1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Looking for a notepad replacement

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by SlickRCBD, Mar 1, 2013.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm looking for a stripped down, simple replacement for notepad that only does one more thing than regular Windows notepad: Recognize and correctly open text files made on other systems with different line endings.
    Normal Windows uses LF & CR, some only use LF, some only use CR. When I try to open one of the latter in Notepad, it displays a wall of text.

Is there anything out there that can handle those foreign text files such as commonly found in greasemonkey scripts or userstyle styles that has the same low-memory footprint, and speed of loading as Notepad?

If I wanted a full-featured text editor, I could open the file in Microsoft Word or Open Office Writer, but those take time to load and lots of memory. I want something simple like Notepad.

Any suggestions? Notepad++ seems more like something designed for programmers, and greatly reminds me of an old Mac program called BBEdit Lite.
    It doesn't display the simplicity of Notepad.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What about WordPad? Comes with Windows just like Notepad...

3. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I don't think it's gets much more stripped down than Notepad, nothing would be left. Personally, I use Notepad++ instead of Notepad. It gets you tabs for switching between more files more easily, it has syntax highlighting for various programming languages and it has a splitscreen functionality, which is useful for displaying more than one file at the same time. Search and replace is generally faster, too, and the search is much more advanced.

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I thought wordpad had the same problem as Notepad, that it didn't recognize foreign line endings. Then again, I rarely use Wordpad since the Windows XP version of Notepad can now (heh, showing my age) open the larger files, unlike the Windows 95-98SE versions (I have no idea about the Windows ME version and can't recall how the 2000 version was. I never tried large files in the NT4 version at school).

As for stripped down, what I need is something that can display and make small edits to text files that use the Mac or Linux style line endings (CR only, LF only, instead of LF & CR) and save it back to the same format. Other than that, notepad does everything I needed for that purpose.

So, what I'm looking for is a version of Notepad that will interpret those strange line endings correctly instead of giving me a wall of text.

---------- Added 0 hours, 5 minutes and 16 seconds later... ----------

Looks like the Windows 7 version of Wordpad will interpret the files correctly while Notepad does not. I'll have to try it on the XP machine, but I was using the wrong computer.

I haven't tried Wordpad much since Windows 98SE when Notepad would report "This file is too large for Notepad. Would you like to open it in Wordpad instead?"

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.