1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Looking for a quiet PC cooling solution

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Disciple of The Watch, May 8, 2006.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh. Then just choose any aftermarket HSF that's made for the P4; they're all better than the stock cooler.

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I like these for being so silent and having ceramic cradles to eliminate vibrations (which I mind, humming or non-vibrating jet rotation I don't). But I doubt they have the power. Of course, I can get a Scythe Ninja or Thermaltake Big Typhoon or Zalman 9000, but they're all so price it would make my upgrade quite silly an investment. ;)

[ January 10, 2007, 01:25: Message edited by: chevalier ]

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hm. I just did a quick search and it seems the HSF was the same for the Socket 478 Celeron and P4. So, I say just stick with it.

4. chevalier

Media:
    Yeah, everything there is the same except at some point Celeron coolers were all aluminium and real Pentium got copper, but I don't know if PIV continued the division. :) I'll gain quite a lot of respect for Intel box coolers if I see a Prescott survive on a Celeron cooler. ;)

For the future, what's your opinion on boxes with power supply in the front instead of the back? Does it get better by separating CPU from power supply and deconcentrating the heat a bit? Or at least a front fan - I really like the pretty Shinobi box but I see power supply is in the typical place and it's not the only pretty box around. *Sigh* Just in case my tutoring goes better and the new student stays around for a while. ;)

5. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    You can't hurt a P4 with heat because it automatically throttles back when it gets too hot. So, if you notice slowdown under high load then maybe you should try a different HSF solution.

Front vs. back? I've seen top vs. bottom, but I thought the PSUs all exhausted the air out the back...

6. chevalier

Media:
    I've seen just a single box with power supply in the front and it wasn't even expensive in its class - just a mass produced brand model. I'm getting the impression that replacing my holeless iron box with a new cooling-optimised box including a tube with a fan over the processor plus some additional fans and holes will do me better than getting a gigantic cooler... They say the tube really helps and all. Those new boxes sometimes have something in mind for the GPU cooling as well. The Shinobi one isn't the best I can get even for the same price - just the prettiest. Am I thinking right? ;) This Tracer looks quite competent, though my own Codegen iron box isn't bad - used ones cost little less than new Tracers and it even has some holes, just in the rear, under the power supply fan, close to where the processor is, air flow is good, power supply is good, if a bit low (350W). Maybe I could put a fan there and make the duct myself in my old box. Or do I still want to get a brand cooler?

[ January 10, 2007, 03:19: Message edited by: chevalier ]

7. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Honestly, if you're on a budget, I'd just go with what you have until you find out it's inadequate.

The PSU fan pulls cool air in from the bottom front (or if you have fans in the front they pull it in too) and exhausts the hot air out the top back. That's usually good enough unless your case is crammed full of stuff where the air flow isn't very good.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.