1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lord of the Rings Party

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Shrike00, May 7, 2001.

1. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

To Headbanger: What do you mean when you say change the Equalizers nam with SK can you do that?! Please tell me how. thx

2. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I didn't say it's possible with SK but maybe it could be fun when there would be a program that allows you to change the name of a weapon.

3. DarthMuffin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

Ok, Ive read all the thread and the only problem I see is Aragorn. He's not a ranger! During the meeting with Elrond, Boromir insults Aragorn and Legolas reply : "He's no ranger, he's son of *idontrememberhisname*. You owe him respect (or something like that). " I would create him as a fighter or paladin.

4. Tomi Grin Undergallows Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] LOTR and AD&D are two totally diffrent things Gandalf is a pure Wizard, in AD&D that means that he couldn't use a sword but Mr Tolkien does NOT follow AD&D and desided that Gandalf can use a sword...STOP NIT PICKING YOU PERFECTIONISTS

As for Frodo a bard is definatly closest to the mark i think.

5. WoodenTaco Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Gah! I don't see why most people seem to have only seen the movie and not read the book. It's really getting on my nerves. :flaming: :hits the "Rant On" button:

This was far bigger in the movie than the book. Boromir was one of the noblest in the fellowship (only nobler is perhaps Aragorn). Boromir is undoubtedly a paladin.

Gandalf is an Istari, a child of the Valar! He is one of the most powerful beings in all of Middle Earth! He is quite powerful.

In the Tolkeinian world, spells as they are seen in Baldurs Gate simply don't exist in the world. He is very powerful in his life force, not fireballs popping out of nothing.

This is just plain ignorant. Balrogs (not demon-things, thank you.) rival the powers of Dragons. This "demon-thing" surpasses 35 or 40 in BGII levels.

This was simply a tool in the movie to make up for the lack of the letter that Gandalf left behind for Frodo at the Prancing Pony. It did NOT happen in the book. And anyways, what Legolas says is "He is no mere Ranger," not "He is no Ranger."

Whew. :hits the "Rant Off" button.:
    Edit: It's not to say that all of you are bad about it... the above are the worst cases. Headbanger, for example, has shown real knowledge of Arda.

[ August 14, 2002, 00:08: Message edited by: WoodenTaco ]

6. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] OK, I've read the Lord of the Rings more times than I care to count and I draw the following conclusions:

1. Gandalfis a wizard that has taken a couple of levels in fighter (he would need a feat in Martial Weapons for the blade.) When he "dies" and is "reborn" in the Two Towers he may has well be a pure wizard though he still caries that blade. Gandalf the White is so powerful that if he looked at Elminster crosswise the wizard would flee. Gandalf is a "Maia" a person of "Divine Race" as the book Silmarillion indicates or rather supports. So, why doesn't he fling spells around like wizards in BG2? simple answer: he is forbidden to match the power of Sauron with power. I'd guess that the reason that he didn't unleash upon the Balrog is that the creature's nature would have resisted spells. Balrog are servants to Morgoth and for all of you who haven't read the books and draw your "knowledge" of these things from the movie I suggest you read the books before you post about such things.
    2. Aragorn is definitely a ranger, he demonstrates this time and time again in the books. He isn't "lawful" in the slightest but is "neutral good, or true good" and this is demonstrated several times in the books.
    3. Borimir a paladin? hardly, he is too chaotic for that. You may has well say that the Children of the Light (an organization from the Wheel of Time) are paladins while you're at it. A paladin would never use a weapon of ultimate evil to further good if he knew that at any rate. Borimir knew this certainly, if anyone were a paladin I'd have to say that it is his younger brother Farimir, but he's more ranger than anything.

7. Blue Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG]
    First, Aragorn was son of Arathorn, direct descendant of Isildur, who cut the ring of Sauron's finger. Isildur was son of Elendil, who was descendant of Elros, the first Numenorian king, Elrond's brother. Thus, Aragorn was also of elven descent, and related to Elrond. He had also grown up in Rivendell, as Elrond's foster son.

Aragorn was the heir to the throne of Gondor, you might call him a king not yet crowned, although he had chosen to live in exile, as a ranger. Boromir was the son of the steward of Gondor, who was acting as the substitute king, so Boromir might be regarded as a crown prince. Boromir's ancestry was considered as noble as Aragorn's, although not direct descendants of Elendil.

