1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Life...

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Disciple of The Watch, Oct 30, 2005.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

My outlook on life stems from a childhood event, which I won't get into. Needless to say, I got sick of looking for the good things in life and swallowing my teeth afterwards. Depression, for me anyway, makes me not care about 99% of the crap going on in the world. That 1% is my close family and 2 friends. Am I crazy? Yup. Are the people who think life is effing fantastic? Yup. Does it really matter? No. :)

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

MAH-velous, kuemp. You deserve a hug for this.

/me quickly hugs kuemp and dodges sharp objects

I would call them sickeningly optimist instead of crazy...

3. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Excuse me, Adelth is the foppish idiot.

kuemp, if 1% of the world is your family and friends, then you have a massive family. Huuuuuuge. But, I agree. Screw the rest. Who needs 'em? Most of them don't even make it in life (all of the 'cool' people in school who wasted a good opportunity at an education and end up working at a job that requires no brainpower.)

Speaking of nobodies: I go to a private school that has a very good educating system. However, for some stupid reason, the school accepts unintelligent dolts who only know how to play sports. Those people waste the opportunity that has been given to them. They have a chance to do great things, but they don't. And all of those people who get turned down miss that opportunity, even if they deserve it more. The 'cool,' athletic, unintelligent people are a waste of space at schools that require brains.

Anyways, that rant was long, but I had to do it. Bringing it back to the life topic: those are the people who won't make it anywhere because they squander opportunities. Those are the 99% of people I don't care about, in my case.

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Life has a meaning, everything has. That I don't always know it is a different matter. If I like it is irrelevant, hate is a waste of energy. I enjoy it, especially the connection with the universe and with nature and I'm certainly not waiting for death. I like the feeling that I really am alive, but I take my time, am not obsessed with how many things I could be doing if I cared or how much better it could be if I weren't so lazy. I like to enjoy things but I don't want to be a slave of any of them. I don't like excess... but I don't like excess in lack of excess, either. Moderation in everything, including moderation seems to be quite a nice rule. Of course, to be taken with a pinch of salt. I am here and I am there. Between unhealthy enthusiasm and unproductive defeatism you will find me, not always in the middle.

5. Disciple of The Watch

This topic sure is more popular than I thought it would... interesting.

@Saber: Once again, I am inclined to agree. You're pretty wise for 15, you know that?

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    No, no, no. Carpe jugular.

:p

7. tipperon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

i just find people who are depressed lazy. there are hundreds of thousands of things you can do to entertain yourself, make yourself happy or to help you find meaning. those who go through life always depressed are just wasting their time. FIND YOUR OWN HAPPYNESS other people are not going to live your life for you.

However, those who stop and smell the roses too much are unaware of the panther sneaking up behind them. Exceedingly happy people need to tune into reality a little more.

And a tip for those depressed: find a religion. Even if you dont have any trust in the almighty or in karma, religion is still a good path to take. All the religions in the world are the same things in different wrapings. Religion helps you become a better person-and in that light-find yourself. Self awareness is sometimes the path to meaning. You just need to be aware of your inner needs.

(and sorry if i went a little off topic. hope I didnt offend any of you)

8. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

My outlook on life? Live it to your full. Do what you enjoy, until you no longer enjoy it, then do something else! I hate hearing these people complain about how much they hate a job yet they never leave it for something more enjoyable. If you can help make the world a better place while enjoying life, all the better. If not, who cares. As long as you've had fun, done everything you wanted in life and had fun, that's all that counts in the end.

That's how I've tried to live my life so far, and how I plan to continue living it. During my schooling life I've just taken subjects that I've enjoyed, not ones that people think I should take, ones that I'm good at, or anything else. Next year when I'm off to uni I'm doing exactly the same. Political Scinces and Economics. People ask if I want to be an economist or something like that when I grow up. My reply usually is something along the lines of "Never. I'd hate to be stuck behind a desk". Which usually follows by why I'm taking those subjects then. "Because I enjoy them". After that, who knows. Currently I'm thinking of getting into teaching for a few years, while travelling the world. Then settle down with a family, and get into politics or diplomacy. As long as it's fun, who cares.

9. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    It would suck if life had a meaning, why should life has a meaning? We're here, good, that's it that's all. Might as well get some happyness before the end. No seriously I take life for what it is; life. I don't want a meaning or a purpose. Imagine, all of out the sudden somebody or something came to you and told you; the purpose of life is THIS. Now knowng this can you realy do anything but THIS. Even though you might *hate* it? Maybe some won't do THIS but they'll *know* that their life has no purpose since they don't follow THIS. Got my meaning? Getting a job you like is as essentiel as anything in life. People enjoy life! Go and see thing! The world is vast and many thing can trigger the imagination, your mind and imagination can lead you to another plane of existence. Anyway life has no meaning and that's what is cool about it.

