1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Life...

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Disciple of The Watch, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I didn't say they should all die, I am just saying that they shouldn't squander the opportunity placed in front of them. By being in the school, they take the place of someone else, who might not ruin the chance to do something good. And yes, my school wants good athletes, but can't we at least get smart athletes? Apparently not...

2. tipperon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

and there you are wrong. i know much about depression, i had a HUDGE spurt of it a few years ago. i have seen people waste their lives in misery and i have seen death because of depression.
    and you are wrong about the whole religion not being a good cure. i know many religious ppl who are happy as a bee. (horrible simile) it can be the right cure if you treat it with reverence and profound respect. though its not for everybody, i can be the answer. you just have to look beyond what you see ;)

and sorry Susipaisti, offence was not intended. religion just may not be your thing.

3. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I don't believe in religion being a cure for depression. (Atheist and proud to be!)

Call me a crazy mofo if you want, but I never gobbled pills to cure my maniaco-depression. I have lived the gloom through and through. These aren't the best years of my life, but at least I have survived. What for, I don't know. But I have survived.

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Tipperon, what works for you does *not* work for everyone on the planet. :nono: I never said religion was not a good cure. If it helps you, fine, but please don't expect it to help others. TYVM. Though I do wonder what you define as 'depression'. A topic for another thread I suppose.

I also find it odd that you would apologize to Susipaisti, but not to me or anyone else offended by your remarks. :hmm:

You get born, you live and you die. That's life. - Jo Polniaczek :grin:

5. SatansBedFellow Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Like Ofelix and Feliniod, I disagree with the view that the universe is a closed, coherent, intelligible system, but I find the resulting contingency a cause for lamentation. In consequence of an absence of rational understanding of the universe and the resulting sense of the absurdity in human life; modern humanity has lost the ‘nearness and shelter’1. of Being*; we are no longer at home in the world as primitive man was; truth is no longer revealed; thought is separated from Being and only a favoured few have any hope of recapturing oneness with Being. The spontaneous innocence of the child (and of humanity in its childhood) has been corrupted with the onset of our intellectual separation from Being. As we are unable to return into an authentic communion with true Being I doubt we will ever have a true sense of belonging, and, so, be forever lost.

*Peoples' own consciousness of their place in the world, or of what the world is for them.

1.“Sein und Zeit (1927, trs. As Being and Time, 1962)”. Heideggar, Martin.

6. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Basically, that's saying that the human race has failed. I can't say I disagree.

7. tipperon Gems: 3/31

lol, well sry all. im accually not religious :p i just know alot of them...and tend to read alot of religion based books.

i just wanted to throw a solution into the air and see how you all digest it. just a little while ago i read in a magazine article about somebody who miracuously overcame depression by religion and i was inspired to spread the message. then of course i sat back and wallowed in my heathen-ness.

lol, it was just an idea than sparked of many intresting remarks.

and sorry kuemper and the rest, after susipaisti's message i just skipped the rest and replied. appologies to all.

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The human race has failed what? I didn't realise there had been a test. Life is what it is. Deal with it.

9. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Next time, Tipperon, please tell us you got it from a magazine, or at least tell us it worked for you. By stating (and sounding pretty confident about it) that religion is the cure to depression, you are justing asking for angry reactions.

10. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Didn't you? The results came out a few weeks ago. Turned out we failed terribly. Infact, we failed by so much that experts are currently lost over how we got as far as we did. Infact, some are even wondering how we even invented fire! Seems we must have cheated in some way to get as far as we have. Copying off others exam papers, prehaps? Or maybe we bribed the umpires with a gold watch? How ever we did it, the tests clearly prove that the human race is a complete and utter failure and that pinguins should really be the dominante speices on the planet.

11. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Actually, it's currently a tie between dolphins and cats. ;)

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Pinguins? We definitely failed the spelling test anyway.l

13. Phone_Tools Gems: 3/31

You ask, what is the meaning of life? It's obviously a question that has troubled mankind for a very long time. Is life simply what you make of it, and the meaning of life thus simply what you make of it? Perhaps.

