1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mass Effect on PC [May/June '08]

Discussion in 'Mass Effect Series' started by Erod, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    IIRC the 8000 series are all PCIe only, so I can't use it on my motherboard, and upgrading that would require a new system entirely.

I'm moving out at the end of the year (December/January) most probably, so I'll get a new PC at the time as well. By then the price of the game will have hopefully dropped so I may actually get it.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    If your mobo doesn't have a PCIe slot, you're probably ready for an upgrade anyway pal. Get it done, you'll feel better for it man!

3. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

In case you have not been following the news at the Bioware website, they announced some days ago that the "Bring Down the Sky" downloadable content will be available for the PC as well, as a free download on the release date. Great news indeed!

4. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Arhg!! I can't wait to play that game! It will make me forget about Dragon Age :p

5. Erod Gems: 14/31

Veteran

I recall saying the same thing about Jade Empire Special Edition some years ago :-).

6. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
  7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm sure that they've calculated that they'll profit more from this annoyance than lose... for those with an Internet connection it's a non-issue really (assuming that it works properly).

8. Ziad

Media:
    That's a pretty big assumption unfortunately.
    The only game which internet check that has worked so far was Doom 3 (or was that its expansion?). Every other game I've tried, including Steam itself, will not run on this connection. By the time I get Mass Effect I'll most probably have moved anyway, so I'm not that fussed, but this trend of relying on internet connections is getting a bit irritating.

9. Erod Gems: 14/31

Veteran

If that is true... great, just great... [insert a lot of swearing here]!
    I have the game on preorder, but I am very tempted to cancel it and leave it to rot on the store shelf.

10. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

So, I've just been reading about the copy protection for Mass Effect PC over at the Bioware forums... And I must say I am a bit worried. This looks like it's going to be Bioshock all over again. The major difference is that MEPC will keep trying to verify you're not a thief every 10 days. You get 3 activations which are tied to particular computers (not accounts). I guess this is good as far as you don't upgrade your PC much. Plus I move often, so am without an internet connection for months at a time, except at work... I can haul my PC into work to activate the game ONCE (even though it's a hassle) but I can't do it every 10 days!

Even with a constant internet connection I can envision 2 possible scenarios:

Honest user will buy the game legally on opening day. He will install it and try to activate it legally, but will be unable to, because the EA servers crash as everyone tries to authenticate the game (see Bioshock). He will change motherboard/HDD and have to use up another activation - until they're all gone. And he will be treated like a suspected felon every 10 days. If he has an internet connection problem on day 11, he will have to phone EA to beg them to help him play his legally bought software.

Dishonest user will download an illegal cracked copy of the game and then play it.

11. Erod Gems: 14/31

Veteran

The protection has been changed so that it does not need constant re-activation anymore. Which is a step to the right direction. However, the fact that you only get 3 activations is one of the worst ideas ever. The same thing as buying a movie on a physical media, which you are only allowed to watch 3 times before calling the studio for permission to watch it again... Add to this the fact that certain driver changes can cause you to need a new activation (happened with Bioshock), thus wasting one of the few you have.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    BioShock's copy protection scheme didn't last long... I don't expect this one will either. But I guess they're just aiming for that initial period when most people will buy it at full price... a while later they'll probably ease up on the severity of the protection. Customer convenience doesn't really play any role here... as long as people are, pardon my French, stupid enough to buy a game like this despite knowing about its protection in advance, then they have no one to blame but themselves for having to endure the inconvenience. The only way a customer gets to influence a game publisher is with their wallet. So you either buy the game and support the publisher, or you don't buy it and deny them your support. That's just the way it is. The masses will always buy first and ask questions later. But if you're smart, you first ask questions and then decide whether to spend your money or not. Maybe that's what the Mass Effect in the game title alludes to... :D

13. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

But that's just silly! Because of the insane copy protection I have now decided to wait - to make sure that there are no problems. But by that time, the cracked version will most likely be available too - so if I were less than honest I could just download it. On the contrary, if the overblown copy protection wasn't there I would have pre-ordered the game already! Ah the stupidity of it all is just staggering!

Really? Is that official or just a rumour?