In the book, Elrond's council was very different from in the movie, Boromir didn't insult Aragorn, and Legolas didn't speak to Boromir. There was no indication that either of them knew each other beforehand. And the elves and dwarves didn't have an argument.

In the movie, on the other hand, Legolas' exact words to Boromir were: "He is no mere ranger. He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn, and you owe him your allegiance." (And after that, Aragorn humiliated the proud elf prince in front of everyone by telling him to sit down. ("Havodad, Legolas")) ;)

When talking about noble descent, one mustn't forget Legolas, who was a Sindarin prince, son of king Thranduil of Mirkwood, who Bilbo and the dwarves met in The Hobbit. (The Sindar were the Grey elves, who stayed in Beleriand and never travelled to Valinor in the West (the country of the gods).) Whether he was a crown prince is not known, but I would think not - he must probably have been a younger son, as he was allowed to go with the Fellowship and risk getting killed many times over - besides, he didn't go back to his fathers kingdom afterwards, as a crown prince would have been expected to do, but formed his own elven colony in Ithilien.
    A Balrog was one of the most powerful beings you could come across in Middle Earth. They were the children of Morgoth, who was a Vala. To understand this, one must know the following: The Valar were the gods of Arda (the Earth), and they lived in the land Valinor in the west. Morgoth was the evil Vala, and was expelled from Valinor to live in the north of Arda. The children of the Valar were the Maiar (who might be considered as a kind of demi-gods).

Sauron was a Maia, created originally by the Vala Aulë, who also created the dwarves, but he chose to be the servant of Morgoth. (During the War of Wrath, the elves and the Valar fought Morgoth, and he was defeated and expelled from Arda to the darkness and emptyness beyond. But Sauron was hidden, and later emerged to take over Morgoth's evil work.) The Istari, the wizards, were also children of the Valar, and thus of the same class as the Maiar. Gandalf and Saruman were Istari. Balrogs and dragons, as children of Morgoth, belonged to the same class.

This means that a Balrog was just as powerful as Gandalf or Sauron. When Gandalf fought the Balrog on the bridge of Khazad Dhum, they both had to use all of their powers. At this point, Gandalf's powers had already been drained because he had had a little encounter with the Balrog through a closed door a little earlier. Still, he managed to make the Balrog fall, and though he fell with it, this was no display of weakness, but of power on Gandalf's part. After falling into darkness, Gandalf chased the Balrog out on the cliffs, where they fought until the Balrog plunged to his death. Then he returned reborn as Gandalf the White. He also proved to be more powerful than Saruman, who was considered the most powerful of the Istari. Except for Sauron himself, I would say you couldn't find a more powerful being than Gandalf in whole Middle Earth.

Gandalf did use fire magic, as is mentioned several times in both The Hobbit and LotR.

My impression of Boromir is that he was originally a noble and lawful good character, brought up to be the next steward of Gondor, but his personality became altered when he was influenced by the ring. Before he encountered the ring, he might have been "paladin-like", but whenever the ring influenced him he became chaotic. He was still basically good, however.

[ August 14, 2002, 03:58: Message edited by: Blue ]

8. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Crap, I failed to read the above and repeated what someone else said. Sorry!

[ August 14, 2002, 04:23: Message edited by: Sol'Kanar ]

9. Arathorn Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] How bout Gollum he must have amazing thief skills.
    Galadriel, possibly elven archer, focusing mainly on cleric's abilities?

10. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

1. Boromir was *not* a paladin. Heck, Samwise would be *much* closer to paladin.

2. Tolken started LotR in the early 40's. Therefore D&D does not use the same rules as Tolken. Deal with it.

3. Gandalf would have INT 25 and WIS 25, with his hat giving him +15 on top of that. He could learn new things very rapidly, he knew his physical/mental limits and the limits of the others, and he was calculating variables at least a week in advance. Only the Balrog took him by surprise; all other variables he knew about, and was entering them into the equation. Charisma is arguable either way; he nearly had to slap the hobbit out of Frodo and Bilbo on several occasions.
    4. Some people have read entirely too much Tolken...

11. Sandor the Irrelevant Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Why can't you just use their stats to make some of the characters more realistic? Or just use Shadowkeeper to make some of the older characters a higher level?

Frodo could be a fighter, but with very low str, high dex, average-high con. and start at level 1.

