1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Man tests God but gets eaten by lions

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Clixby, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Yeah, enlighten us.

And BTW, I am no atheist - I'm Pagan. We don't exactly have a love story with Xtians (more the opposite), but I'll remain civil as long as you do.

2. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Neither believers nor atheists could prove their ideas for thousands of years. Now, I don't think that someone can prove that God exists or doesn't exist, especially using such a stupid event. If it was so easy everyone would be believer or everyone would be Atheist now.

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

How can you prove that a god, or multiple gods, exist at all if there is no physical or easily measured evidence? Make-believe does not put atoms into motion.

4. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nor can we prove that gods do not exist. A lack of evidence for existence is not an evidence for lack of existence.
    That's why you believe this and I believe that. We both don't need proof for our believes. That's also why it's actually called a 'believe'.
    So there's at least one thing we all have in common. :)

Edit: Bwahaha! So ironic. There's a Google Ad on my screen that says: God exists, and you? :D

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

It's common sense to presume that if there has been no solid evidence of supernatural beings in the past 100 years, at least, there are none. So, the very least, it would be foolish to believe into such things and act like stated in books dedicated for them. Tell me, Nuhn, why do you believe in the Ten Commandments? (Remembering the sheer lack of proof of their validity and presuming you are a devote christian.)

6. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Same argument can be made that there is a giant purple and yellow elephant sitting next to me right now playing a violin. No evidence to prove otherwise. Only I can see him and he disappears whenever somebody looks into the room and only I can hear him.

7. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @Wordplay:
    Are we talking about proof again? Cause I thought I just said there is nothing to prove and many do agree with it, seemingly. There has been no proof in the past 100 years that there is no God, either, so why would I believe a tale that has been told since a man said that we humans are apes? Or something different, if you prefer..? There has not been proved anything we discussed here. So, according to your own words, you are as much a fool believing there is no God as someone who does believe there is a God, like I do.

I would rather believe a story that has been around the last 2000 years (at least), than something that has been around the last 138 years (at most) and hasn't been proved, either.
    To be honest, it is this gut feeling that I know it's true. I can't and don't need to prove that either.

Why does someone believe something?

8. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

You can't have it both ways.

For all you theists saying "yeah, this proves nothing!" regarding this story, imagine the man was completely unharmed by the lions. Imagine they sat at his feet, purring while he patted their furry little heads, the whole time shouting "Behold! Faith can move mountains! And ye shall take up serpents and be unharmed! And the lion shall lay with the lamb!" You'd be saying "ah ha! Take that you sniveling athiests! There really is a God! And this proves it!"

9. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I used to pray, but then one day I happened upon Metamucil while at the supermarket. I haven't felt the need to pray since.

Edit...

And here is my own proof that God must not exist...

If one day, the sky parted, and a figure cloaked in light walked down upon an escalator festooned in banners bearing somber symbols of a torture device, the faithful would gather and declare this figure God. And I don't know...maybe His name was Stan or Jesus or something...

But then some douchebag like myself would go, "Oh no, nuh uh...I'll admit Stan, you are one way powerful dude, but your not God, because I believe in an even more powerful guy...a guy named Larry! Bow before Larry Stan, before he gets angry at your insolence!"

And Stan would say, "Listen young man, ye've obviously been spending far too much time under me sun, and I think ye might be a bit addled. I'll tell ye what, I'll take ye to Heaven, just to prove it to ye. And no, I will not stop speaking in ye olde time Hebrew."

And off we would go...

And upon arriving at Heaven, I would take a quick glance around, and not minding my thoughts... Stan would say, "Nay, the virgins thing is just an advertising gimmick."

I would say, "I'll admit Stan, this is quite the place, and you are quite the powerful figure with the mind-reading and the teleportation and whatnot...but still, I have this unshakable faith in Larry, and nothing, and I mean NOTHING, can that change."

You see children, the moral of the story is that belief in God only works if He doesn't show up and prove His existence, because if He did, He would just be 'Stan-the-Incredible'. And guys in garish robes would just choose to believe in somebody else---hence, 'God' will remain unproven for all of time.

[ August 26, 2006, 07:20: Message edited by: Late-Night Thinker ]

10. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

OMG that's the funniest thing I've heard all day!!!
    :D :D :D

11. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I like to think of God as an indifferent Creator...he just made the world/universe/what have you...and he's left us to fend for ourselves, more or less.

