1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Man tests God but gets eaten by lions

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Clixby, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Something from the Strange Deaths column of the Fortean Times.
    A link to a version of the story on a news site here .

[ August 23, 2006, 09:45: Message edited by: Beren ]

2. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Daniel did better in his lion's pit...

3. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Perhaps the lions were praying for food, and God gave them the moron. :lol:

4. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    God helps those who help themselves.

I don't see how deliberately getting into the lion pen is helping yourself...

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Well, now it has been scientifically tested that there is no God. Anyone else want to test their belief? :)

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Refering to the lioness maybe?

7. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Bwahaha! :D
    To me it's just proof that gods (was he praying to God or Allah?) don't let it happen that people make stooges of them. God helps those in need, not those who put themselves in a dangerous situation willingly.
    God probably also thought "There was a warning sign that sayd these animals are dangerous, you dimwit! And they are kept in a pit, for My sake. Doesn't that ring any bells?"

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    A priest goes through the savannah and sees a lion. "Dear lord, please save your servant from the claws of the beast!" The lion sees the priest. "Dear lord, bless this meal that we'll be having." :p :D

9. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Why oon Earth would God have saved him? he foolishly did something really stupid. Now why oh why would he deserve saving?

10. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Because he is supposed to be almighty and benevolent? On the other hand, why should he save anyone from cancer, bullet, or some silly accident (like jumping into a cage full of lions)? If he can't save a loyal man from lions, he can hardly save anyone else, and thus he can't be almighty. Since he isn't almighty, why people keep praying for a normal fellow who has most likely kicked the bucket a few milleniums ago?

See? Scientifically fool-proof reasoning. There is no almighty god. ;)

11. theGodless Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Media:
    Mwuhahaha. How deliciously ironic :evil:
    There's a candidate for the Darwin award, if ever there was one.

12. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

This is turning into AoDA material...

I second Wirhe's opinion, however.

13. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    "If". That doesn't sound like he had too much faith.
    And as I said before, you can't make a stooge of God (this English translation is less close to what I mean than it is in Dutch). You can't use God for your own stupid goals. God can do extraordinairy things, but I never heard He did such a thing for people who were being so foolish as this man. He usually does such a thing when He asks us to do it. He will help you when you're asked to do the nearly impossible or when you are in need (most often, actually, but that's just how we see it.)

Edit: Clixby chose his thread's name correctly: man tests God ...

[ August 23, 2006, 12:23: Message edited by: Master of Nuhn ]

14. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

The question is which god are we talking about here ? If it's Seth, i'm sure he is most pleased by this sacrifice and he probably got a good chuckle out of it. :shake:

15. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Oh dear, here comes to AoDA.

So rather than this being proof that God doesn't exist it is proof that he DOES exist since he didn't save the person?

So the only time when he will save a believer is when they are forced into a life or death situation not of their choosing? Therefore every time a devout Christian dies it's their own fault. Therefore its a suicide. Therefore no Christian will ever go to heaven since suicide is a one-way ticket to hell... right?

I'm failing to see the perks of Christianity.

16. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It's proof God (or whatever creation theory you believe in) create an idiot and this is the sure-fire way of getting rid of said idiot. :lol:

Upon reading the article, I'd say God did help him by letting him use a rope.

17. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

AoDa this, AoDa that; forget it. No need to encourage the mods. I'm sure they will be happy enough to bite in like angry little terriers even without any help. :shake:

So a man who asks "if" is not a true believer and deserves to be eaten by the lions? Okay, I'm an atheist, but that sounds awfully wicked no matter how you twist it. :nuts:

Besides, if the fellow up-stairs can do extraordinary things, why not save that man? It's not like it's too much of a bugger and He certainly shouldn't think himself too "high and mighty" to save one life. Unless you claim that this god is lazy, arrogant, demanding, and too unsecure to show himself? Hmm?