Whereas Aragorn would start out at level 6 or so and, be well balanced in stats (16-18 in most or all of them).

Boromir would have greater strength, but less dex.

You get the idea. You can use the stats to underpower or overpower a given class.

--OH! And apparently I'm forbiden from the Binkster web site with the LotR D&D team. Anyone else have that problem?

[ August 15, 2002, 14:29: Message edited by: Sandor the Irrelevant ]

12. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

You can do the same thing with the console, if you don't want to risk corrupting your saved game.

13. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

and frodo can use the ring of invicibility and ring of human influence... and pretend as they where one... he should be a thief... could date alora in bg1...

aragorn must be a ranger couse he uses the sword and bow(IIRC)...

gimli must be a normal fighter...

plannig on making special items from the ring stories...

who would Legolas have as racial enemy - orcs meaby

[ August 18, 2002, 00:35: Message edited by: Cog Primius ]

14. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I think that someone has been hit with Crom Fayer repeatedly on the head here.
    *inhales*
    *exhales*

I may worship the ground Boromir stands on, but he is no paladin.

He is NOT lawful.

Even a donkey could see that.

"Oh, Frodo, I need this ring of ultimate evil to kill Sauron and be the next Dark Lord."
    *snickers*

Does not sound like a pallie to me.

No offense meant.

Ezellohar Shark, The Fanfiction Writer
    And the one, who cleans Drizzt's scimitars as well.

15. Lionheart 64 Gems: 1/31

Boromir only wants the ring because he has been corrupted by its power.

I'm not saying he is a Paladin, he's definitely a fighter, I don't remember him dedicating his life in service of a god. But he is lawful good in alignment, he just gets corrupted by the power of the ring, read the books, watch the film, the fact that the desire of the ring corrupts everyone is a major part of the story

16. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I'd say Boromir is more Chaotic Neutral. Maybe even Chaotic Good, but he is not lawful.

17. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

As for Balrogs Morgoth did not CREATE them. He merely corrpted(transformed) already existing maia spirits good in the beginning-fire spirits. Balrogs lived as a rase in Morgoth's days and their power was second to dragons. They were mostly quardians and jailors in Angbad(fortress of Morgoth) and Utumno.With the fall of Morgoth (which could notbe destroyed by elves alone Valar helped elves to defeat him - lands of Beleriand sank under the sea ) Balrogs ceased existing as a rase. Some escaped like Durin's Bane = Balrog of Moria.
    They destroyed the hidden kingdom of Gondolin where their commander fell(who destroyed Feanor and rivaled Sauron) to high capitan of Gondolin Ecthelion - They slew each other.
    Isn't there a tower in Gondor called Ecthelion tower?
    The maia and Valar were Ainur who first arrived to middle earth. Valar are close to gods but still not that:
    A name wrongly given by Men to the Valar. While Tolkien states that Men have 'often' called the Valar gods, in fact the term is very rare in his books; it is most prominently used at the debate of Estolad, where the Men newly arrived in Beleriand dispute whether or not to remain. This is natural, of course; they had not at this point been tutored by the Elves in such high matters.

It is tempting to suppose that 'Men have often called them gods' refers to the years after the end of the Third Age, and might even suggest equivalences between the Valar and mythological gods of later times, such as those of the Greeks or Vikings. This cannot be correct, however; the Valaquenta represents a very ancient text within the context of The Silmarillion, probably dating from the mid to late First Age, and therefore can only refer to the Men of those times.

18. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Yes there was a tower in Minas Tirith called Ecthelion's Tower. This was originally called the White Tower, but was rebuilt by the Ruling Steward Ecthelion I, the seventeenth Steward of Gondor. He is not to be confused with Ecthelion II, the 25th Steward, father of Denethor II (Steward during the War of the Ring). The tower itself is therefore not named after Ecthelion of Gondolin, but it is likely that the Steward was. While Elves tended to choose unique names for themselves, Dúnedain tended to reuse names, often originally those of Elves in the past; for example Denethor was the leader of the Laiquendi, the Green Elves, in Beleriand.

19. Kyndig Gems: 1/31

Legolas's racial enemy would be orcs because they were bred by Sauron to be the twisted, maloevant, evil etc... versions of elves.

20. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Legolas is son of Thranduil lord of the elves of Mirkwood. But I dont know which enemies mostly invaded in Mirkwood :confused:
    Maldir? any ideas

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.