1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Life...

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Disciple of The Watch, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I can't help but think that my life would be somehow empty even if I get a good job and make money and spend my weekends playing the latest computer game. Personally, I just think that life on the monetary and aesthetical level would be gratifying, yes, but satisfying or fulfilling? I wouldn't think so. This is because I believe that humans aren't amoebas or robots; hasn't someone said that the mystery of humanity lies not only in how man manages to live, but what man lives for?

2. tipperon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

why are we here?
    what do we live for?
    i dont think we will ever figure that out. it will most likely be THE question that mankind will work on for the rest of his days.

"Thank for all the fish"...lmao i love that

3. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

And probably the best argument for going out and finding something to live for, whether it's your studies, your family, your partner, your kids, your job, your religion or something else. Just don't **** up someone else's life in the process and we'll all get along fine. If, at the end of your days, all you've done is chase a question that may or may not exist, then what's the freakin' point?

Like Bruno said, find something that makes you happy, then set about achieving it. For your own sake, though, don't let it blind you to everything else around you, and remember that things can always change in ways you'd never expect.

4. tarneshed_heat Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Ive just read through all of this topic, every post and reaction to what people have said, and there is one thing i find very surprising. This being the simpe fact that one idea,albeit of controvercial nature, put foreward scared a select few of you posting on this topic.

This is in regards to "tipperon's" post about religion being a cure to depression. And I'm going to be the first to second his opinion. Now just sit down and read the rest of this before you start the unnessesary flaming, that niether of us care about considering we know not who the other is or where they live.

Religion when Taken in centext, yes does sound "hokey" and unbelieveable. Now take it for what it's meant to be taken as. Stick up for your fellow man, do whats right, and be happy with what you have. Are these messages to be scared of? thought not.

I have much more to say but I'm in a computer class and have to get back to work.

more from me later

5. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

1. How old are you ? If you're out of your teens I'll be surprised.
    2. Do you know what clinical depression is ? Which is what we've been talking about.
    3. Do you have firsthand knowledge and experience of dealing with anyone who has clinical depression or worse manic depression ?
    4. Have you ever visited or worked in a mental institutional facility and met the extreme cases of depression ?
    5. Has one of your friends felt so bad and unable to talk about it that they've taken their own life. ?

6. tipperon Gems: 3/31

Tarnesh you make a few good points, but as the horde of messages assulting my meager post said: depression is more. Not that I totally agree with how deep they beleive depression really runs in a human being. I still think they all agree that the world I moving quickly away from Gods teachings. it is old tradition in a new and fast changing world.

And i dont want any comments on my depression opinion till we're done with that of Tarnesh

7. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Your five questions make excellent points, DarkStrider. Living, or dealing with someone with a clinical depression, or worst, manic depression is extremely difficult. While I never knew anyone who took it's own life as a result of a depression/manic, I have no trouble believing it can actually happen. I had a manic depress, and it was difficult beyond words.

@Ofelix: Your sister lived this? Then you are well placed to know how difficult it is.

8. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Actually, its blue because the visible light spectrum shines through the air particles, where the 'blue' wavelengths (shorter ones) are absorbed by the gases in the air and then reflected all around, giving off a blue color. For more details, go to this web site. Not to burst your bubble, or anything, but the sky is blue for a reason :) .

And to quote Our Lady Peace:

"Life is waiting for you,
    It's so messed up, but we're alive.
    Oh, life is waiting for you,
    It's so messed up, but we'll survive."

Whatever the meaning of life is, we'll make it through.

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That's all well and good, but WHY does a shorter wavelength give off a blue colour?

You haven't really gotten to the real heart of the "why is the sky blue?" question.

10. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Isn't it due to the different chemicals in our atmosphere? No idea really, I'm just taking an educated stab in the dark... so a stab in the not so dark.

11. SatansBedFellow Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Twilight perhaps?

12. Saber

Did you check out the website?

13. tarneshed_heat Gems: 1/31

answers to previous questions about myeslf (that i can remember without going back to the thread to look at the questions)

yes I am a teenager
    yes i know what clinical depression is
    no i have never worked in a institution, or however you stated it.
    and yes i have known someone well, that took and/or made an attempt on there life beuase of depression.

To clear up the facts a little bit:
    I was not talkin about "clinical" depression. I was talking about "depression" in general. You can very well be depressed, yet funtion normal on a day to day, moment to moment basis. all depression, actual depression, yes,is a chemical imbalance. However there are people who force this own depression on themselves, possibly because of something that has happened. (ie. somebody dies in a car accident, and there closest friend becomes deeply traumatized by this event, beucause of thier disposition to it, and how they've learned to take these events emotionally) The mind is an incredibally powerful thing, and I would say that if you can fully harness the power of your mind, their is nothing you cant do, or overcome. depression included. For instance, and this came from a news reoport of a antibiotic company in the states (however the state eludes me at the moment): 15 test subjects had the same health problem. (info not released as to what this was, other than it was some strain of influenza) each were given 2 pills a day for 1 week. At the end of this week, 6 people were feeling completely fine, and tests concluded that they were completely healthy. the remaining 9 were still nautious and bedridden. The Catch : the test subjects had all been given placebo's.

