1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Man tests God but gets eaten by lions

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Clixby, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It's not like someone just pulled the idea of black holes and dark matter out of nowhere and went 'Yeah! Sounds cool! I think I'll believe this because it's just so damn awesome!' There is good reason for believing that these things exist - or at least most likely exist, in absense of a better explanation for the things that are attributed to them.

However, there is *nothing* that can be used to infer the existence of God except for subjective experience (which isn't terribly reliable as a guide to objective reality).

Faraaz: Sounds like deism...

3. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

There has been? Damn, I just pulled that one out. Well, nevertheless, my message was clear enough. Well, replace the black hole with, say, the world's creation explained by science.
    Sorry for all those who have felt wronged for my careless words.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Again - scientists are not just pulling their ideas out of nowhere. There is evidence for the things which they say are true - if there is not, then it is not science. There is evidence for the scientific view of how the world was created, or it would not be by definition part of the 'scientific view'

5. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Indeed, but it's by no certainty the absolute truth.

6. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

I've read some news about scientists trying to prove that creation of the world theories a few years ago. Though i don't think they've succeed in creating living organisms from elements.

Yes i completely agree with you this time. All i wanted to say was that: trying to prove "God doesn't exist" to a believer is doomed to fail.

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

^ Ditto. Better spend that breath before unsure-people become believers and use every chance to prevent religions from spreading. Just fancying this, but maybe a person becomes a "lost" cause when he joins to a more or less well-known cult. Brain-washing and all that. :hmm:

8. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I mean precisely what I said, I see alot of Atheists. I suppose my first post came out a bit offending, my apologies. To each their own. And don't ask me to explain myself :D I came to this topic because of the curious topic, but I don't dwell in religious topics due to my religious beliefs, so this will be my alst post. I preach to people, not get in pointless arguements.

9. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Yes it is really hard to change someone's beliefs. I've done this once but it was really hard. I had a friend who was a fanatic Muslim. After speaking about these matters for months, he has lost all his belief. :evil:

His family told him God exists since he was born and he couldn't think any other possibility at first. Most Muslims are like that. Brain-washing starts at childhood and goes on. I think Christians do the same thing too. I've seen a program on TV about Christianity (Evangelism IIRC) rising in USA and children were speaking like priests. They cannot think right and they cannot take decisions about their lives yet.

10. matko5 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

let's just say: if you belive in god it's not up to you to test him.

11. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Thank you matko5. For the betterment of anyone that cares, most people, both in history and in the Bible, who test God without good reason die horrible/unlikely deaths.

Its generally a bad idea to test/taunt/challenge God. If He doesn't exist, you're wasting your time. If He does, you're probably going to piss Him off.

12. matko5 Gems: 2/31

no, no, no. you can't piss off god. i just think it's stupid to test god. "ok, i'll jump of a bridge! if there is god, he'll save me!" - he won't save you.

god doesn't care whether you belive in him or not.

13. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I seem to remember this story was brought up in the Alley before, and I still think the person in question missed medication and/or lacked a detail of people to watch over him. One glimpse at this world should have confirmed for him that nothing is shielding us.
    Poor childlike character, that he could not grasp that much. So desperate to find he is being cared for - it's kinda tragic, actually.

14. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

So it's all down to the usual issue. Can't prove anything till you die and by then there is no way to record your findings. Bury me with a laptop and a wireless connection so I can stop silly buggers from jumping into lion pens.

15. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Notice the absolute rejection of the idea of "testing" your faith. Be a good christian/muslim/hindu/whatever and follow the cult! Do not doubt your faith or what others say to you! :shake:

Okay, when do we get new crusades and witch-hunts? I'm sure there are filthy satans/terrorists that need to be purged, preferably somewhere in the oil-rich countries. :D

J/K. Quote what Obelix would say: "These people are crazy!"

*Taps forehead.*

16. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I just read in the newspaper that an african priest had a vision that he should walk on water like Jesus. He tried and drowned.

17. matko5 Gems: 2/31

ah wordplay, you play with words :)

18. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
  19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The craziest thing about this story is that we must conclude that this guy actually thought that God would attempt to save him, or he was suicidal, or at the very least least self-destructive.

If he actually believed God would intervene, his actions could appear rational, if one accepts the initial (admittedly not very rational) premise. If he thought he could walk among lions without getting killed, his actions (in his own mind) did not seem to be particularly dangerous.

However, if he was trying to prove that God didn't exist, then we must further assume that he DIDN'T expect to survive the confrontation. That's where the suicidal/self-destructive part comes in. Regardless of which category he belongs in, it's a hell of a way to try and make a point.

20. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Aldeth, you're expecting this guy to have thought logically about it. I wouldn't. I think we've pretty much covered that, from ALL perspectives and ALL possibilities, intentionally putting yourself into suicidal situations and expecting God to save you isn't a logical or rational action. Add to that the fact that suicide and self-destructive behaviour are rarely logically or rationally thought through and I think we can conclude this guy had a few screws loose to say the least.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.