1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Magician gear

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Stardust, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Stardust Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Since AD&D was launched my class of chioce has been sorcerer and before that I played wizard (or mage as it was named back in the glory days of pen 'n' papper).

I have played BG2 quite a lot but one thing that I feel is a bit lacking is the arsenal of equipment for casters. When the melee get super-weapons from ToB the arcane casters get nothing.

In my oppinion the only "really good" items that casters get are robe of vecna, amulet of power and staff of the magi and all of them are from SoA.

So i wounder if anybody know about some mod that solves this "balancing problem".

2. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

There's the Circlet of Nethril you have Cespenar put together. With this, Vecna's robe, ammy of power and SotM, and his/her spellbook, what more does a mage need? Boots of speed maybe?

3. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Wait. You...think that...those aren't enough?

The only possible complaint is that you can only turn -one- sorcerer into a hell-lich-powered death machine. A sorcerer wearing those three items is orders of magnitude more powerful than any melee character in TOB...more powerful than 3 or 4 of them combined.

Besides, even without those items...the power is in the spells, not the gear.

4. Stardust Gems: 7/31

I did't not complain about the power of the items. The quantity my point was that there were to few items, the gap are huge between the few uber items and the others that exsist.

edit: I forgot the circlet :o

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31

What items do you want then?

What kind of power do you think your mage is lacking that an item can make up for?

6. Stardust Gems: 7/31

I would like casters to have many items much like a figther has, perhaps a chioce between robe of vecna and another robe wich will benefit something else maybe the wizards survivability for example.

What i would like is a choice not just a few good items have you ever thought should i use item X staff of the magi?

What I want is not items better than the existing items rather sligthely worse or equal but in a diffrent way.

[ August 15, 2006, 14:50: Message edited by: Stardust ]

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Let me dredge my memory. I had a party with Tsujatha (NCP mod Necromancer from Chosen of Mystra modding site) and Kelsey (NCP Sorcerer from Pocket Plane Group modding site). Outfitting them was a bit touchy as I usually have a multiclass mage.

Tsujatha's equipment:
    Robe of Vecna
    SotM
    Boots of Speed
    Ring of Wizardry
    White ioun stone
    Improved cloak of protection +2

Kelsey's equpiment:
    Cloak of the Good Arch Magi
    Staff of the Ram
    Boots of Speed
    Circlet of Nethril
    Ring of Acuity
    Ring of Protection +2
    Amulet of Metaspell Influence
    Kelsey's cloak (improved)

I didn't find much lacking for mages myself.

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

You need mods!

Hmm...there is a very good robe, with nice defensive abilities in Improved Sarevok fight in Hell tests. It was from Improved Battles.

You love mages? Then you will love Improved Planar Sphere mod! that mod inroduces tons of new and cool spells, new and cool (and over powered) items, such as Vecna's eye, cloak, a god-like powerful sorcerer's items, etc. You will also have to save the universe from eternal damnation. The mod is cool and a serious change. Maybe a bit too overpowered, the battles are very hard, and...too rewarding. Definitely try it, but beware, I have to uninstall it as it made my party far too powerful for my liking in the end. (by all those items, spells, and a few bonus million XP) but it is definitely worth a try, it was FUN in the first time though. Are you interested?

9. Stardust Gems: 7/31

yeah sounds cool could you perhaps give me some links to where i can download them?

[ August 15, 2006, 20:56: Message edited by: Stardust ]

10. Kip Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Planar Sphere Mod was always one of my favorites. That Dancing spell is quite funny.

11. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
  12. Stardust Gems: 7/31

13. Gregor Gems: 7/31

The Planar Sphere mod as it stands is quite buggy. However, it's being DEbugged by Duality over at Spellhold Studios. I've played through the first redo, and found it much improved, although there were a few NEW bugs that I believe he's ironed out for the most part in his latest release...although he hasn't technically "released" it yet. But I know he's on the lookout for testers, so if you're interested, go to SS and shoot him a post or a PM.

There are a few small but significant changes to the mod, so old-time Planar Sphere players who like it the way it is should approach with caution. Like I said, though, I found it much improved.

Link to Spellhold Studios Mod Resurrection Page

14. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

What bugs? I finished the mod's old version twice, and found no serious bugs. True, the las boss did not want to die for a long time but I thought it was due to the difficulty of the battle. :p Though Vecna giving 500K really sounded like a bug, I edited his CRE file, he gave only 50K xp in the second run.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.