1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Long live fusion energy

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Morgoroth, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4629239.stm

The first fusion reactor has been assigned to be built in France. Fusion is of course a dream long away still but it's a dream so good that it would be a crime against humanity not to try and pursue it. I'm fairly optimistic that I will see fusion plants in my lifetime but the result might as well be that we will never see fusion power as an alternative energy source. Anyway now the first political dispute is atleast over and perhaps they'll actually get to start the construction sometime soon.

2. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

If it's clean and reasonably safe, and the scientific community believes they can make it work, then why not try it?

3. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Will we ever have cold fusion?

4. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Nah, you need the steam.

5. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Steam? "Cold" Fusion means occurring at temperatures well below the ones of thermonuclear reactions - which are in the range of millions of degrees kelvin like in the sun. Steam is not nearly as hot as a cold fusion can be - so what is this about steam?

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Traditional power plants use some energy source to generate steam which then turns a turbine which in turn spins a generator, etc., etc. The only difference tends to be the fuel used to boil the water. Is this how cold fusion might be treated, as well, or will there be a whole new secondary side to such a plant?

7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

If fusion means that we cut back on spewing our fossil fuels into the atmosphere (something I admit I do far too often by driving) then I'm all for it! Cheap electricity for all!

8. khaavern Gems: 14/31

I assume that the power plant will run the usual way: generate heat, make steam, rotate turbine, etc. Only the process of generating heat will be different; rather than burning coal, they will split (or rather glue in this case) atoms. Although at some point I read they were trying to figure out a way to generate electricity directly - that would increase the efficiency of the process quite a bit - but nothing came out of it (yet).

Anyhow, they are a long way off, though. What they are trying to build is something one might call proof of concept - they have to show that it can work. Then they have to make it economically feasible - they have to show that you can make money out of it :)

9. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Well, the economically feasible part is easy. If you get a fullscale fusion reactor to work, you could what, provide electricity to a whole state or some such thing?

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That depends completely on how much excess energy you are producing. I don't remember hearing that they have passed the break-even point (meaning the energy produced by the plant is equal the the energy expended to run it) let alone producing enough power to pay for itself.

11. khaavern Gems: 14/31

Well, they are planning for it to be net energy producing (they say it will be considered a succes if you get out in the range of 5 to 10 times what you put in). However, the output in absolute terms is not so big (500 Megawats) for comparision the Hoover Dam is ~1,300 MW. I do not think it is easily scalable (that is, you cannot simply pump in more hydrogen (or deuterium) and expect more energy to come out. It will also be quite difficult to increase the dimensions of the ring (if you look at a picture, it is quite huge already) so probably the only way to increase output is to build more of them.

And of course from an investor point of view, just getting more energy than you put in is not enough. Question is, how much this energy is going to cost (after you take into account all the construction costs, etc.) Of course, there are not really other solutions in the long run, so...

12. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

*sigh* Guys, I was being sarcastic. The comment was a reference to the way that in conventional nuclear power plants the heat from the rods boils water, creating steam, which turns turbines. I know what cold fusion is.

@khaavern, etc:
    All new tech is unviable in the short term. It'll improve.

13. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Note to self: what is true in science fiction is not typically true in science fact.

*slaps self*

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Because pollitcians are idiots. You know that...everyone knows that. :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.