Its a bit more involved than that, but this suffices to explain my stand on the whole "If God exists, he will save me" thing...I mean, God was probably laughing his head off at this idiot... :p

12. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Actually, Faraaz, it pretty much states in the bible that when Adam and Eve ate apples, God threw them out and said: "Do what you want, I'm not going to protect you any more." So it goes pretty well together with your theory; God isn't going to protect everyone from getting killed.

As for me, I'm not really a devout christian, and christian only because I haven't had the time to divorce from churh.
    I've just decided that there's too much possibilities in this, and it's better neither to approve or disagree with any of them. If someone proves it, I believe in it. Till that, thought, I won't give my whole support to any choices. God may exist or not, and we can't know that for sure.

As for science, then, I'm just going to say you can't prove something doesn't exist with it. And neither are any theories ultimately correct till they have been tested.
    Take speed of light, for example. Sure, it's been calculated, and may very well be right that nothing, save light, could move at that speed, but it hasn't been proved really, not in practice.
    Sure, many things have been accomplished with science, medicines for example, but so have been also with religions.

13. Dengo Gems: 8/31

Veteran

You cannot prove something that is above our physical laws using these laws. We aren't discussing about some human that is made of atoms, we're discussing about God who has created world with living and nonliving things and these physical laws. Physical laws don't apply to him, these laws only apply to these things he created.

What i wrote above about God aren't my thoughts, these are generally Muslims' view of God(Allah). I think Christians think of God similar to what i wrote too.

I don't say God exists and you're wrong. Just your way of trying to prove your idea is wrong. You are trying to prove some supernatural being's nonexistent using physical laws. ;)

14. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Not to mention that trying to prove a negative is a rather foolhardy endeavor in the first place.

15. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

Indeed Fel, good point there.

16. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

What makes you think that anything is "above" the physical laws? Again, if there is no solid proof, you can't make assumptions about it. Not, at least, if you want them to have any credibility. Otherwise it's just about purple and yellow violin-elephants, since the lack of evidence does not mean it is "unproven." Rather, it suggests that there is nothing to examine. To assume otherwise would be just plain illogical.

Anyway, I'll stop wasting my breath now, as I have said what I wanted to say and reasoning leads nowhere in matters like this. Guess religions are more about feelings and/or ethics...

[ August 26, 2006, 17:56: Message edited by: Wordplay ]

17. Dengo Gems: 8/31

Veteran

We have a problem in communication i think. The whole universe including its physical laws are created by God and you expect God to be proven with those laws. God is above these rules because he created them for this universe we're living in.

BTW this may seem funny but i don't believe in God too. All I'm saying is your way of proving is wrong. I've seen lots of discussions between Atheists and Muslims in my life. And IMO the most unsuccessful Atheists in these discussions were the ones who were saying only "there should be solid proof of God" and repeating this like a parrot. ;)

And of course Muslims laugh at them for trying to prove that God (Allah) doesn't exist using the laws God created.

18. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Likewise, I could scorn their blind belief on something that gives no signs of being in existence. Like I said: religions seem to be more about feelings than anything, so maybe discussions about it on boards, where you cannot appeal to emotions, are 'doomed' to fail.

19. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

Dark matter cannot be proven, and yet plenty of people believe in it. Likewise, there has only been text about, say, black holes, but no solid evidence. Only theories and claims. I'm not saying that they would not exist, but claiming that god doesn't exist because science can't give facts about it is like an atom saying, should it be able to say anything or think, that humans don't exist since it doesn't have proof of such.

As such, I'm still claiming that if there was creator so great that it made the world with seemingly intermediate effort, then I would say it could easily, should it wish to do so, remain undetected to our obsoletely stupid and incredibly, cruealy primitive means. It's like an ant saying that, because it can't smell or see such, no human exists. It's means just aren't developed enough to detect one since the one is fifteen meters away, sitting on a slippery rock that no ant can examine.
    I'm not saying there is a god, but I'm saying that if there was, surely science would be fragile argument against something that could undo all life should it wish so, and create new one to replace it.

And as such, god either exists or it doesn't, but we certainly can't disprove such things, and neither we can completely prove it.

20. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Nit-picking here, but scientists have found several black holes. However, since black holes are by nature nothing, they're detected by their effects, such as expanses of totally empty space, gravitational lensing, and the twin streams of energy that eminate from one that's "feeding" off of a star.

Back to the debate! If God exists outside our laws and has no influence over us, what the hell does it matter anyway if he exists or doesn't?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.