1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

LT and Westbrook

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Blades of Vanatar, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

LT being released is no surprise. The Eagles letting Westbrook go isn't either, though I think alot of the Eagles players won't like that move. Westbrook was a clubhouse leader, as was Brian Dawkins, who they let go last year. Back to back seasons now, the Eagles have let go their leadership. McNabb is the only one left. That's scary. Though I have read that the Eagles could be in a LT bid, which would be atremendous move for them. Since the birds are pass 1st, it could take some burden off LT and get him back into stride. :beer: Here's to hoping for a LT signing in Philly.:beer:

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Why would you want to replace one injury-prone RB in decline with another injury-prone RB in decline? It seems if you want LT, you should have just held onto Westbrook...

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Westbrook is coming off multiple concussions. He's done. LT could still produce. Remember when Marcus Allen left the Raiders, they said he was done to. He had several good seasons with KC. LT is still in great shape and can bring something to the table. Leadership. The Eagles offense needs it with so many young players on the current roster.

4. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

They are both older proven Vets. They will be signed but chances are both are signing their last contracts.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Here's LT's ypc over the last few years: 5.1, 4.6, 3.9, 3.3 - I see a trend that is unlikely to reverse itself. Your comment on Marcus Allen is noted, but he is the exception, not the rule. In a backfield combination as LT and McCoy, the only way I see that working is if McCoy is the primary back, with LT getting somewhere around 10 touches per game.

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Marcus Allen was intentionally held back in Oakland -- Davis didn't like him and wanted to destroy Marcus.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Just saw that the Jets released Thomas Jones - another over 30 running back on the market.

8. Blades of Vanatar

LT wouldn't need to or get 100/game for the Eagles. That offense isn't set up that way. It's his presence that could open up the offense. ESPN Insider had Sproles fitting well with the Eagles yesterday. I didn't see how he could land with the Brids, but those guys speculate on anything and everything. After what I am reading, LT to the Birds will not happen anyway. They even were throing LT to the Lions out there. Never happen. He only wants to go to a Contender. New England would the fit for him. They specialize in getting milage out of older RBs.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I just heard an ESPN report that the Rams and Eagles are in trade talks for McNabb. No details of what the Rams are offering in return yet.

This makes a lot of sense, since the Eagles already announced they are picking up Vick's option, which with the roster bonus is worth nearly $5 million. That's an absurd amount of money if you're a 3rd string QB, even in a year where there is no salary cap. My guess is that they're going to move McNabb, Kolb becomes the starter, and Vick moves into the backup roll.

Given McNabb's age, I doubt the Eagles will get a first round pick for him. I would imagine that the Rams would offer them their 2nd round pick. However, the Rams finished with the worst overall record last year, and so pick 1st. Their 2nd round pick is 33rd overall, which is still a very high pick, and if I were the Eagles I'd take that in a heartbeat. (Assuming you are convinced that Kolb can handle the starting job that is.)

10. Blades of Vanatar

Kolb showed signs, so it could be a good move, but not for this year, just the future. The Eagles are close every year to making it to the SB. They still are. Trading Donovan will not be a step toward that goal this year. Reid has been very lucky having a QB that gets his system. I think the Eagles will realize that once McNabb is gone, how much he really meant to that offense. Whenever he goes down, they struggle against good teams. Their talent pool is not very high at the skilled postions, especially with Westbrook out of the picture. I hope they don't trade him. IMO, they will be a .500 team if they do. Especially playing in the NFC East.

On another note, Vick had some nice comments on a Radio show down south yesterday, saying if he had any team to choose from, it would be Carolina, so he could play Atlanta twice.

11. Blades of Vanatar

Looks like LT is seriously looking at the Vikes. Don't really get that signing if it happens, they already have AP. :confused:

12. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

LT has great hands and AP not so. LT also wants to go to a playoff team like the Vikings.

13. Blades of Vanatar

But does LT want to be a backup to AP? He wants money and playing time as well, not just a ring. He won't get the playing time he wants in Minne. NE would be a better fit, so would the Jets.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well, he signed with the Jets. GIven the productivity they got from Thomas Jones last year, I have to wonder why they didn't just keep Jones. Jones is more money than LT, but there's no cap this year...

15. Blades of Vanatar

Yep, saw it yesterday. LT as a Jet? After playing in beautiful SD, why move to the dreary land of the Jets with crappy QB behind you?

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Obviously, I agree. LT is clearly in decline. While he may be able to help a team when he isn't the primary RB, the Jets already had an aging RB who did not appear to be in nearly the decline as LT. In fact, Jones had a pretty damn good year for the Jets in 2009! If I'm the Jets GM, and my options are Tomlinson at a discount or overpaying for Jones, in a year where there's no salary cap, there's no question that I want Jones.

17. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

LT is going to be there 3rd down back and a mentor to Shonne Green the new starting RB for the Jets.

18. Blades of Vanatar

We'll see about that. Will Greene be able to carry the load? Will LT sit the bench on most plays and like it or get vocal about it when they are losing?

19. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

A few things to look at about LT signing with the Jets.

He wanted an organization that wants to win and has a proven QB. Schanez isn't truly a proven QB but he is the Jets starter where as the Viking they don't know if Favre will play or not in 2010/2011 year.

Another thing - the Jets have the best OL in the league. The Chargers OL was on the decline and so is the Vikings.

If anything we may see LT numbers go from 3.3 yards a carry to 3.9-4.1 yards a carry this year. After this year I think he might as well retire.

It also would not surprise me to see him have one more career year and call it quit. I believe he has what it take to produce T. Jones like numbers behind the OL the Jets have.

20. Blades of Vanatar

The Vikes do have a declining O-Line. But it will improve this off-season. Favre will only comeback if it does. And he won't commit until they actually make the moves. He was battered badly in the NFC championship game and I'm certain that will be a big factor in his decision to comeback. I see why LT didn't sign there. But I don't see him putting up T.J. numbers as he won't get the carries. His ypc should improve, but not if he is the #1, only if he is the #2. And your right, the Jets do have the best O-line and the best Coordinator in the NFL when it comes to designing the run game, Callahan. With all of that in place, LT will be able to add one more year onto his career, but they won't win a SB with Sanchez at the helm. Especially in a conference with Peyton, Brady and Big Ben still leading their teams.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.