Laughs at the reverse-logic, by the way. "Proof that he DOES exist by letting him use the rope." Right. :lol:

18. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Actually...that wouldn't kill him instantly. He would just bleed to death fairly quickly... :skeptic:

Anyone with any biology history will tell you that while he probably died fairly quickly, he most certainly had time to think, "Oh F***! What have I gotten myself in to? Hey! Check that out...I've got blood squirting several feet from my neck...whoa...I'm...getting...dizzy....." :bad:

Besides, in the religion I was raised in, people that commit suicide go to hell (since it is murder of one's self), and feeding yourself to a hungry pack of lions is pure suicide... :bad: :rolling:

19. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    Eh? I didn't think I ever said that. In fact, it doesn't proof anything. I can't proof that God exists, and surely not with this story.

The longer alinea: That is what I call a 'sophism'. All you said in that alinea was (excuse moi) utter rubbish. To me at least. It seems to me you're making the wrong conclusions, and a bit too fast as well. I fail to see the logic every time you used the word 'therefore'. No hard feelings, I just don't agree. Let me try to explain...
    Often (<--I used that word before) God would help one who is forced into a life or death situation not of his choosing. That doesn't say that only those in such situations are helped. That either doesn't say that God lets every devout christian live on for ever. He decides when my time has come. 'Therefore' it's not allways our fault that we die.
    My father was a devout christian and had a terrible, lifelong heart- and lung-disease and he died. That was not his fault. He didn't even ask for it. It was Gods decision to take him away. It was not suicide. (And I can't say that suicide is a one-way ticket to hell, as well, btw. To me, it doesn't seem quite the right way to enjoy an eternal life with God. Luckily, it is Jesus who decides who can enter and not me.)
    No wonder. I'd fail to see the perks in anything if I would be reasoning that way. ;) [pun]

I see several others have posted in the mean time. Proof that I'm even worse a debater than in Dutch.

Let's have a look what the man said. "God will save me, if he exists" Now doesn't that strike you as somewhat doubtful? "If he exists".
    My fault here is that I only quoted "if". I put the if he exists in 'bold' though, so that might have given away an idea of what I meant to say.
    It sounds awfully wicked the way you interpret it. What we deserve is a complete different matter, btw.

Actually, He is that high and mighty, and yet He saved many lives. *I* am sure of that.
    I don't know. To understand God, I must be Him. And I'm obviously not. One day, I will, though. And that's when I'm dead (whether that's my own fault or not :p ). I don't know what God's plans are, but I know enough to see what I need to live with Him.
    Correct me if I interpret that 'word' wrongly, but you sound rather arrogant and demanding... :D

If God asks you to do something that seems to be stupid, He will help you succeed, else He wouldn't ask, I guess.
    If you do something stupid, there's no guarantee that He will help you, I guess. Everybody knows that acting agressively to a dangerous predator is a bad idea. And God never asked us to do that. He could have saved the man, yes, but why should He? He is not someone to be toyed with. Just stay out of danger, if possible.

[edit] Wow. This is probably the longest post I ever put on the boards [/edit]

[ August 23, 2006, 12:23: Message edited by: Master of Nuhn ]

20. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Just a great big jumble of chaos to me. God does as He wills because He wills it and stuff the little man who wants help from the Big Man.

So he 'might' help you considering you aren't throwing yourself before the lions? Again it's down to the old problem, when did God save somebody or when was somebody saved by random chance? Ask a Christian and ask a non-Christian and the answer will often be the exact opposite, the Christian will say God saved and the non-Christian will say random luck.

As for the conclusions I was making it does make alot of assumptions assuming that God is constant in his actions. The argument is that God didn't save that man because he dared test God and he put himself in the situation that he would be killed. So it can be assumed that if that is NOT the case then God will save somebody who is devout and in a life/death situation that they did not put themselves in. If God doesn't save said devout person the question that must be asked is "Why not?" and you actually answered that question before when talking about your deceased father
    Again one must ask "Why did he make this decision?" and the answer is
    So God sounds like some 4 year old next to an anthill with a magnifying glass. Because the exact same thing will be going through that ant's mind when that big nasty bright beam of searing hot death absorbs its corpse "Why'd he do that?" the answer: "Because he felt like it."

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.