1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

LOTR Book Trivia

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Findae Darkblade, Apr 11, 2005.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Name the three queens that actually ruled Numenor (as opposed to being the King's wife).

2. Findae Darkblade Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Tar-Ancalime, Tar-Telperien, and Tar-Vanimelde. Altough, technically, Miriel was one as well, but she was forced to marry.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Go ahead.

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Does this one have am IJ clause?

5. Findae Darkblade Gems: 2/31

Oops. Sorry I took so long guys. I'm on a homeleave for my boarding academy and couldn't get on. Next question: Give two names that Aragorn took on at his coronation.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Two? I only know Elessar.

7. Findae Darkblade Gems: 2/31

Heh. That's one. See if you can find the other.

8. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Telcontar?

9. khazadman Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Yep. Telcontar is Quenya for strider. It does sound better than the Common name.
    My question isn't too hard for any one who has read the Lord of the Rings. What is the name of the first king to rule the Dwarven line of Durin who did not have the name Durin, and how long did he reign?

10. Arendil Gems: 6/31

Hmmm....I thought it's Beren's turn.
    But answer to last one is "Nain I" I guess...149 years or so...

11. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'll but in with my question ... :)

How did the last official king of Arnor die? (before Aragorn that is)

12. Arendil Gems: 6/31

Tough one...you mean Arvedui ? Drowned I guess...or was he frozen with his ship ? Not sure...

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Killed by the witch-king?

14. Beren

Media:
    You both provided parts of the answer. The ice storm was caused by the Witch-king, leaving his ship frozen and stranded. I'll give it to Arendil since he was more descriptive, and answered first. ;)

15. Arendil Gems: 6/31

So...Tolkien sometimes uses same name for someone or something in Silmarillion and in LotR. Give me three examples...with description.

16. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I don't understand the question.Do you ask for the characters who is mentioned in both LOTR and Silmarillion?

17. Arendil Gems: 6/31

No, I mean using same name for different characters, things, whatever. This is not trivial question.

18. Beren

Media:
    Nimrodel - Name for both the stream that ran through Lothlorien, and the elf-maiden who was the lover of Lothlorien's previous ruler, Amroth.

Fangorn - The name of the forest that Merry and Pippin venture into, but also the shortened true name of Treebeard.

Finduilas - Was the name of the elf-maiden that Turin failed to rescue due to Glaurung's deception, and the name of Denethor's wife, who died early due to depression from removal from her home by the sea and a cold relationship with Denethor. Rather poetic on Tolkien's part to use the same name for both ladies whose deaths can be attributed to love unrequited.

[ April 24, 2005, 02:42: Message edited by: Beren ]

19. Arendil Gems: 6/31

Correct...and for those who are wondering...there are many more such double names...my examples were Grond, Gothmog, and Minas Tirith.
    So it's again your turn Beren.

One thing...there is an elf named Glorfindel that died when Gondolin was destroyed, but there is also one Glorfindel in Fellowship of the Ring. They are very similar...I was always wondering whether that was Tolkien's mistake and if this is the same person...

20. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

@ Arendil They aren't the same person and it isn't a mistake. Just the using of the same name.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.