1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lionheart

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Jesper898, Jul 4, 2004.

1. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

A game, as a final product that puts on shelves, cannot expect its consumer to find a third party progame to make the game playable. My problem here is not the speed, is how the developer treat its customer. Playable rushed product is one thing, unplayble rushed product is another. A post i made after i finished the game, i had the pre order mind you, "Press ESC and what do you have? Under the Configuration screen, what do you have? Nothing." Icewindale 2 may be a rushed product using out of date system, but a least it comes with an extensive congifuration option that has, all along, its customers in mind.

Do not fall into the hole of a "correct built". If this game is as openedness as it claimed to be, there should not be a correct built, there should not be a correct way to play it. Now here is a role playing action game with extensive leveling up system. And now, you tell me there need a correct way to build a character? Diablo 2 was pretty successful, to me, because people were able to build archer Amazon into meatshield, known as tankazon, by maxing her evasive skill. SPECIAL system is not a new system. The game was based on a very good leveling system already. But now it needs player to correctly identify the correct setting in order to play through the game?

i wouldn't used BG series nor IWD nor Diablo nor other game to argue with you about linearlity. See the first part of the game, you went into Barcelona, you already have several quests available for you to play. Even, you have to choose your faction before you leave Barcelona, following the mage, inquistors, paladin or arabic people. This is a huge plus, any serious developer can readily exploit this "choosing side" plot and further it into later part of the game. What happened after you left Barcelona? What you had choosen doesn't matter. After Barcelona, a player will not need to make decision anymore. Not even our classic puzzle solving in dungeon. Just fight through everything.

Saturation, i did not mention this earlier. This is how its developer build the later stages of the game - pure saturation with monsters. No puzzle, no quest, just dungeon full of monster. This is linear.

2. Jechor Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

*COUGH*A BIG FAT WHATEVER*COUGH*

I've never heard so much crap in my life in a forum thread. I'm not even going to waste my time by replying to this thread unless I have a good reason too.

But yes there is a correct build of character, even for BG1 and 2 of course there was. Would you end up let me see....
    taking a paladin and having him all the way through with 18 str, 12 dex, and 16 con, using throwing daggers, cos thats all you made him proficient with ?
    That very basic analogy is a bad build because of multiple upon multiple flaws.
    I will admit I have not played Diablo2, but I have played 1, and I'll say now from my experience with 1, if you didn't put right stats up at the right time, to make your weapon the most effective at the time, then either a) you had to change your tactics b) buy a new weapon or c) wait til you levelled again.

It's exactly the same, you stuff up one stat or pick the wrong racial traits in Lionheart you're stuffed.

In any system if you're going to take someone built up stat wise for an archer, you're not going to put him in melee, if you have a wizard who has 6 con, you aren't going to have him as a frontline character, no matter what his ac is and then have your fighters with 20 con at the back firing missile weapons into melee combat.

Come on, think about it, it's just out and out plain stupid.

Every rpg whether it be computer based or not, has got a certain build for the character, if you dont build the character right you will fail, you guys should know this, and not be arguing it, and saying there doesn't have to be a correct built, cos there always is *rolls his eyes and falls to floor*

Sheesh.

3. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

No, there shouldn't be a "right" build. There can be good builds, and even best builds, and bad builds, but there shouldn't be a required character build. It should not happen, not if the developer is giving you the freedom. Even game devs will admit that.

And by the way, Diablo 2 did have great character balance and freedom. Check out the melee Sorceress build if you don't think it's possible to play any build in it.

All that said, I didn't like Lionheart because it was boring. I got the pre-order also. Played for a few weeks, then went back to BG 2 and D2, which, by the way, was a much better hack 'n slash.

4. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

You know, by claiming my post is full of crap without pointing out which part is the crap doesn't, at all, help me to understand your argument for the game.

That's what you mean by a correct build. Yes, you do need to develop a character accordingly. Accordingly meaning suiting the playing style that you are going to use on your character. It is pointless for me, also, to have 20 con paladin throwing darts. Let me ask you, is a 20 dex leather armor dart throwing paladin a wrong build? For me, it is not; for Lionheart it is.

You see, i am not the only person who sucked at building a character in Lionheart. If i can remember, pressure from the public made them (or a 3rd party) wrote a speed patch for the game. What does this indicates? Research were not done before making the game about what kind of popular pc system is being used by the masses or developer just tested the game using a melee character or they just rushed the product regardless. So rushed, i can't even adjust my resolution in a game published in 2003.

Going back to my initial argument, commend on the game, after you finished it.

5. Newfie Banned

Hey, Jechor, when you finish the game, give us your comments. I am sure you will be eating crow then. Until then, you cannot give us a valued opinion, unlike teekc.

Calling someone else's comments crap and stupid is ignorant and uncalled for. I don't see anything derogatory in teekc' s comments. If you don't feel like replying to this thread unless you have to, please step aside and do us all a favour, and don't.

I have played just about every RPG on the market: Diablo, Diablo 2, BG series, Icewind Dale series, P:T, ToEE, Demonstone, Fallout series, Morrowind, Warcraft, Everquest. I can honestly say, Lionheart does not even rank with those.

6. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Man, everyone chill out. It's a game, and a two or three year old one at that. It's amazing how excited everyone's getting over this.

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

okay, slightly off-topic, but has anybody played Sacred? It sounds very similar to this game as an RPG/hackfest and I wanted to ask which one was better

8. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ditto what Kam said. I couldn't have put it any better myself.

9. Arendil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Sacred is a good game, but veeery long, and gets boring very fast. Monster respawn very quickly, and you can't travel without few major battles.
    It is also very unforgiving, if your character is not developed properly you'll have no chance to survive later. Although main character is always resurected when he/she dies...
    Overall, somewhere in the middle of the game I decided to skip all sidequests, but still wasn't able to finish it (too boring)...but if you have a lot of spare time you can give it a try...

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

oh, thanks arendil. I just picked it up now. Mine gets kinda laggy at times, is there anyway to fix that? Also, what character do you recommend I try? I'm tempted by the Dark Elf but the Vampiress and Seraphim seem pretty tempting too.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] This is totally off topic, so either open a new thread or post in one of the existing Sacred threads, please.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.