1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Making Music

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Dice, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I was curious if any members here have ever tried a hand at making their own music? I've played around with a few sound programs but I'm not very good. I think the process is very intriguing.

2. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Do you mean music as in band music or electronic computer-style music? I have experience with the former but not the latter.

3. Dice

Media:
    Any kind of music if it opens the topic up more :).

4. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've played 'cello in an orchestra and taught it. I've also taught Sopranino, Descant, Alto, Tenor and Bass recorder and learned to play the Piano and Bass Guitar but I've never mastered sound programmes at all. It just doesn't make sense to me at all for some reason.
    In a way I think it's a bit like driving a car in a computer game; you may have a steering wheel controller to make it more real but you can't feel the different pressures and vibrations. Not sure if that makes any sense as an analogy but it's the only way I could describe it!

5. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Women have all the advantages ... :shame:

Silvery and Dice seem to be multi-talented, creatively.

6. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

I certainly don't have the talents of Silvery but i've been in and out of bands for a number of years. I've had my share of vocal lessons and i'm an okay singer, but my real passion and talent (IMO) is in song writing. A friend of mine and I have always been co-vocalists in all our bands and when we write together it always comes out way better than if either of us did it alone. I've written a number of songs i'm quite proud of across multiple genres (even a dragonforce-style DnD song :D), it's a really great feeling when you get a piece done that you enjoy and it ends up sounding good when it's played. Unfortunately bands attract fevered egos like no other and it's nigh-impossible to get kids my age to stick it out and do what's in the best interest of the band, so unfortunately i'm band-less right now. :(

7. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I've played drums and guitar for years. I know there are a number of other drummers on this site as well - DR and Splungle who I know of, maybe there are more. All the song writing I do is on guitar and it's blues-rock type stuff. I love the blues and most of my playing is grounded in it. But I strated playing drums in school and I played in Drum & Bugle corp, marching band, rock bands and I taught drums as well.

8. Dice

Media:
    @ damedog - even if you don't have a band right now you can keep writing and creating your songs. It's good to have a new stock of work when you do manage to pull together a group.

@Chandos - nothing like a good beat :D

@Silvery - Sounds like you are a very skilled woman.

9. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I've written quite a lot of music in my day, everything from rock music, heavy metal, folk, contempory, jazz and even orchestral and choral pieces.

For a number of years I thought that writing and performing music would become my carreer, but, the river's current ultimately washed me down a different path.

I really don't write much at all any more. I keep hoping that one of these days I'll have more time to get back into it.

10. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I have FL Studio and I'm not afraid to use it. *da-dah!*

In general I stick to DJing but I've sslowly thought about starting something on my own.just like every other scene DJ these days. XD

11. Gaear

Media:
    Get your Fruity Loops on, Ara. ;)

@Marceror, ever record anything?

12. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    @Gaear

Yeah, I used to spend a lot of time in recording studios. I've been involved in everything from small projects to full scale CD projects. I served as producer on a couple of those CD projects. I definitely miss those days.

13. Gaear

Media:
    Anything available online that we could have a listen to?

14. Marceror

Media:
    Actually, I don't have anything up on the web anywhere. I was doing my thing prior to the Myspace/Youtube era. Maybe I'll put a couple of samples up when I have time, if you're interested.

15. Gaear

Media:
    Sure, that would be cool. If you don't want to put it up for all to see (and ignore - or imply indifference or how much you suck, lol), you can just PM me.

16. Thunderwing Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I play drums in a punk band for a few years now, lots of fun playing some old punk like The Exploited, Black Flag, Bad Brains, The Ramones. I also briefly played some death metal with a friend of mine, it was fun but it's not really my style of music.

I need a new drum set, though, mine is showing it's age big time!

17. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'd love to play the drums but I don't think my husband would approve!

18. Hugin Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

hey

I've been composing, playing and recording and performing all kinds of rock and heavy music.

My main instrument is guitar, but i also played drums, bas, keys and I've been a lead singer in various bands.

Right now i am member of two bands. A Hardrock band, and a very ambient folk rock band.

I like almost any kind of music, i'm not a big fan of reggae and techno though.

Fruity loops is a good program, also for multitrack recording i use the good old CoolEdit ...

Nice to see so many other music people here :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.