1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Linear or side quests?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Beren, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A thread for discussing whether linear games are a good thing, or whether side quests should be available.

I know some game reviewers will call games for being too linear, because it forces a player to go through bottleneck after bottleneck in the same sequence every time.

On the other hand, does making side quests available also strain role-playing credibility?

The example that sticks out for me is ....

In BG2, some people may for practical reasons want to put off Chapters 4 and 5. But ya know, its like, "Imoen was my pal. But hey, there's no rush, even if Irenicus might kill her at any moment. Wracking up Celestial Fury and the Flail of Ages is more important first."

Or if you do go after Imoen right away, Irenicus has just stolen your soul, but somehow and conveniently there's just no urgency to that situation. "Hey, Irenicus just stole my soul, and it will doom me to die. But hey, there's no rush. I'll take my time exploring Amn, killing Firkraag and the Shade Lord, etc."

What do you guys think?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Depends.

Do you consider the cutscenes where Irenicus breaks free from the point of view of your character or not?

Throughout the game the identifiers of your quest are "I want revenge on a wizard who tortured me" or "I want to rescue a friend from the Cowled Wizards" which implies the designers didn't want the character to think that irenicus was loose and running the show... Yet.

Chapter Two side quests are the means of accruing the 20,000 gold for the Shadow Thieves. A practical Bhaalspawn would also anticipate the need for better equipment they can uncover (Or at least potions and scrolls) as the prison is oft described as a 'Fortress'.

Then there is the team who have their own demands for assisting you ("Of course I'll save your father, Nalia!") and a couple of situations where one is forced to work together also helps create a cohesive force.

Then there is the actual in game time and travel time. It may take longer to leave for Athkatla then come back later than to assist a town in its entirety and then leave with all the gold you can carry back to Gaelan Baels' place.

I remember playing the first time when Valen and Brus (?) approached me I was expecting a price HIKE my thoughts were along the lines of "I knew it!" smugly glancing at my 30,000... then realised I could pay both of them.

One playthrough after being given the "you'll live for a week, tops" after the soul abduction went on a suicidal spree pretty much (Also I keep mentally converting "week" to "tenday" in my head, does anyone else do that?) went around killing all the chromatic dragons, the HLEs then on the last day got wasted in the tavern, even had a little IC will :p Next day, woke up, got on with the quests a little sheepishly :lol:

3. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

The non-linearity was implemented terribly in BG2. Either you ignore the story and hug a walkthrough or you miss half the game.
    For roleplaying IWD is the far better game.

I don't mind non-linearity if it's implemented properly, an example are the Might and Magic games where you don't feel bad about exploring the world.

4. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I think a truly open world is pretty much impossible in a CRPG (that's what The Sims is for anyway ;)), so there has to be some degree of linearity. If there's a story, it has to progress. (Think fiction - beginning, middle, end, in the simplest sense.) And if a story is to progress, set pieces have to happen.

5. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

I'm happy with either depending on what the game is going for. Non-linear gives great freedom and an open world but linear obviously makes it a lot easier to construct a good plot and pacing. There's quite a spectrum in between. I don't like the KOTOR and Dragon Age approach. They let you choose the order of the middle parts of the game to try and disguise the linearity but I don't feel I have much freedom and it weakens the plot for those parts. Final Fantasy generally have a good system. It's very linear with good pacing but you can choose to head off on side quests if you want to. These rarely have any "story" elements though (either their own or connected to the main plot) and are mainly about getting new shiny toys. BG2 had an excellent system. Large chunks of it were on rails. The middle though was a load of side quests with their own plot and you needed to do at least some in order to progress. The timing lag doesn't bother me too much as I'm more of a completist than a roleplayer.

6. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I was terrified of Irenicus when I first started BG2. While I do not consider myself a true RPer, I think going after Irenicus asap is pure suicide considering how he so casually obliterated all those high level cowled mages.
    While I don't think doing every sidequest is sensible if you're RPing, you will need to do a lot of them (and as fast as possible) if you at least plan to justify that your PC is not (completely) suicidal. I guess the rest of the content was for other playthroughs, considering that you don't get to do every possible quest there is with just one character anyway (many quests are class-specific, for example).
    I think it's a shame that Baldur's Gate doesn't have Diablo's content randomization engine (this was something I would have loved to see in a sequel) because I think the real reason that BG2 becomes all about the sidequests the more you play the game is because metagaming is inavoidable in BG2. It doesn't help that almost every sidequest in the game comes with powerful material rewards.
    As for linear vs sidequests, I want a game which strives to have a strong main quest but still has lots of sidequests. All good games are like this, imo. Like BG gave you plenty of freedom in the beginning, but ultimately you'll find that the main quest is the driving force behind everything (it's the reason you're left wandering aimlessly for half the entire game in the first place).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.