1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lower Ability Scores

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Blackthorne TA, Jan 22, 2001.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I just noticed in the NWN FAQ that they're using the Standard Point Buy system from 3rd Ed. for the ability scores. I guess we won't be seeing the high scores we're used to from BG, BG2 and IWD! :)

For those that don't know here's how it works (at least in the DM Guide). All stats start at 8 and you have 25 points to spread out among them. Up to 14 it's a 1 for 1 relationship; after that its 2 for 1.

2. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The thing you have to remember is that stats in 3E mean more at a lower level then in 2E. When did a 11 STR do anything in 2E in 3E you get a +1! a DEX of 13 means nothing in 2E but give you a +2 to AC and reaction in 3E. For example let's look at my 3E ranger to see how 3E match up with 2E.

Stat 3E bonus 2E
    STR 14 +2 18
    DEX 13 +2 16
    CON 13 +2 16
    INT 10 +0 10
    WIS 13 +2 14
    CHR 10 +0 10

Not bad stats for 2E? I would be happy.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh, I wasn't saying that was necessarily a bad thing... Just different. You also get to increase an ability score by one every 4 levels which is nice. Spell casters do need a 19 in their corresponding ability score in order to cast the level 9 spells though (ability score needed is 10+spell level).

Speaking about the core rules of course; I don't know how much NWN will implement...

I hope you plan on increasing your wisdom by one so you can cast your 4th level Ranger spells! :)

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited January 23, 2001).]

4. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Uh... a 13 is not a +2 mod...

10-11= +0
    12-13= +1
    14-15= +2
    etc...

Unless my core texts are somehow extremely misprinted...

Amon-Ra

5. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] As I understand it the jury's still out on whether ALFA will incorporate 25pts or 28pts or even something else.
    Has anybody played much 3rd edition to say if stats are really less important?

6. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Amon-Ra, I stand corrected. I messed that up for some reason. But still 3E stats are lower better. I looked at the mod on my sheet and blanked on the fact that I've uped some of those 13 to 14 now that I'm 8th level.
    In reference to the 'Do stats matter?' yes they do, but lower stats mean more. I takes a little getting use to but monster also have the advantages of low stat improvement. I learned that the first time a orc cleaved my character!

7. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Voltric: it's all good.
    Erran: yes I have, and lower stats are worth alot more. A 3E 14 is worth much more than a 2E 14. Thus a base 8, +25/+28 is fine.

Consider a fighter at +28:

16 Strength
    12 Dexterity
    16 Constitution
    10 Intelligence
    10 Wisdom
    8 Charisma

Not bad at all.
    +3 to hit, +3 to damage
    +1 dodge to AC
    +3 hp/level
    avg int.
    avg wis.
    -1 charisma... (travel with a good looking female, and let her buy everything)

Amon-Ra

8. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I play 3rd ed. D&D with Amon-Ra and I have to agree. A 16 (+3) in any stat is pretty damn good. I like the equal opportunity better than the 2nd ed. stats. What was with the extraordimary strength? That was pretty lame. My Sorcerer has a 16 in Con; therefore, he gets 1d4 + 3 HP every level.

9. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Can you choose the character you want? If someone wanted to play....Say, a paladin, for instance :D - Can you play one? Or do you have to make a pc based on what you roll?

I haven't seen any of the 3ed rules, so I have no clue - I'm thinking maybe I should buy them.

~Bel

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Well, from what I understand, there will be no "roll"; just the point buy I outlined at the top.

As for minimum stats for a Paladin, I'm not sure there are any in 3rd Ed. I'd have to check... If nobody responds before tonight, I'll take a look and let you know...

11. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] Thanks BTA! Like I said...I have no clue about the 3ed and the changes...I was still thinking from the racial and class minimums point o' view.

I am definitely getting into the the NWN hype...Especially ALFA...It sounds fun!

12. Erran Gems: 19/31

If you want a sneaky peek of what your character might be like under 3rd edition, check out www.wizards.com then electronic media then master tools. A 10 Mb download alows you to roll all the major classes. Keep your points to 25. A 16 in 3rd ed. is ~ an 18 in 2nd (I said approx. before all the rules lawyers pounce on my back!)

13. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    OK Bel here's the scoop (according to the 3rd Ed rules):

No class or ability score restrictions, but charisma and wisdom are very important.

You need a wisdom score of 10 + the spell level to cast a given spell (Paladin spells go up to 4th level). The Difficulty Class for the spell (how hard it is to make a save against it) depends on your wisdom modifier as well.

Your charisma modifier determines the strength of many of your special abilities:

How many hit points you can heal or harm per day using your Lay on Hands ability.

Your attack roll for your Smite Evil ability.

How many times a day you can use your Turn Undead ability.

Hope that helps! :)

14. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] Thanks BTA! It sounds like the ability score have a closer corrolation with the characters abilities in 3ed...That's pretty nice.

I think I'm going to have to invest in the books...It sounds like the changes made were pretty good! It sounds tougher, but more realistic.

15. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Well, if you don't mind online book buying then support your local Sorcerer by buying through here:
    www.sorcerers.net/Books/index_man.php

You'll need to click on each of the books that you want from there so Sorcerer gets the credit...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
  16. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] Anything to help the cause! Thanks BTA!

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yea, thanks to both of you. ;)

18. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] I placed the order this mrning via the sorcerer link...I'll have to remember to do that whenever I buy something on Amazon...

19. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Any time you're not buying books, or buying books that I don't have direct links to, simply click on any of the amazon.com or co.uk (if you're from GB) ads on the site. They'll all take you to the front pages of those stores and you'll be shopping same as usual, the only difference being I'll get some credit for it.
    Thanks.

20. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I hope you plan on getting all three core-rulebooks. It is possible to play with only the PHB, but quite difficult. All the books are definately worth it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.