1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lord of the Rings

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Sniper, Apr 12, 2001.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Don't know about the sword, but you (and many others) have certainly spelled Aragorn's name wrong often in this topic. :rolleyes:

2. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] I am or better I was a little bit possessed from this book. I read it 4 times in german and twice in english (the last time 'bout 15 years ago) have most of the secundary literature (maps, almanachs etc), own (=did not read all) almost everything Tolkien or his sons made public, did my final exams in english on it......

fav char Gandalf
    fav scene Sam defeating the huge spider

3. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Ahh, the memories.

It is without doubt my all time fave book. I read it first time at about 12 and have re-read it once every 2/3 years since. (Makes quite a few times by now.....) Reminds me that it's now at least 3 years since last time, so must dig it out again.

Lots of good characters, but particularly like the Ents - Treebeard rocks! Ho-hum. Sam and Merry are excellent too.

Favourite passage - Sam's searching for, finding and rescuing Frodo from the Orcs in the tower.

My only real criticism of the book is that it's too short. Always seem to leave a void when I've finished it.

[This message has been edited by Viking (edited April 17, 2001).]

4. Voltric Gems: 19/31

I agree about the book being to short. As far as a favorite battle I'd have to say the battle of Helm's Deep but all of book 5 was great.

5. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Hey Egg! I'm not trying to be a smart-ass here, but wouldn't you mean the Balrog?

Favorite character: Gimli

Favorite scene: Aragorn riding through the dead city.

6. stormguard Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

fav char = sam gamgee

fav bit = the whole lot

7. The Wise The Grey Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

My favorite character was Gimli too, I just love that stubborn dwarven pride. Though Gandalf provides some heated competition.

My favorite part would probably be the whole Battle of Helm's Deep - storming of Saruman's tower part.

And yes, the Dunedain were of Numenorean descent.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well Tolkien himself complained in the preface about the book being too short, so there you go...

I especially missed the part where the army of the undead came marching in without enough background on how they captured all those ships. I don't remember the details, but it seemed to be all explained in like half a page when it could have been explained much more thoroughly. I liked the shudder when reading about all the undead. Actually made me feel uncomfortable.

9. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Fav Character: Theoden or Boromir

Fav Battle: Helm's Deep or Theoden's Charge!

Fav chick: Eowyn or Goldberry

Fav Horse: Shadowfax

Fav Ent: Quickbeam

Fav part of book: The Healing of Theoden or the Council of Elrond

Fav tavern: The Prancing Pony

Fav enemy: oliphants

10. caleb Banned

I havent read it yet but I am gonna.I wanted to know where the hobbit fits in with lord of the rings.Is it a prequel or is it after lord of the rings?

11. stormguard Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

read hobbit first helps to define some of the charaters.

12. Wingfoot Guest

Narsil is the name of Aragorn's sword.

my favorite characters are Aragorn and Legolas. Legolas was wicked with a bow!

my favorite part was when Galadriel gave a gift to each member of the Company (minus Gandalf) before they left Lorien.

13. Viking Gems: 19/31

The Hobbit preceeds the Lord of The Rings, by about 50/60 years or so. It gives a good background to how the Ring was found, and some good charcter grounding. You should read it first.

I think you're both right about Aragorn's sword; was it not renamed when it was forged anew?

Named Anduril - flame of the west or something like that? It was previously called Narsil.

14. Frog Gems: 12/31

Veteran

Hey hey!! the movie's coming, what do ya think about it?

15. caleb Banned

Good it will save me the trouble of reading that whole series.

16. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31

But using your own imagination is always better than letting somebody chew it up for you.

17. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Fav character- Sam
    Fav bit - Shelob

LoTR was voted best book (not just fantasy book) of the 20th century by UK readers.
    So much of D&D is based on LoTR, including the whole concept of gaining 'experience' and 'levels'
    When Frodo and Sam left the Shire they were 1st level, scared of their own shadows.
    When they returned, they kicked butt!

PS If you cannot be bothered to read it but still want to use your imagination there's a set of ~10 audio tapes from the BBC. Good actors used. I think you can get them thru Amazon.

[This message has been edited by Erran (edited April 19, 2001).]

18. Gwyddyon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

LotR is easily the best trilogy of all time, with 'Return of the King' or 'The Silmarillion' as best book (okay, so TS isn't LotR, who cares!) Of course, I've only read it four times ;) I think I'm about due for a fifth...

Best Character: TREEBEARD! Gollum is a close second followed by a character from 'The Silmarillion', namely Thingol.

Best Battle: Well, it's been said, but definitely Moria. It's the only battle in LotR between two Maiar :)

Best Villain: Gollum! "Yessss, my precious, what has the Bagins got in it's pocketses! GOLLUM!"

And might I add best guest-Deity: Tom Bombadil, aka Aule ;)

19. GONMAR Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I can't believe they are going to leave goodberry and Tom out of the movie...

20. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I read lord of the rings approx 8 times (in german) and once in english, I guess I like it

fav chars: Gandalf (& Glamdring), Aragorn aka Strider (& Anduril) followed by Elrond, Gimli, Legolas and Sam

fav fights: Helm´s deep, siege of Minas Tirith and - of course - the battle of Moria with the final fight of Gandalf and the Balrog

fav villain: Balrog, followed by gollum

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.