1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Letting your kid on SP

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Silvery, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I see no reason why a 13 yr old should not be allowed by parents or guardians to join SP. It is IMO the best run Board I have run across. Oh, there is one more but it is basically private and devoted to the Elder Scrolls.

Not only do Tal, BTA and the Moderators keep an eye out for inappropriate posts but so do other members and will report a post if they find it questionable. AoDA and AoLS? If he or she is able to understand what is being talked about they might have some good insights to post. Young people can often see the basic truth better than an older person who has accumulated a lot of baggage. psted by a :geezer:

As for FAI or other chatrooms. Since I'm an op maybe I'm biased but for a first chatroom experience I think it is a good one. No l33t speech, no personal attacks (Hokay, hokay there are trout attacks.) Since anyone can enter FAI the child should have a good understanding that there are creeps out there and DO Not post information that would identify them.

2. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Back in the day we didn't need any content control software and such...only our own judging capacities and that seems to have worked just fine for many of the "first generation"... maybe it's because most of us were clever nerds that picked up and grasped the Internet philosophy and dynamic very quickly, web 1.0 ftw. Web 2.0 (which sounds slightly retarded) is like the whole Windows movement towards Vista. Everything had to be prettier and more user friendly, but what lies behind the desktop image is more and more hidden.

Don't just tell your kids don't do this or don't do that - try to explain to them how the Internet works.

3. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    I'm with Uytuun, I had to control software on my PC when I was a kid, and I turned out fine, I knew myself not to go visiting dodgy sites etc... Its because of the Taboo of them nowadays which makes kids want to go find those sites and see what its all about. Also kids like doing the opposite of what their parents say, so forbidding them from going to those sites just makes them want to go visit them even more.

4. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Not to talk to me? But i'm great! You enjoy talking with me.

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Oh my. Why does everyone think such bad of me? :-(

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] You're the equivalent of the badass uncle that all the kids love and all the parents despair over because of the expanded vocabulary after every visit :thumb:

Montresor likes this.
  7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Fantastic! Just the persona I was looking for!

8. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    @Tak: Look where we ended up!!

9. Takara

Media:
    That was circumstances! Not us. That and my MS. :(

10. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Not talking about the break up you fruit!! I was talking about before that and how we are now, filthy boy!

11. Takara

Media:
    Filthy? Hmmm, yes. But you loved it.

12. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Let the little 'un to the chatroom, we'll all be good. We promise... :D

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I reckon the Sesame Street website is better for little kids than SP. What on earth would a little kid want to come on this site for? Seriously! Come on. It's not about whether it's dangerous here, more that we simply don't really cover the sort of material that little kids would be interested in.

More importantly, given that they don't teach proper grammar and spelling in schools any more, very few school kids would even meet the strict posting rules on this site, so would get banned pretty quickly anyway.

/end Geezer rant :geezer:

14. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    They don't teach, or some of the kids never bother to learn? :p

And there's always spellchecker...

15. Silvery

Media:
    Harbour, you're another fruit! I'm not talking about him being like 5 or something. I'm talking about when he's a teenager. I'd rather he was on here where he was relatively safe that on certain other sites where you hear a lot of horror stories

16. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Think of it this way Harbour, SP's probably the best place on the internet to learn proper grammar :p

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I guess so. A few harsh corrections from the Grammar Nazis on these Boards would soon whip those useless kids into shape.

So we're talking about teenagers now then, not little kids? What control do you have over teenagers anyway? Isn't it a bit moot to be talking about what you'd LET your teenagers do?

18. Silvery

Media:
    The joys of parental control settings!

19. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] oh please, like they ever work :p

20. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    He must join us. Resistance is useless. :borg:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.