That being said, even if you think you know what the meaning of life is, I would still think that it would be wise to look at some other points of view on the meaning of life, because there is always the chance that you could be wrong, unless you are 100% positive and know from your own experience.

What do the religions say the meaning of life is? In very general terms, I would say that most religions consider the 'point' of life to be to find your salvation and eventually return to the source of being or whatever you want to call it (heaven). And here is where my opinion enters: what if all religions are preaching the same thing at their most fundamental level? What if, all cosmetics aside, every religion is essentially teaching the same universal path to salvation that has become wrapped up in metaphors and symbols within the religion so that only those with the utmost diligence can find it, and so that ordinary people who don't want to find this path won't deface it?

Ok, well for me, i think the answer to these questions is a big YES. My way of thinking is what is now known as modern gnosticism. The main idea with it is to not believe anything, but to reach enlightenment yourself, gaining knowledge from experience. There are some empirical guidelines and methods to do this, but these are not to be taken for face value, you're supposed to find out for yourself whether they work.
    For a free online book dealing with life's big questions, go here: http://www.gnosticweb.com/documents/EN_Revolutionary_Psychology.pdf
    seriously, it seems really wierd at first but read the first few chapters at least. i was amazed when i first read it. there's also way more about it on that website.

Ok, so that's my take on life. I'm sorry if I sound really preachy or have offended anyone at all. That's my opinion, take it or leave it.

-Phone Tools

14. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Hey, it was 4pm! I was tired... Well, not really. I can't spell. I was thinking of going with chickens, because that one I can spell, but it didn't have the same ring to it.

Anyway, just to get a bit back on topic, I can't honestly agree that there is no meaning to life, nor that we shouldn't think about it. I actaully think Felinoid is onto something with his last post. Prehaps, just prehaps, our true meaning in life is to serve the cats?

[Edit] Apologies if I have insulted anyone with my last two posts....[/Edit]

15. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Actually Fel the Dolphins have it they sent us a nice trophy saying 'So long and thanks for all the fish' :)

The problem I find with life is not in the meaning but in the living. No matter how much I'd like to think otherwise I'm a small blob of protoplasm in an expanding universe and I really don't mean much to that universe. I came to grips with most of that a long time ago without the crutch of a belief system. For me personally (and it may well be a delusion, but it ain't broke so why fix it) it's a case of s*** happens, you deal with it and move on; the trick seems to be keep moving, keep learning, keep trying. It's when we stop that trouble always ensues I find.

This is my life, I live by my rules it doesn't and probably won't work for other people, that's the sad part there is no universal panacea for this question but find your own answer or borrow someone else's if it works for you.

16. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

the meaning of me:
    live my life as i wan't to, do what a feel like

meaning of the human race:
    none, the human race is a mere footnote in the book of the universe, wich will never be read by anyone

17. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

:mommy: Ah nuts, they're on to us. Quickly, to the Catcave! :shake:

$.02:
    Life is.

18. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    WOA hold your horse! Humans didn't failed the ''life'' What's this ****? Life can't be failed nor can it be passed. It's just life, why bother with that crap? '' Why is the sky blue'' Well, ''because it's blue, that's all '' What is life? Life is Life.

The disciple; hey must've been though my sister has the same mental disease and man sometimes it ain't easy seeing her.

19. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Life for me at least is a continuous hunt of my dreams.
    I just go by the moto "pan metro ariston"
    That means everything has a limit, to give its true meaning.
    For me life is just a not a constant pursue of happiness but the evergoing process of learning (even through mistakes and painfull moments) and enjoying every lesson.
    I try to be true to myself and to others and whenever i fell to sleep at night i want to have no guilt for anything i did. That is what life is for me.

20. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Forty-two.

There is no secret formula, no 'one way' you should live. Find what makes you happy, then do it (unless you're kuemper -- girl, you need help ... felonies :) ).

If you live for the weekend, get a job that will pay for your habits.

If your work is part of your happiness, make sure you keep it that way (don't get caught up in what others think you need to do).

If family makes you happy, don't allow work to interfere.

If religion is key to your life, live your religion.

I only really believe in one rule -- basically, the golden rule -- harm no one (with the corollary 'unless they deserve it').

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.