1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

LOTR Book Trivia

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Findae Darkblade, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I was under the impression thast "Ulaire" simply meant 'ringwraith' in Quenya...

And I've been going over all the monsters Bilbo encountered and all that I came up with was 'troll' - but surely troll isn't just a reference to The Hobbit (especially seeing how different Middle Earth trolls are from D&D ones...) --- or dragon, but I'm sure we can eliminate that one from being it...

Uh ... giant spiders? :p

*crawls back into his hole*

2. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Is it dragonman.The dragonmen of far east.

3. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Worg? Warg?

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Aha. I'm glad this one was a bit tricky. None of you have got it yet. Aikanaro is the closest so far to the type of monster.

Every time I see this D&D monster's name, I think of Bilbo. It's not trolls or dragons because those are pretty common names. This is a name I have only ever heard of in D&D (and from Bilbo).

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Ettercap?

6. Argohir Gems: 10/31

Stone giants?

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

JSBB is right!

In The Hobbit, Bilbo calls the spiders "Attercops" - a strange word that I have never heard anywhere else.

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I gather that attercop was an old or middle English term for spider.

O.K. - One of the three trolls that Bilbo encountered had a last name - what was it?

9. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

it's name was hugger (at least on danish) bill hugger. come to think of it, it might be cutter on english, but I only have the hobbit on danish.

and attercop is old english or rather old danish/nordish for spider. on danish a spider is called edderkop to day

10. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

His name was Bill Huggins ;)

11. JSBB Gems: 31/31

William/Bill Huggins was his English name - I have no idea what it would have been in Danish.

12. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

honestly I cant understand why they changed it to hugger from huggins, well probably because "er" is the normal ending on Danish while "ings" is normal on English.

So I guess it's Lynadins turn (damn Danish translation ;) )

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

tsk, if its a correct translation shouldn't it be equester's turn considering changes in translation? :p

14. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Yes, I think it should go to Equester for answering his own style... :D

15. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

fair enough :) .

Then what is Gimli's dwarven battlecry?

16. JSBB Gems: 31/31

The English translation is Axes of the Dwarves, the Dwarves are upon you. I think the Dwarven line was something like Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Chakka Shok! Chakka Cor!

Oh, wait, that was the Dwarves of Mithgar not Middle Earth... :lol:

18. Arifirh Gems: 10/31

"All orcs into an orderly line, I'm running out of throwing axes. Tall folk at the back."

19. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

I knew it was a softy, but damn that was fast. JSBB is of cause right.

20. JSBB Gems: 31/31

O.K. - here is a nice softy. What was the final score between Gimli and Legolas at Helm's Deep?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.