Now, this proves that if the mind is so strongly set toward something, obviously there is great power, and potenial here. Aside from all the "scientific" fact that this could never happen. people were cured by placebo's. and I dont believe sugar pills are a cure for the flue, there was most definatly some higher power at work. weather it be the almighty, or the almighty mind with which we percieve everything that happens to us on a daily basis. Thus is life. You create your own world, and the people around you shape it, however YOU let them. And depression clinical or not, is essentialy those with notihng to believe in, believing so strongly that they need help, as to make themselves a physical embodyment of that need.

and next time anyone decides to attack my "age" because of how you read a something posted by me, think, if only for a second; why does age matter? when clearly its about experience, and how you have learend from your experiences that will shape your life. Perhaps I havent had as many experiences in the "real world" but if you were to live my life, you would be as hopelessly screwed as if i were to live yours.

14. tipperon Gems: 3/31

Depression is only an emotion; your emotions are changed by your experiences in your life. Things that make you depressed are calculated through that mush that is your brain and converted into what you think is an appropriate emotion. In that case depression only becomes an illusion in which you see you surroundings. The inability to conquer depression is what is commonly referred to as weakness. I think those who are always depressed and do stupid things like slit their wrist are just weak human beings. They need to be slapped and brought back into the reality of life. Depressed people are solely concerned with their emotions whether they admit it or not. They need to tune into what other people feel. If they think there is nothing left to live for then they have fallen into a delusional state that doesn't allow reason. I am sick of depressed people always talking about how their life sucks (IF ITS THAT BAD THEN STOP COMPLAINING AND FIX IT!!! YOU ARE NEVER POWERLESS!!).

15. tarneshed_heat Gems: 1/31

thank you tipperon. This is exactly "if not a little bluntly" what i was trying to get across

16. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I take VERY serious offense to that. Depressed people are weak?!? Dig *THIS*: I faced a *manic depression* WITHOUT any medication *at all*. It was difficult beyond words, yet I have pulled it off! And you dare to call me *WEAK*! Have *YOU* ever been through a manic depression? Do *YOU* have even the slightest idea what living with a manic depression is like?!?

I have to cast off... I shall do a follow-up to this post as soon as I can. This isn't over.

17. Saber

Alas, age does matter, for generally, people who have gone to college know a lot more than people who haven't finished high school.

Placebos have been used in many, many tests to prove that the sickness is only a state of mind. Your example of influenza, however, is not related to depression (excpet for the fact that they are both medical conditions), and thus is not as weighted as if you gave us an example involved with clinically depressed people coming out of their depression using placebos.

In any case, by telling use that you think a higher power was at work doesn't furthur this debate. By telling us (or agreeing with) that the cure for depression is religion, and then backing it up (with an opinion, not proof) by saying "there was most definatly a higher power at work," you are just digging yourself deeper into a hole. Please back things up with proof, not unjustifiable opinions.

And Ofelix: I wasn't trying to tell you you were wrong, I was just pointing out that your example was not a very good one...

18. tipperon Gems: 3/31

dude, the fact that you pulled out is what shows your not weak. its those who can't, who live their whole lives in depression who are the weak ones. I cannot and will not pity or show remorse for those stupid enough to take their own life. Suicide is for the cowerdly or the weak. And self mutilation is something a lunitic would do. no sane person massacres their own body just to make them feel better.

19. tarneshed_heat Gems: 1/31

Saber, honestly, your picking apart my phrasing? c'mon really.

I know the point Im attempting to get across as much as you know what it is, I can tell you are smart, for I have read your other posts and your words are wise. I just completely disagree with the idea that "life" (including depression) is beyond our ability to manipulate greatly. I am also fed up with people tearing apart, catholics, and religous people in general. Obviously I am very religous, and my opinion is biased, I dont argue that. Just try and be open to what I mean, and not how it is typed. Ive learned alot from you, and others in posting here, knowledge that will serve me well, no doubt, later on.

so no harm, no foul alright. we're both deadset in our beliefs, but I'm not completely disregarding what you say, I'm learning from it, and shaping my view of the world around it. If you as much older than myself as your making yourself out to be, grow up.

20. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

How did this turn into a depressive-bashing thread? :confused: I thought it was about "Life..." :shame:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.