1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Marathon match at Wimbledon.

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Morgoroth, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

[​IMG] Okay, so most people are preoccupied with the World Cup but there are never the less other sports around and other tournaments played at the same time. ;)

For one, the number one event of the tennis season at Wimbledon London is underway. The highlight of today was the marathon match between American John Isner and Nicolas Mahut from France which has now taken over 10 hours and they're still not finished! The organizers were forced to stop the match due darkness and it will continue tomorrow from 59-59(!) in the fifth set, I've never seen anything similar before! I believe this will be the longest professional tennis match in history. Both players have also broken the record held previously by Ivo Karlovic on the number of aces in a single match with Isner having now 98 and Mahut 94. That's also a record which will surely not be broken in a very very long time. All I can say is wow and hope that the organizers have enough heart to schedule arrangements since the winner is due on court again tomorrow for the next match! Incredible...

Correction: Karlovic's previous record was actually 78 aces.

2. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I Saw parts of it. I did not want to see Germany win with the score of 1-0 like normal so I watched Wimbledon.

This is pure history. Who ever wins the WC football/soccer is just a footnote.

3. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

It's truly incredible that Mahut & Isner are still going - having played so many hours, I worry that the match is only going to end when one of them pulls something and has to retire hurt! Isner, in particular, looked dead on his feet but still managed to hit aces. In spite of their fatigue, both refused to raise the white flag (maybe Sarko should make Domenech & the French Football team watch a DVD of Mahut's performance). I can see there being a result this morning, however, as with some rest someone might be able to summon up enough energy to break the other's serve.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    No one has seen anything like this before, because you are right - this is the longest match in professional tennis history. In fact, it's the longest by a lot. The previous record was just a bit over 6.5 hours, and this is over 10. You could play about 5 World Cup matches in that time.

Of course, this is something that can really only happen at Wimbledon. In most tennis matches, they allow a set to finish 7-6, and you are only required to win the last game by two points. In Wimbledon, you have to win the last set by two games. That is not a subtle difference.

This has occurred to me as well. In fact, since the match started Tuesday, it's possible that the winner is actually scheduled to play again today, which would be problematic to say the least. Ultimately, I think both players are toast after this match. Whoever they would play in the next match will be well rested, while they will be exhausted. I cannot see either of them advancing further than this round.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  5. Morgoroth

Well the match is over now with Isner eventually winning the match 70-78 in the fifth, after eleven hours of play. Both players also hit over the 100 mark with aces! When Ivanisevic got to Wimbledon final in 1994 (I think?) he hit 200 aces in the course of the entire tournament. These two hit the same amount in a single match! Ivanisevic is also known as one of the best servers of all time! Incredible!

@Aldeth I actually believe that in all Grand Slam tournaments the final set is played long without a tiebreak.

6. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    It's over. Isner wins 6-4, 3-6, 6-7 (7-9), 7-6 (7-3), 70-68 :jawdrop:

7. Morgoroth

Isner has a doubles match scheduled in about an hour, something tells me that he'll be pulling out from that one. He'll have to be back on court for the next round in singles in about 24 hours, so I think he'll probably be too exhausted to stand much of a chance in the next match.

8. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Congratulations to Isnar - but much respect to Mahut, who must've had to save the match on his serve 62 or 63 times! Incredible determination, expecially when you know that one duff service game could see you lose, whereas your opponent gets a go at breaking back.

9. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    US open has fifth set tie brake. Wimbledon and Roland Gaross use this system. Australia ???

10. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    A comment by Caroline Wozniacki:

:lol:

(Original article, in Danish.)

11. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Poor guy had no gas left in the tank and was demolished in the second round.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.