1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Manuals these days...

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Rednik, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I really liked the manual for Master of Olympus: Zeus.
    It's written like a story where this dude is trying to build a city in ancient Greece (that's what you're doing in the game) and the gods come and tell him how to build it.

The Arcanum manual was pretty good too.

2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Bard, you didn't miss much :)
    I mean, it was an interesting read (the story section was something like 20 pages long, with background information on the world, the war that preceeded, Diablo himself, etc etc etc), but once you're done reading it you can forget about it, since the game doesn't really add anything to the story anyway.

3. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I didn't like the game too much either. But, I think this was because I played it way after D2. So I found it a wee bit slow and limiting.

4. Meatdog Gems: 15/31

Well, I kind of understand why they put the manuals in pdf format, when it is for an older game they bring out in some kind of collection or white label edition, which are in my experience the only games who have their manuals in pdf format. But I'm also a weird person, compared to most here, since except for the screen switching during gaming, I don't really mind pdf format manuals. Heck, if they are made correctly in pdf, and are not just scans of a paper manual, I prefer them, since then you can use the search function on them. But I do like paper based access to tables and other information that is actually usefull during playing.

5. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

@Meatdog: that sums it up quite well. It's all down to whether you reference the manuals during the game, then you can't beat the paper ones. Although I suppose you can always print it.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I don't see how hard it would be to include BOTH a pdf version of the manual (since, as Meatdog pointed out, it makes out-of-game searching much easier (see http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/2/7226.html ) and a nice, colourful, printed copy, for people like me who like to have nice manuals and who constantly refer to things while playing the game (and trust me, alt-tab every few minutes on a Pentium II is painful). Then everyone would be happy :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.