too much of that crap.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.