Can't understand why people wants to find meanings and purposes to everything. Can't you just accept somethings may be completly useless but worthy nonetheless? Siting in the woods admiring nature serve no purpose. Enjoying food and wine with friends is puposeless too, still we do it. It's up to everyone to live the life they want.

Fuel your imagination, your mind! Don't let the ''logic'' of the world control you. Nothing is more boring than ''logic''. You are the sole master of your mind, might as well get creative and enjoy it eh?

10. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

@Ofelix:
    :thumb: :roll:

11. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

The purpose of life is to live.

...not sure where I read that...

12. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

My exact thoughts. I sure could be doing something that I enjoy instead of going to school, but then what would happen? Sucky job/no job at all --> not much money --> low social status --> less options on what to do --> sucky, booring life.

About athletes: they have a right to live too, you know... I mean, if they get into a school because of their athletical skills, they should still be able to go to the school if they keep their grades average... Many of the top schools want good athletes to make a name for themselves.

13. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

tipperon, I'm tempted to say something really rude to you, but I won't. You obviously don't know a thing about depression.

And yes, you offended me.

14. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Tipperon you know nothing about depression and to suggest that the cure-all for it is religion is obscene.

I know of two people who died as a direct result of clinical depression, one my best friend hung himself and the other his girlfriend overdosed despite being a devout catholic. You can tell their families their deaths were not a result of imbalnced brain chemistry and illness but laziness.

Oh yeah you've offended me, and please next time you want to make a generalization know what you're talking about.

15. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I really can't be bothered to think about useless things such as the meaning of life. I take one step at a time preferrably forward in my life. What kind of steps they are depend on how I feel at the time.

16. Disciple of The Watch

I agree with Susipaisti and DS. Never speak of something you don't know a damn thing about. I am still struggling with the remains of my own maniaco-depression (the type of depression that shifts your mood from hyper to moody in a split second). Depression is not a laughing matter. And neither is it a sign of laziness.

And, yes, you offended me as well.

17. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The things that would make me happy are felonies. :evil:

:pope: Religion didn't help me much as a child through my teens (Catholic fyi) and I've spent the last 20 years finding my own way to deal with 'a higher power'. By sifting through the :bs: of Catholicism and combining it with other religions, I have a faith of my own. Religion might help some, but not me.

Do you understand that some depressions (mine to be specific) are a result of a chemical imbalance in the brain? I have a standing prescription for several anit-depressants, but I found whenever I would display any sort of emotion, my familiy would badger me about taking my pills. I couldn't be happy at seeing a kitten or cry over Ol' Yeller without hearing my mother say, "You need to take your pill."

I have found much relief for my anger in computer games like Mortal Kombat, Unreal Tourament and Jedi Academy. Also, buying cheap, breakable chatchkis and giving them a slam against the wall will let out a lot of steam.

I have discovered ways to deal with my depression that don't affect my family and friends - I do all my destruction when I am alone in the house.
    :hahaerr: You did, but I don't think it really bothers you that much, now does it? :grin:

18. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Yes, alot of depression is chemical, not religion based...

And a possible reason for depression is that the person cannot find anything to do, so don't yell at people to find one of the 'thousands of things' that they can do...

And yes, you have offended me. While I am not depressed now, there have been stages in my life where I am gone months and months of being depressed, and nothing made me happy.

Next time, please speak from experience.

19. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Well, life. That's the Big Question, isn't it?

/me ponders and organizes thoughts...

Well, firstly - the flip, funny answer would be 'Life sure beats the alternative.' :lol:

But seriously, meaning or purpose to life is, IMO, something a person has to find for THEMSELVES; I can't promise you my ideas are The Answer, but if they help you find yours, that's win-win. (see below)

I'd have to say I live my life by a modified :hippy: credo:

If it feels good - and it doesn't deny others their happiness - do it.

Joy and happiness are...welll...they're just great! We're getting into indescribable stuff here ("Define the shape of love" or "Describe the color of pride" :heh: ) And I'll be honest - I'm more than just a hedonist like most - I'm positively selfish when it comes to being happy. I'm addicted to it!

And here's a little secret; I dunno if anyone - anyone - else on the planet feels like this, but I've got a positive compulsion toward philanthropy and helping others and making people happy. Maybe it's part of this actual empathy I have, or whatever, but Mark Twain's saying is utterly true for me:

The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up.

So that's all there is to it for me; I like to be as happy as possible, and a big help to that is making other people happy...

20. Lost Meme Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I remember seeing that somewhere, I thought it was particularly relevant here.

Anyway, to me life seems like a nice way to pass the time until [insert apocalypse here]. One of the reasons why I haven't killed myself is that I want to see what happens next.
    I don't know why we live and, frankly, I don't care. If you want a reason for living make it up yourself, IMHO you can't be wrong. Live your life and live it the way you want to live it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.