Edit: Official I guess? http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=629059&forum=125

Ah well, still not perfect but much better... Although I may be a little bit too cynical to believe this:

14. Ziad

Media:
    Tal's post made me think of an interesting scenario. Suppose the masses decide that they've had enough with this type of schemes and don't buy the game. Some copies will sell in the beginning, of course, but nowhere near as many as EA or BioWare expected. Then EA goes into a panic, realises people are not buying the game because of the copy protection and releases a version of the game with a more reasonable copy protection scheme.

Or, more likely, they blame the poor sales on piracy and people illegally downloading their games...

15. Taluntain

Media:
    It seems silly, but if it works for the bottom line, it isn't. And that's ultimately all that matters to the publishers. They wouldn't be implementing systems like this unless their market analysis told them that more people would pirate the game if it was less protected than they will lose legitimate customers no matter how unreasonable the copy protection put on the game is. Which isn't to say that the analysis which brought them to that wasn't wrong in the first place, but likely it's correct.

The premise is always that those who want to pirate any game will do so regardless of the copy protection on it. The current system relies only on the majority of the paying customers being willing to endure the protection.

Certainly, if a mass (heh) revolt could be organised, it would force publishers to do their business differently. But that's an IF so big that it has not been successfully carried out even once. Most gamers want their games yesterday, and very few are willing to forego playing the next big thing on principle or to wait long enough to force a publisher to take action. The publishers know their demographic and know very well how miserably every attempt at a petition against this sort of thing or calls to boycott it have failed in the past. Not to mention that most of the people who buy any game don't know about its copy protection until they see it with their own eyes.

16. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If sales go bad, even less pc games will be made. I will buy it on the first day I can get my hands on it, and will report here asp.

I do not think it is that bad. the 3 times installing, that is the problem. But as whit Bioshock, they will adapt if we yell, rant and scream on their forum. I remember the treads on the bioshock and two worlds fora. Those were drastic.

17. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

It doesn't necessarily have to be organized. Free-market economics and all that... if people are fed up then they're fed up and simply choose to spend their money on other things.

I'm fairly neutral on the whole thing. Too many people these days seem to want a strange kind of hybrid economy and market, i.e. a sort of communist "all games should be free, dudes!" attitude yet still expect game companies to crank out massive (har har) games that take 3 years and millions of dollars to develop. You could say the same about music, movies, etc. It's a consumer-driven market, alright, I'm just not sure I like where we're driving it to. :o

18. Ziad

Media:
    No one's asking for games to be free. What I'm asking for is that, if I pay good money to buy a game, I expect to own the game. Which means I can install it as many times as I want without having to call someone and beg them to let me do it while being treated like a software pirate. The fact that EULAs now specifically tell you that no, you do not own the game, but are instead buying the right to play the game and the game stays property of the publisher, is not something I find acceptable. Every music CD or movie DVD I own is, as the verb implies, owned by me. I can listen/watch whenever I want. Games used to be the same, and from a consumer's perspective I expect this to remain. I refuse to pay money for a game that could become obsolete just because the publisher decides I'm not allowed to play it anymore (or, worse, because their server crashes).

Nothing irritates me more than the constant barrage of derisive comments from people who have this wonderful internet connection that lets them do anything they want. Mine doesn't. The building's connection to the outside is firewalled, and most of the strange activation systems don't work. I am not willing to pay £50 on a game just to find out if it will work, and I'm certainly not going to move houses just to satisfy some publisher's paranoia about piracy. One-time activation is annoying enough - carrying my desktop PC to the office is not my idea of fun - but I'm certainly not going to do that every X days. The only option left would be to just not buy the game.

19. Taluntain

Media:
    Exactly... that is the only option. Support publishers that release games without or with less annoying copy protection. That way you're actually actively fighting the system to the maximum possible extent that you can. If you just pirate the game instead, you simply confirm what the publishers think, i.e. that anyone who doesn't buy the game will pirate it anyway. But if you choose to give another publisher your money instead, that's actually significant.

20. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The 10 day re evaluating is gone, now we only need to register once. As I said, it will not stop me from playing.

Deinstalling and reinstalling can be done as mnyt times as you like. only when you change systems, you lose a turn.

Not to bad I should think. In these day and age even fair.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.